Camping near the start and end of the Rubicon

Hey all. I’m heading to the Rubicon in September and I’m considering camping the entire trip. Obviously camping on the trail but, the plan is to drive out from Utah in one day and camp as close to the trail head as possible to save on a hotel room. Run the trail, then camp somewhere near the end and return home the final day.

Any recommendations on where to set up camp? It’s my first trip over so I’m still trying to figure out exactly where I need to go and how to get to the start so any suggestions or warnings are welcome.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Lots of people camp at Loon Lake. There are lots of spots there and it's nice. Assuming you camp at Rubicon Springs, you'll be off the trail with plenty of time left in the day and you really don't need to camp afterward. Just head home from there or camp elsewhere along the way.

Lots of people camp at Loon Lake. There are lots of spots there and it's nice. Assuming you camp at Rubicon Springs, you'll be off the trail with plenty of time left in the day and you really don't need to camp afterward. Just head home from there or camp elsewhere along the way.

Awesome. Yeah the plan is to push to Rubicon springs the first day and be off the trail the next and then just camp somewhere along the way. Besides, I have some exploring to do in Carson city if a certain someone is in town with some time to spare [emoji12]

PokerStogey

IMG_6489.jpg
Last year I drove up and found this nice little spot about a mile or so in and set up for the night. I know you can’t see much in the pic, but the trail approaches from the driver’s side towards the grille and hangs a right before heading up... and to the left of the rig, a gorgeous view to wake up a cook breakfast to. Seemed like there were spots to post up everywhere before getting too involved when you first arrive. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

View attachment 331687
Last year I drove up and found this nice little spot about a mile or so in and set up for the night. I know you can’t see much in the pic, but the trail approaches from the driver’s side towards the grille and hangs a right before heading up... and to the left of the rig, a gorgeous view to wake up a cook breakfast to. Seemed like there were spots to post up everywhere before getting too involved when you first arrive. Enjoy!

Awesome. Thank you!

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Hey all. I’m heading to the Rubicon in September and I’m considering camping the entire trip. Obviously camping on the trail but, the plan is to drive out from Utah in one day and camp as close to the trail head as possible to save on a hotel room. Run the trail, then camp somewhere near the end and return home the final day.

Any recommendations on where to set up camp? It’s my first trip over so I’m still trying to figure out exactly where I need to go and how to get to the start so any suggestions or warnings are welcome.

Airport flat campground is a good spot to stay and worth checking out. It’s about 10 miles from the Loon trailhead.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
^^^^ this. It’s unfortunate but very common especially after the last couple fire seasons we’ve had here. It’s not so much the temps but the lack of precipitation. It likely won’t rain much if it all between now and then.

Top Bottom