Stranded in Durango, CO

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Just drove the WJ and the family out to Durango this weekend to do some camping in the mountains. The transmission started overheating and not shifting, but limped it to a shop. They say the transmission has metal chunks in it and it's toast. No one can get a new transmission here for this old girl until next week. I have to be back at work Monday. I'm at a complete loss as to what to do now... Should I flush the chunks out in O'Reilly's parking lot? Should I just limp her a thousand miles home at 40 mph? Should I spend thousands to tow her home? Should I sell her for next to nothing and drive a rental home? Am I just totally, completely and utterly fucked?!?

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Sorry to hear about that luck. I’d Rent a car and enjoy your vacation. Get it fixed, fly back out there once it’s fixed and drive her home.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Sorry to hear about that luck. I’d Rent a car and enjoy your vacation. Get it fixed, fly back out there once it’s fixed and drive her home.

Thanks, we rented a new Grand Cherokee for the time being, but I'm still stumped as to what to do now. They quoted me $3,100 just for the transmission without labor. Add labor and plane tickets (not to mention all the money I've already put into her) and it's significantly more than she's really worth.

RCVRY

Thanks, we rented a new Grand Cherokee for the time being, but I'm still stumped as to what to do now. They quoted me $3,100 just for the transmission without labor. Add labor and plane tickets (not to mention all the money I've already put into her) and it's significantly more than she's really worth.

Are there any Uhaul rental places? Rent a truck and a tow dolly. Tow it home and swap the trans.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Are there any Uhaul rental places? Rent a truck and a tow dolly. Tow it home and swap the trans.

That's actually what I'm looking into at the moment. The one Uhaul here said I'd have to take a huge 26ft box truck and flat bed which would run $1200. Right now that's still looking like the best option. Penske just said they don't have anything that can tow it.

WJCO

Meme King
Sorry to hear. I would tow it home. Get a used transmission online with low mileage and a warranty for about a grand.

RCVRY

That's actually what I'm looking into at the moment. The one Uhaul here said I'd have to take a huge 26ft box truck and flat bed which would run $1200. Right now that's still looking like the best option. Penske just said they don't have anything that can tow it.

You could look into having it shipped, maybe? I pulled one quote for $835 shipped to Joplin.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Yeah, looks like we're going to tow it with Uhaul equipment. It'll at least get it home where I have more resources.

Thanks everyone!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

You need to tell them you are towing a Honda Civic. Don’t tell them you are towing a Jeep. They told me I couldn’t tow mine so I said I had a CJ. Even with big truck they said no.

IMG_0251.jpg

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Either u haul it home or get online and do uship or one of the other sites shippers can bid on the job.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

duktrx

Ship it via train, roommate in college flew to Atlanta and bought a Camero. Took it to the Amtrak depot, loaded it and flew home. Less than $500

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Stotch

Caught the Bug
It's been a long trip so far. We've made it to Dodge City, KS. Hopefully home tomorrow.
IMG_20190724_171427.jpg
I've talked to a friend back home and should be able to get a salvaged transmission in her pretty soon.

Top Bottom