Caruthers Lake / Mountain Ben Lake MT

desertrunner

Wife and I wanted to do a long day trip this weekend and finally picked a place tonight. We will be headed up to Caruthers lake and hopefully all the way up to mountain Ben lake tomorrow out near Deer Lodge, MT.

Never been out to that area before but the guide book I have looks pretty straight forward and I was able to follow the trail on Google maps and the Avenza Maps pretty easy.

Should be a fun trip and hopefully we catch some fish up there, I'll post up some pics when I get back.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jsouder53

Hooked
Let me know how it goes! Looked it up and seems to be a beautiful area [emoji106] also, what guide book do you use?

desertrunner

Let me know how it goes! Looked it up and seems to be a beautiful area [emoji106] also, what guide book do you use?
Man I thought about hitting you up yesterday before we made the decision to go up that way but it was so last minute for us I wasn't exactly sure what our day was gonna look like.

So I have book 1 and 2 of 4x4 routes of Western Montana, made by a couple named Willy and Gene. (They just made a 3rd book as well) As luck would have it while I was getting gas in deer lodge 3 members of the club that Willy is a part of were also there getting gas and heading out to the same trail and let me tag along with them.

The trail is awesome, little bit tight in the trees and some bigger rocks to actually stretch out the rig but the least built rig in the group was a 4dr sport with open diffs on 33s and she was able to make up to Caurthers just fine. The other 2 guys ended up going all the way to mountain Ben lake as well because rumor has it they are shutting that trail down to less than 50" width here soon to keep jeeps out of there so they ran it today before they officially close it off to vehicles and they were saying it's pretty gnarly and they used a bit of lockers to make it all the way up.
My wife and dog were ready to get out so we hung out and fished for a while at Caurthers and didn't go with them to mountain ben.

I'll post some pictures here soon and using Avenza maps on my phone it was easy to follow to get up there.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Man I thought about hitting you up yesterday before we made the decision to go up that way but it was so last minute for us I wasn't exactly sure what our day was gonna look like.

So I have book 1 and 2 of 4x4 routes of Western Montana, made by a couple named Willy and Gene. (They just made a 3rd book as well) As luck would have it while I was getting gas in deer lodge 3 members of the club that Willy is a part of were also there getting gas and heading out to the same trail and let me tag along with them.

The trail is awesome, little bit tight in the trees and some bigger rocks to actually stretch out the rig but the least built rig in the group was a 4dr sport with open diffs on 33s and she was able to make up to Caurthers just fine. The other 2 guys ended up going all the way to mountain Ben lake as well because rumor has it they are shutting that trail down to less than 50" width here soon to keep jeeps out of there so they ran it today before they officially close it off to vehicles and they were saying it's pretty gnarly and they used a bit of lockers to make it all the way up.
My wife and dog were ready to get out so we hung out and fished for a while at Caurthers and didn't go with them to mountain ben.

I'll post some pictures here soon and using Avenza maps on my phone it was easy to follow to get up there.

Not a problem, it was a busy week of work so I was not really in any rush to do anything today lol

I will have to look into those guide books! That’s a bummer that they are closing off part of the trail... we will definitely have to make the drive there one of these days! Can’t wait to see some pictures [emoji106]

Top Bottom