There goes a motor....

Bush450

So I took the family up to some high lakes nearby. I wouldn't call it wheeling by any means. My wife was driving the rig and it started sputtering. I had her pull under a tree and lifted the hood. Quickly noticed #4 plug wire was arcing against the exhaust manifold. Shut it down grabbed some needle nose did a field repair. Went to drive home the miss was very intermittent. Made it about 10 miles all was fine. Started getting codes and a limp mode. The wire got hot enough and burned through. With not enough to fix it. Said ah shit will buff. Just slow lane her home on 5 cylinders. I mean how many times does a coil pack go out and people run em for weeks? Make it another 8 miles. Top of the grade it died. Tried restarting no success coasted off the interstate into a nice starthistle asphalt patch lol. So there I am 100+ degrees 2 year old, wife, dogs lol. Asd kept shutting it down. Traced wires swapped fuses kept blowing the asd 1&2 fuse. So my first time in my life I had to have my vehicle towed home. Usually can oakie fix it enough to get there. Tear into it today, and wouldn't ya know? I bent the #4 rod. The motor is locked I can spin it back and forth about a 1/4 rotation until the rod contacts the cylinder. Man what the heck am I to do? In a perfect world it would get a 6.2 and 6l80... but cash is a little tight right now. A used 3.8 is $2,800 god I have a hard time even thinking about dropping that kind of money on a motor I am not super happy with. It had 60k on it.. anyone have any words of wisdom? lol

wjtstudios

Hooked
No words of wisdom, just a heart felt sorry. That sucks. I think we all dream of dropping an 8 in if something like that happens but reality tends to be something different. From the sound of it, something you could tackle yourself?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

WJCO

Meme King
How torn down is it? Head and block ok? Could you just get a new rod/piston/bearing for it? At least at 60k, it should be in decent shape if you've maintained it. It would suck to spend that money just for another 3.8.

You can’t let forced induction detonate like that. It’s not like a n/a engine that can limp down a cylinder and only f up the coil and plug. If you only bent the rod I’d make sure the bearing didn’t spin and toss a new rod and piston in it like wj said

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Bush450

When I get some more time I am going to tear into it. When we bore scoped the cylinders they looked fine. No bent valves. Atleast from what we could see. Once I get the motor out, i am going to open it up. Cylinder 4 jug is pretty banged up at the base that's where the rod made contact. The odd thing is, is how much fuel the motor ate in 18 miles. I just did an oil change about 1k ago. When I drained the oil I pulled about 7 qts a lot of gas in the oil. And about an 1" of fuel on top of cylinder 4. It kinda makes since it was the old tune ripp used to make. I still haven't updated it due to lack of proggrammer. The motor has no bottom end then when the charger comes on it lights like a ton of bricks.

Top Bottom