High end stabilizer or jump to hydro assist?

Braxtonsag

I’m at a point right now after having gotten my pro rock in the jeep, I need to have the tabs welded on for the stabilizer. I have been using the oem stabilizer up until now because I just haven’t seen a need to replace it being that it did its job still. With the synergy tabs, they are set up to run a 1/2” bolt and I am to anal to keep the factory one and it’s tiny bolt in that big hole. This brings me to a predicament.

I don’t want a pressurized stabilizer that is going to push my steering one direction. I also don’t want to buy an $80 tie rod clamp and cheap stabilizer when I could go with something like the fox ts that has a built in clamp. But also for the price of the fox stabilizer, I could nearly do diy hydro assist. In my opinion, I don’t think I need it, but I don’t want to regret not doing it when I had the chance later.

Can anyone offer any input to this?

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I’m at a point right now after having gotten my pro rock in the jeep, I need to have the tabs welded on for the stabilizer. I have been using the oem stabilizer up until now because I just haven’t seen a need to replace it being that it did its job still. With the synergy tabs, they are set up to run a 1/2” bolt and I am to anal to keep the factory one and it’s tiny bolt in that big hole. This brings me to a predicament.

I don’t want a pressurized stabilizer that is going to push my steering one direction. I also don’t want to buy an $80 tie rod clamp and cheap stabilizer when I could go with something like the fox ts that has a built in clamp. But also for the price of the fox stabilizer, I could nearly do diy hydro assist. In my opinion, I don’t think I need it, but I don’t want to regret not doing it when I had the chance later.

Can anyone offer any input to this?

I think some people run without a stabilizer as it's not really needed if everything is dailed in. If you're running 37s I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade to hydro assist, I understand it definitely helps turning when offroading.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

desertrunner

I think some people run without a stabilizer as it's not really needed if everything is dailed in. If you're running 37s I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade to hydro assist, I understand it definitely helps turning when offroading.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I'm running 37s with no SS, when I installed my PR44 the OEM one didn't fit so I ditched it. Been running that way for over a year now and it drives just fine including a trip to Moab. Personally I wouldn't go through the extra work and money to mount a SS if I ever get around to it I will put the $ to a hydro assist as I think it really would have helped in Moab but I have no intention at this point to spend any extra money to mount a SS on mine unless it's like a $20 quick thing and I'd attempt to out the OEM one back in.

The hydro assist introduces a lot more work and other systems to monitor so I just haven't done it because where I wheel right now I don't need it. If I move to a place where big rocks are Norm then I'll look into it but for now I'm good running no SS or hydro

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Braxtonsag

I'm running 37s with no SS, when I installed my PR44 the OEM one didn't fit so I ditched it. Been running that way for over a year now and it drives just fine including a trip to Moab. Personally I wouldn't go through the extra work and money to mount a SS if I ever get around to it I will put the $ to a hydro assist as I think it really would have helped in Moab but I have no intention at this point to spend any extra money to mount a SS on mine unless it's like a $20 quick thing and I'd attempt to out the OEM one back in.

The hydro assist introduces a lot more work and other systems to monitor so I just haven't done it because where I wheel right now I don't need it. If I move to a place where big rocks are Norm then I'll look into it but for now I'm good running no SS or hydro

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

The issue I run into is I don’t balance my wheels. So on county roads here they hit bumps just right and then start oscillating. Once they start oscillating they eventually turn into bump steer/death wobble if I go over 45mph. Having something there is just enough to deaden that initial oscillation and I never have to worry about it. I’d love to not run one at all, trust me

wjtstudios

Hooked
I've run both, and hands down the Hydro is the way to go. I ran a King 2.0 steering stabilizer and it is great with very little if any push. As far as keeping the steering locked while moving at speed (45-60) down dirt roads, the PSC hydro is unreal. It keeps everything straight, no bump steer, and I run 20-50 dirt miles most weeks heading to my job sites. It is one more item to maintain, but worth it in my opinion.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Don’t run hydro if you don’t need it. Just possible headaches down the road with leaks, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I agree. Too many people think they need it and it does bad things to stock axles. Hell I have had everything I need for hydro on my two door for three years but haven’t installed because I’ve seen what can happen. Maybe someday. Maybe not. I don’t drive it much.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
I agree. Too many people think they need it and it does bad things to stock axles. Hell I have had everything I need for hydro on my two door for three years but haven’t installed because I’ve seen what can happen. Maybe someday. Maybe not. I don’t drive it much.

Exactly! I had my hydro setup on the garage shelf for 2 years when I had stock axles and only installed it when I went to ProRock 60s and 40s.

wjtstudios

Hooked
But he’s installing that on a prorock, so he’s much better off than a stock front.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Braxtonsag

That’s kinda my thoughts on it too. I don’t think I need it, I haven’t struggled yet. Just don’t want to regret not getting it later. Might just have my wheels road force balanced and see if I can get away with not running a stabilizer/ram at all. That would actually be ideal. Way less money spent. Also less shit to maintain, break, and get hung up on. IMG_2967.jpg

Last edited:
With the synergy tabs, they are set up to run a 1/2” bolt and I am to anal to keep the factory one and it’s tiny bolt in that big hole. This brings me to a predicament.
So your issue is the oe bolt is too thin for the 1/2” ID mounting tab? Have you thought about a sleeve and a couple washers to take up the slack where it mounts and reuse the stock one for now?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Braxtonsag

So your issue is the oe bolt is too thin for the 1/2” ID mounting tab? Have you thought about a sleeve and a couple washers to take up the slack where it mounts and reuse the stock one for now?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

It crossed my mind for like 2 seconds but just still seems like a hack job fix. Tbh I could bolt it up and it would hold tight just fine, But ID know it’s all ghetto up there every second of the day. Might still just do that and not spend the extra $300 right now lol.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
I’m running a ProRock 44 with Fox.2.0 stabilizer, Synergy tierod and draglink. Couldn’t ask for it to drive any better on the highway. On the rocks in Moab it can be bitch to turn. I’m from Alabama everything is usually wet or dirt. Don’t need the Hydro at home but I will have it before my next Moab trip.

Top Bottom