2013 with ORANGE coolant?

difflock

My 2013 has orange coolant. I siphoned some out of the tank just to make sure. Orange is typically HOAT (2012 and older). My owner manual says use OAT (purple). I'm confused, and mixing the two can ruin your engine. I think I'll need to do a complete flush and refill with OAT. Anyone else?

OAT appears orange in certain lighting and angles. Dip a q-tip or paper towel in it to see if it’s purple. It’s confusing, but if it’s OAT it’ll be purple on the fabric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

difflock

OAT appears orange in certain lighting and angles. Dip a q-tip or paper towel in it to see if it’s purple. It’s confusing, but if it’s OAT it’ll be purple on the fabric.

It still looks orange on the qtip, but very light so its hard to tell. Must have been diluted. I'm going to have the dealer check my VIN to confirm and then do a full flush.

CharlesC

FYI. 2013 mid build, factory changed the type used. Found this out the hard way. Took 3-4 flushes to get it right on mine. It really sucked! [emoji482] on their dime though. Tech thought it should be orange and red flagged the Jeep as it was compromised some time before. They topped it off with orange when it should of been purple. PITA!!! It took me researching this to bring it to their attention to fix it. And the only thing that made it right was the VIN. Good luck man[emoji482]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

difflock

FYI. 2013 mid build, factory changed the type used. Found this out the hard way. Took 3-4 flushes to get it right on mine. It really sucked! [emoji482] on their dime though. Tech thought it should be orange and red flagged the Jeep as it was compromised some time before. They topped it off with orange when it should of been purple. PITA!!! It took me researching this to bring it to their attention to fix it. And the only thing that made it right was the VIN. Good luck man[emoji482]

this is exactly what I don't want. I've been topping it off with distilled water, but can't keep doing that. also I'm not the original owner so I don't know what they've put in there. VIN check, flush and re-fill for the win.

Lojo

this is exactly what I don't want. I've been topping it off with distilled water, but can't keep doing that. also I'm not the original owner so I don't know what they've put in there. VIN check, flush and re-fill for the win.

Definitely your best bet... the paper towel trick works good, just get it out of the sunlight and you can see the color better.

difflock

I took the VIN to the stealership... they said its supposed to be OAT. I'm going to flush and refill with the purple stuff.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Geesh🤣 my bad. Make sure to run the heater so that the “gate valve?” opens to the heater core. Hope that explains it. Probably not, but I hope he gets the point?

Just busting your balls, but I don’t think there is a valve that blocks coolant from traveling through the heater core, at least on his Jeep. Maybe I’m wrong? I always love opportunities to learn something.

difflock

Just busting your balls, but I don’t think there is a valve that blocks coolant from traveling through the heater core, at least on his Jeep. Maybe I’m wrong? I always love opportunities to learn something.

the tutorials always say "run your heater" so I figured that's what he meant.

CharlesC

All good[emoji482]. Not for sure on the flow either. But, Just trying to make sure he gets it right. 1 of the 4 attempts on mine was due to them not running the heater. At least that what they told me.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
the tutorials always say "run your heater" so I figured that's what he meant.

All good[emoji482]. Not for sure on the flow either. But, Just trying to make sure he gets it right. 1 of the 4 attempts on mine was due to them not running the heater. At least that what they told me.

Yes, you want to “run the heat” to cool the heater core. The theory of heat transfer states that hot liquid will gravitate to a cooler mass. That action creates the necessary movement to ensure that no air bubbles are trapped in the core. Older Jeeps did have a heater control valve, but I think those are obsolete now.

CharlesC

Yes, you want to “run the heat” to cool the heater core. The theory of heat transfer states that hot liquid will gravitate to a cooler mass. That action creates the necessary movement to ensure that no air bubbles are trapped in the core. Older Jeeps did have a heater control valve, but I think those are obsolete now.

There ya have it.. Thanks for the clarification[emoji482]

Top Bottom