Thread: Project Blue Jeep

Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar

Project Blue Jeep

Now that Iíve had this a couple months it might as well get its own thread.

It was named Blue Jeep, BJ for short. It wasnít me but damnit it caught on quick and I have the sense of humor of a preteen so what the hell.

2001 TJ
    4.0l 5spd
    30/44 3.73
    Under 150k

Picked this up to replace my last one that started to rust beyond repair. That being said itís not rust free and requires some surgery but is much much better.

IMG_3201.JPG
    IMG_3202.JPG
    IMG_3220.jpg

Started swapping parts almost immediately. Bumpers, headlights, pulled all the old electrical out of the old one. Had to do something about the ugly ass faded fenders, have yet to decide what kind of fenders/flares it will end up with as the front driver is already rusted through.

IMG_3242.jpg
    IMG_3257.jpg
    IMG_3265.jpg
    IMG_3277.jpg
    IMG_3485.jpg

Swapped the lift and the 35s over
    IMG_3386.jpg
    IMG_3387.jpg

Did some maintenance, this one has ac! And it mostly works! Small leak somewhere have to find but itís been nice out so Itís been naked for months anyways.
    58475981053__41851928-CDC5-469B-93FC-0E464DEBD253.jpg

Used it to run the boat up to gas station, got the boat running after years (finally)
    IMG_3663.jpg

This old guy has a couple more things to swap and ready to sell off as a trail toy
    IMG_3682.jpg

Did a nice little shakedown drive through the woods
    IMG_3975.jpg
    IMG_3976.jpg
    IMG_3980.jpg

Been working on getting everything mechanical looked over and swapped. Ran seafoam and marvel mystery oil through the oil system to quiet down the old lifters and it has made it better but theyíre still loud. One of these things Iíll just deal with until it needs a rebuild as the lifters on a 4.0 arenít removable without taking the head off and if Iím going that far into it im rebuilding the head and putting in new pistons and rings.

Swapped the atf4 fluid in the transfer case today, if you didnít already know some aluminum foil makes a great ďcatch panĒ if you make a tray out of it and set it in the skid plate and then poke a hole in it where it lines up with three hole in the skid plate, makes a much easier clean up. And yeah, thatís the color of the fluid that came out, darker than burnt oil and smelt horrible, it should be red.
    IMG_3996.jpg

While I was there figured Iíd swap the speedo gear as well to find out that it already had the same one.
    58717149842__11EF1572-83A3-4E84-99AE-3E9A745E7791.jpg

Had a little extra time today so I cleaned up and refinished the rear bumper lights so I can wire them up tomorrow and install them.
    IMG_3999.jpg

Sanded the oxidation down primed and bedlined, resealed the gaskets so water doesnít leak in.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Project Blue Jeep

On to the surgery, after wire wheeling for hours I came up with a game plan that will be one patch piece for the left rear control arm mounts, both full tub mount channels, the driver floor pan has a small probably 8x8 section if not the whole pan weíll see which when I start cutting that. A small patch on the passenger rear control arms, and possibly the skid plate mounts as they look ugly and if Iím doing it now I might as well right? Then the entire frame and under tub will be painted with a spray on epoxy primer that Iíve used on other vehicles and has been bullet proof through winter.

Ignore the temporary booger patch, didnít have a helmet so did it blind by feel to just get by for a couple weeks
    58371221336__A02F06C8-9F9D-479D-9DE7-415350E41ACA.jpg
    58380089404__5040B9ED-FAE4-42CA-A223-F1522AB580A1.jpg
    58380109276__094A7755-C0B1-4651-AD8D-C82DB219F9EE.jpg

Ran the upper door frames through works blaster, make a couple welds and repaint them good as new
    IMG_3300.jpg

Once the metal is all taken care of the list of little things

-Replace broken center console sub speaker
    -Clutch and throwout bearing (bearing is shot and driving me crazy, might as well do clutch if dropping the trans
    -minor exhaust work
    -replace coil pack, cylinder three is intermittent in the rain
    - add more forward lighting
    - fenders of some kind
    - build bumper mount tire carrier
    - install heated seats
    - decide on a location for 6-switch panel for aftermarket toys, the old location looked ghetto in the last Jeep
    - hardtop controls
    -Wire in homelink garage door opener
    -Mount cb, find a better location for antenna that doesnít grab so much tree
    -sliders/steps
    - different lift kit that doesnít suck ass like this rough country I swapped over onto it
    - bump stops
    - slip yoke eliminator for the new lift
    - rock lights
    - on board air
    - Aussie lunchbox for the Dana 44
    - wire interior winch controller plug
    - find full doors
    - modify the gas tank to take the full 21 gallons instead of 15, asshole design.
    -valve cover gasket
    - swap rear drums to discs

Overall Iím pretty happy with it, it was the right price and although itís going to take more welding and hands on work than I thought I learned enough from the last one that I can make better choices on the build.

Last edited by Snboarder113; 08-11-2019 at 09:12 AM.

Nice project! That will be fun to tinker on for the next few years. Your new mounts look really nice!

Thatís great! Nice work.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Nice work so far.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Did someone say BJ?

Cool project!
    2013 JKU Sport "Spider" with some EVO goodies and a chop here and there

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

Overall "build thread" http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2...ker-quot-build

Quote Originally Posted by USMC Wrangler View Post
    Did someone say BJ?

Cool project!
    I figured with that name I wonít be able to get mad at it as much 🤣

Resprayed bumper
    IMG_4010.jpg

Installed lights
    IMG_4015.jpg

Ditched the third brake light
    IMG_4011.jpg

Tried to fit the 33 on the spare carrier, I know a 35 wonít fit when I get my spare but Iím a visual guy and will likely build my own carrier so seeing it helps.
    IMG_4009.jpg

Then went back to the good life
    IMG_4007.jpg

Looks great! That would be so fun to restore.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app