Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another day, another squeal. I need help diagnosing this front axle noise.

Fresh Catch

Another day, another squeal. I need help diagnosing this front axle noise.

This just started a week ago and I need help identifying what's making this noise (video link 1). It's coming from the front and I can reproduce it with the drive shaft removed, so it's between the pinion and the wheels. The only thing that's changed is a regear 900 miles ago. Sadly, I can't reproduce it with the front end on jack stands except for a small, quiet squeak where at seal where the flange meets the pinion (video link 2).

The unit bearings seem tight. The driver's u-joint has 1/16" of play. Otherwise I'm stumped so far.

Thanks for the help!

Here's the noise https://streamable.com/pnvyl
    And here's the only thing I find with the front end on jack stands https://streamable.com/j2lmq

Sounds like brakes from what I can tell. Also could be a bad wheel bearing. Hard to say.

Sent from my SM-P550 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yea I know it sounds simple, but it may be brake related. I had a similar issue yesterday and found that one of my brake pad clips had broken. I replaced it and the noise is gone

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Clyde View Post
    Yea I know it sounds simple, but it may be brake related. I had a similar issue yesterday and found that one of my brake pad clips had broken. I replaced it and the noise is gone

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    I did take the pads out of both sides of calipers, removed and cleaned the clips, pads, pistons, and brackets. they looked okay, but it can't hurt to swap in new clips. That's the cheapest thing I could do.

I’d say brakes also. Did you lube the slide pins?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear_JKU View Post
    I’d say brakes also. Did you lube the slide pins?

Nope - ran out of caliper grease. I need to do that and re-apply anti seize to the clips

Quote Originally Posted by tylerbrinks View Post
    Nope - ran out of caliper grease. I need to do that and re-apply anti seize to the clips
    It is important to lube the caliper slide pins AND clips. Using the preferred silicone base grease is best as it does not rot the rubber boot/bushing at the slide pin.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimebones View Post
    It is important to lube the caliper slide pins AND clips. Using the preferred silicone base grease is best as it does not rot the rubber boot/bushing at the slide pin.
    So the old “spit on it and go” doesn’t work in this case?
    Special lube required.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimebones View Post
    That's my typical approach and I just re-greased everything this evening. I'm still not convinced it's the brakes, though. We'll find out in the morning.

I would recommend centering your focus out by the wheels. In the first video the noise seems to keep time with the axle shafts not the driveshaft. Could be a dry U joint, it seems to make the noise every half turn which would be a little odd for brakes but a u joint turns back and forth with each half turn. Good luck with the hunt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast