Toyo M/T vs Ridge Grappler

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
I love my Coopers, but we’re starting to go on quite a few road trips and I’m trying to get a little quieter and smoother ride. I’ve been looking at the Ridge Grapplers and have heard they are supposed to be extremely quiet and smooth. Also considered the Toyo MT for a while and heard they are decently quiet.

Found a smoking deal on the Toyos for $289/ea +tax as where the Grapplers are $330/ea

My only quarrel with the Toyos is that I wouldn’t be getting them from Discount so I can’t get the Certs on them as I could with the Nittos

Want to get others input that have experience with either of these tires

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Abntroop

I love my Coopers, but we’re starting to go on quite a few road trips and I’m trying to get a little quieter and smoother ride. I’ve been looking at the Ridge Grapplers and have heard they are supposed to be extremely quiet and smooth. Also considered the Toyo MT for a while and heard they are decently quiet.

Found a smoking deal on the Toyos for $289/ea +tax as where the Grapplers are $330/ea

I love my Toyo’s but if they are quieter I’d hate to hear the alternative. My hearing isn’t great but even I find them loud. This is going to be a matter of opinion thread and may not end up being as helpful as you might hope. For reference I ran BFG AT K/O and K/O2’s for years and they were a lot quieter, but then it’s an apples to oranges comparison what with AT vs MT

Typed on my iPhone with my Jimmy Dean sausage fingers

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
I love my Toyo’s but if they are quieter I’d hate to hear the alternative. My hearing isn’t great but even I find them loud. This is going to be a matter of opinion thread and may not end up being as helpful as you might hope. For reference I ran BFG AT K/O and K/O2’s for years and they were a lot quieter, but then it’s an apples to oranges comparison what with AT vs MT

That’s good to know! I know Eddie has said they are probably the quietest of the mud tires out there, but wasn’t sure how that compared to an AT/Hybrid. I’m guessing the Ridge Grapplers will be a bit closer to the KO2.

Abntroop

That’s good to know! I know Eddie has said they are probably the quietest of the mud tires out there, but wasn’t sure how that compared to an AT/Hybrid. I’m guessing the Ridge Grapplers will be a bit closer to the KO2.

In my experience the BFG’s are great, long lasting tires, but come snow time, not all that great, you hit mud, not great, traction, so so, but if you are daily driving and hitting dirt and gravel roads they are a very good tire, thick sidewalk, explored most of Oregon and Wa on them. For harder wheeling.. there are better options. Toyo’s biggest downside is their weight. A lot of rolling weight there but they are stout. Given how many brands of tires Eddie has run over the years I’d be inclined to follow that, he doesn’t tend to sugarcoat.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
In my experience the BFG’s are great, long lasting tires, but come snow time, not all that great, you hit mud, not great, traction, so so, but if you are daily driving and hitting dirt and gravel roads they are a very good tire, thick sidewalk, explored most of Oregon and Wa on them. For harder wheeling.. there are better options. Toyo’s biggest downside is their weight. A lot of rolling weight there but they are stout.

I’ve have 2 sets of KOs in the past when I lived in AZ and had the same experience. Great on pavement, okay in dirt and sticky rocks, kinda sucked everywhere else. But all in all a nice ride.

Now that I’m in TX an A/T just won’t cut it (in my opinion) when I do get out since all the damn rocks here are covered in mud [emoji24], but putting on so many highway miles lately I don’t want the noise of a true MT.

Sounds like I’ve made my own mind up here [emoji23]

Ddays

Hooked
The Ridge Graps are definitely quieter than the BFG's that came on my '19 Rubicon. Nice tires - I like them a lot. They've performed very well offroad too. Balanced very nicely - didn't need much weight at all. Nice balance of on-road and off-road performance. Not as good as my '14 with the Coopers, but still pretty good.

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
I ran Ridge Grapplers on my 12 JK, really quiet. They performed really well on everything but ice(not that anything but a dedicated tire does). They had great road manners. I have zero issues recommending them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
i have a set of 35" Toyo MTs and absolutely love them. They aren't that loud on road and are great off road. I have around 30K on mine and can still probably squeeze another 20K out of them, and that's with two seasons of wheeling on them.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
The Ridge Graps are definitely quieter than the BFG's that came on my '19 Rubicon. Nice tires - I like them a lot. They've performed very well offroad too. Balanced very nicely - didn't need much weight at all. Nice balance of on-road and off-road performance. Not as good as my '14 with the Coopers, but still pretty good.

I’ll be going from 37x13.50 to the 12.50 Graps so I’m sure I’ll notice it Offroad, but the thousand miles I’ve been doing on-road for every 30 miles offroad is definitely swaying the decision.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
i have a set of 35" Toyo MTs and absolutely love them. They aren't that loud on road and are great off road. I have around 30K on mine and can still probably squeeze another 20K out of them, and that's with two seasons of wheeling on them.

The Toyos, among several others, are on my bucket list to run. I’m thinking Grapplers are going to win this round though...

wjtstudios

Hooked
Ran the ridge grapplers on my Ram and loved them. When the new one arrives, they’ll be going on that truck as well.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 Jeep Scrambler

I ran the Toyo MTs for a couple years and they aren't any quieter than the Trail Grapplers I have now. You are going to get a nice whine on any mud tire. The Ridge Grapplers are definitely quieter and they smooth out the ride. IMO they are also the best looking all terrain on the market.

My only quarrel with the Toyos is that I wouldn’t be getting them from Discount so I can’t get the Certs on them as I could with the Nittos

Top Bottom