Another day, another squeal. I need help diagnosing this front axle noise.

This just started a week ago and I need help identifying what's making this noise (video link 1). It's coming from the front and I can reproduce it with the drive shaft removed, so it's between the pinion and the wheels. The only thing that's changed is a regear 900 miles ago. Sadly, I can't reproduce it with the front end on jack stands except for a small, quiet squeak where at seal where the flange meets the pinion (video link 2).

The unit bearings seem tight. The driver's u-joint has 1/16" of play. Otherwise I'm stumped so far.

Thanks for the help!

Here's the noise https://streamable.com/pnvyl
And here's the only thing I find with the front end on jack stands https://streamable.com/j2lmq

Yea I know it sounds simple, but it may be brake related. I had a similar issue yesterday and found that one of my brake pad clips had broken. I replaced it and the noise is gone

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Yea I know it sounds simple, but it may be brake related. I had a similar issue yesterday and found that one of my brake pad clips had broken. I replaced it and the noise is gone

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

I did take the pads out of both sides of calipers, removed and cleaned the clips, pads, pistons, and brackets. they looked okay, but it can't hurt to swap in new clips. That's the cheapest thing I could do.

Slimebones

Nope - ran out of caliper grease. I need to do that and re-apply anti seize to the clips
It is important to lube the caliper slide pins AND clips. Using the preferred silicone base grease is best as it does not rot the rubber boot/bushing at the slide pin.

It is important to lube the caliper slide pins AND clips. Using the preferred silicone base grease is best as it does not rot the rubber boot/bushing at the slide pin.

That's my typical approach and I just re-greased everything this evening. I'm still not convinced it's the brakes, though. We'll find out in the morning.

Bierpower

Hooked
I would recommend centering your focus out by the wheels. In the first video the noise seems to keep time with the axle shafts not the driveshaft. Could be a dry U joint, it seems to make the noise every half turn which would be a little odd for brakes but a u joint turns back and forth with each half turn. Good luck with the hunt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Noble Woodsman

An engine stethoscope goes a long way in these situations, especially since you can reproduce the behavior. They are pretty cheap at auto parts stores, and will help you determine the exact location of the noise. Since it only happens under weight, and as Bierpower noted, it times with the axle shafts, I wonder if it's a bearing or gear alignment flexing in the diff.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

dirtdonthurt

I had swapped rotors and ceramic pads and didn’t lube the clips. Lubed the pins. Brakes work great. A few months later squeaking like crazy. Took all apart cleaned. Lined new clips. All quiet.

An engine stethoscope goes a long way in these situations, especially since you can reproduce the behavior. They are pretty cheap at auto parts stores, and will help you determine the exact location of the noise. Since it only happens under weight, and as Bierpower noted, it times with the axle shafts, I wonder if it's a bearing or gear alignment flexing in the diff.

I'm actually in the market for wireless mechanic's ears. That'd make this whole issue easy to find.

I would recommend centering your focus out by the wheels. In the first video the noise seems to keep time with the axle shafts not the driveshaft. Could be a dry U joint, it seems to make the noise every half turn which would be a little odd for brakes but a u joint turns back and forth with each half turn. Good luck with the hunt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

I slowed the video down and the funny thing is that it's close to the wheel speed, but not exactly. I fully cleaned and lubed the entire brake system and swapped new clips and pin boots. So far, quiet this morning. We'll see if that holds up or not.

My guess was brakes because mine sounds like that. I already know that I need front brakes.

I did a full brake job on the front and the sound still exists. Pads are almost new, everything is greased, new clips, new boots on the pins, but the noise is still there after everything warms up. I'm stumped.

I threw the JK up on stands last night to investigate further since the noise is getting worse, or at least more consistent. I was able to reproduce it for the first time with the weight off of the driver's side. I also removed my front drive shaft a couple days ago to eliminate it as a possibility.

So, I'll try to do a Babe Ruth and call my shot. I'm 95% sure it's the pinion seal contacting the pinion/flange based on where the noise is coming from. It's definitely the differential, not the brakes or unit bearing.

It'll be up on the lift for diagnosis tomorrow, so we'll see what a couple professionals conclude.

I threw the JK up on stands last night to investigate further since the noise is getting worse, or at least more consistent. I was able to reproduce it for the first time with the weight off of the driver's side. I also removed my front drive shaft a couple days ago to eliminate it as a possibility.

So, I'll try to do a Babe Ruth and call my shot. I'm 95% sure it's the pinion seal contacting the pinion/flange based on where the noise is coming from. It's definitely the differential, not the brakes or unit bearing.

It'll be up on the lift for diagnosis tomorrow, so we'll see what a couple professionals conclude.

Turns out my assumption was correct. I replaced the front pinion seal and the issue is gone. Back to quiet... at least for a while.

Top Bottom