How long till your ARB compressor kicks on?

mayday_soc

I’m not trying to start a competition or anything. I’m just looking for what would be considered a reasonable amount of time before the arb compressor kicks on to recharge the air manifold after it’s initially turned on.

With no accessories on, how long should it take? Mine kicks in for a second or two at just under 2 minutes which seems way too low. I sprayed everything with soapy water and I’m not getting any bubbles. I also had a friend time his and it’s about the same as mine. He’s using Teflon tape. I tried Teflon first, then replaced the Teflon with a liquid thread sealant. Same results. I’m thinking it should hold air for at least 15 minutes, no?

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yes, I would think at least that. I have a twin running to a 1 gallon and a manifold and will stay charged for hours. I’m not sure how much of a difference the tank makes.

Also check the seems on the manifold where the black end caps secure to the silver center section. They do unscrew. You could try your sealant at those points too.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Ddays

Hooked
I’m not trying to start a competition or anything. I’m just looking for what would be considered a reasonable amount of time before the arb compressor kicks on to recharge the air manifold after it’s initially turned on.

With no accessories on, how long should it take? Mine kicks in for a second or two at just under 2 minutes which seems way too low. I sprayed everything with soapy water and I’m not getting any bubbles. I also had a friend time his and it’s about the same as mine. He’s using Teflon tape. I tried Teflon first, then replaced the Teflon with a liquid thread sealant. Same results. I’m thinking it should hold air for at least 15 minutes, no?

Once it's initially turned on and fills the little manifold the compressor should turn off and not start again until air is called for - like turning the lockers on or an air chuck is opened. If it turns on any other time you've got a leak somewhere.

WJCO

Meme King
Not sure what you're asking exactly.

I made a video of mine years ago that shows the sound and time that the compressor is on until the manifold and lines are pressurized. Once it's pressurized, it should shut off.

I can air up four 35 inch tires from 15 psi to 30 psi in about 8 minutes total (2ish minutes per tire) with an ARB twin compressor. My wife's Jeeps with the ARB single takes a little less but it's not that much less.

duktrx

With just my ARB twin plumbed to the manifold for Airlockers and a quick disconnect for air accessories, mine holds air for at least a 10 mile commute.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using WAYALIFE mobile app

mayday_soc

Also check the seems on the manifold where the black end caps secure to the silver center section. They do unscrew. You could try your sealant at those points too.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I have NOT checked the black end caps. Damn, I def have a leak from what you guys are saying.

mayday_soc

Not sure what you're asking exactly.

I made a video of mine years ago that shows the sound and time that the compressor is on until the manifold and lines are pressurized. Once it's pressurized, it should shut off.

That’s how my compressor works ...but every 1:50 it kicks back on for a second. Even if I just fill the manifold and and don’t use any accessories like lockers, swaybar, etc. I’ve gotta have a leak somewhere.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I have NOT checked the black end caps. Damn, I def have a leak from what you guys are saying.

From what you described above, that would be where I would start. The only other possibility is the compressor itself has a bad seal at the piston and it's back feeding out. If that's the case, ARB is great with working thru quality issues on their end.

WJCO

Meme King
That’s how my compressor works ...but every 1:50 it kicks back on for a second. Even if I just fill the manifold and and don’t use any accessories like lockers, swaybar, etc. I’ve gotta have a leak somewhere.

I see what you're saying. I agree there's a leak somewhere. Every now and then on the trail, mine will do that (with lockers off). I'll just be driving and I'll hear it kick on for a second but that's like once every 30 minutes and it's not every time.

boardsurfer

Without using the lockers or anything, my pressure switch kicks on at close to 10 minutes. I didnt do anything special when I installed, just made sure to use the teflon tape on all the fittings, snugged them up tight and got lucky. Did the same with my ARB single I had before and it kicked on much more frequently.

edit: since I'm so busy today, I went out to the garage to time it.. just over 17 minutes before it came back on!

Last edited:

mayday_soc

Without using the lockers or anything, my pressure switch kicks on at close to 10 minutes. I didnt do anything special when I installed, just made sure to use the teflon tape on all the fittings, snugged them up tight and got lucky. Did the same with my ARB single I had before and it kicked on much more frequently.

edit: since I'm so busy today, I went out to the garage to time it.. just over 17 minutes before it came back on!

Whoa! Thanks for timing it. I’m going to have to investigate mine further. I’m going to try dipping a paint brush in the soapy water and hitting all the seams.

Top Bottom