Project Blue Jeep

Now that I’ve had this a couple months it might as well get its own thread.

It was named Blue Jeep, BJ for short. It wasn’t me but damnit it caught on quick and I have the sense of humor of a preteen so what the hell.

2001 TJ
4.0l 5spd
30/44 3.73
Under 150k

Picked this up to replace my last one that started to rust beyond repair. That being said it’s not rust free and requires some surgery but is much much better.

IMG_3201.JPG
IMG_3202.JPG
IMG_3220.jpg

Started swapping parts almost immediately. Bumpers, headlights, pulled all the old electrical out of the old one. Had to do something about the ugly ass faded fenders, have yet to decide what kind of fenders/flares it will end up with as the front driver is already rusted through.

IMG_3242.jpg
IMG_3257.jpg
IMG_3265.jpg
IMG_3277.jpg
IMG_3485.jpg

Swapped the lift and the 35s over
IMG_3386.jpg
IMG_3387.jpg

Did some maintenance, this one has ac! And it mostly works! Small leak somewhere have to find but it’s been nice out so It’s been naked for months anyways.
58475981053__41851928-CDC5-469B-93FC-0E464DEBD253.jpg

Used it to run the boat up to gas station, got the boat running after years (finally)
IMG_3663.jpg

This old guy has a couple more things to swap and ready to sell off as a trail toy
IMG_3682.jpg

Did a nice little shakedown drive through the woods
IMG_3975.jpg
IMG_3976.jpg
IMG_3980.jpg

Been working on getting everything mechanical looked over and swapped. Ran seafoam and marvel mystery oil through the oil system to quiet down the old lifters and it has made it better but they’re still loud. One of these things I’ll just deal with until it needs a rebuild as the lifters on a 4.0 aren’t removable without taking the head off and if I’m going that far into it im rebuilding the head and putting in new pistons and rings.

Swapped the atf4 fluid in the transfer case today, if you didn’t already know some aluminum foil makes a great “catch pan” if you make a tray out of it and set it in the skid plate and then poke a hole in it where it lines up with three hole in the skid plate, makes a much easier clean up. And yeah, that’s the color of the fluid that came out, darker than burnt oil and smelt horrible, it should be red.
IMG_3996.jpg

While I was there figured I’d swap the speedo gear as well to find out that it already had the same one.
58717149842__11EF1572-83A3-4E84-99AE-3E9A745E7791.jpg

Had a little extra time today so I cleaned up and refinished the rear bumper lights so I can wire them up tomorrow and install them.
IMG_3999.jpg

Sanded the oxidation down primed and bedlined, resealed the gaskets so water doesn’t leak in.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

On to the surgery, after wire wheeling for hours I came up with a game plan that will be one patch piece for the left rear control arm mounts, both full tub mount channels, the driver floor pan has a small probably 8x8 section if not the whole pan we’ll see which when I start cutting that. A small patch on the passenger rear control arms, and possibly the skid plate mounts as they look ugly and if I’m doing it now I might as well right? Then the entire frame and under tub will be painted with a spray on epoxy primer that I’ve used on other vehicles and has been bullet proof through winter.

Ignore the temporary booger patch, didn’t have a helmet so did it blind by feel to just get by for a couple weeks
58371221336__A02F06C8-9F9D-479D-9DE7-415350E41ACA.jpg
58380089404__5040B9ED-FAE4-42CA-A223-F1522AB580A1.jpg
58380109276__094A7755-C0B1-4651-AD8D-C82DB219F9EE.jpg

Ran the upper door frames through works blaster, make a couple welds and repaint them good as new
IMG_3300.jpg

Once the metal is all taken care of the list of little things

X - new batt
X -Replace broken center console sub speaker
X-Clutch and throwout bearing (bearing is shot and driving me crazy, might as well do clutch if dropping the trans
X-minor exhaust work
X-replace coil pack, cylinder three is intermittent in the rain
X- add more forward lighting
- fenders of some kind
- build bumper mount tire carrier
X- install heated seats
X- decide on a location for 6-switch panel for aftermarket toys, the old location looked ghetto in the last Jeep
- hardtop controls
X-Wire in homelink garage door opener
X-Mount cb, find a better location for antenna that doesn’t grab so much tree
-sliders/steps
- different lift kit that doesn’t suck ass like this rough country I swapped over onto it
- bump stops
- slip yoke eliminator for the new lift
- rock lights
- on board air
- Aussie lunchbox for the Dana 44
X- wire interior winch controller plug
- find full doors
- modify the gas tank to take the full 21 gallons instead of 15, asshole design.
-valve cover gasket
X- swap rear drums to discs
-upgrade sound bar speakers to polk db components add mini- 4 channel amp

Overall I’m pretty happy with it, it was the right price and although it’s going to take more welding and hands on work than I thought I learned enough from the last one that I can make better choices on the build.

Last edited:

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Nice project! That will be fun to tinker on for the next few years. Your new mounts look really nice!

Did someone say BJ? [emoji23]

Cool project!

I figured with that name I won’t be able to get mad at it as much 🤣

Resprayed bumper
IMG_4010.jpg

Installed lights
IMG_4015.jpg

Ditched the third brake light
IMG_4011.jpg

Tried to fit the 33 on the spare carrier, I know a 35 won’t fit when I get my spare but I’m a visual guy and will likely build my own carrier so seeing it helps.
IMG_4009.jpg

Then went back to the good life
IMG_4007.jpg

Figure if I keep tackling a couple small things every week it will eventually get done

Ran the wiring for the auxiliary power and mounted the fuse panel. Drilled a hole through the firewall above the computer, painted it so it doesn’t rust, put a grommet in and rtv sealed it up.

IMG_4177.jpg
IMG_4178.jpg
IMG_4169.jpg

In cab winch controller plug

IMG_4172.jpg
IMG_4173.jpg
IMG_4175.jpg

Cb antenna mounted and installed, will need revision when I put my actual spare on. And yes I may have deflated the tire so It can fit better for now 🤣

IMG_4181.jpg
IMG_4180.jpg

Does anyone have any good ideas for switch mount panels? A lot has changed since the last time I did this, was hoping for a nice simplistic clean install. Found this on google but apparently isn’t made anymore was by over the river and through the woods (otrattw.com) who I already have all my carling rocker switches from and would love to drop them into this panel.
IMG_4164.jpg

Also considering doing a while new switch system, anyone have experience with these style?
IMG_4165.jpg

wjtstudios

Hooked
That’s a good idea on wiring the winch controller inside the Jeep instead of pulling the cord over the side mirror and thru the window. Did you leave the plug on the winch too if you want to operate it from there too?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Brute

Hooked
That’s a good idea on wiring the winch controller inside the Jeep instead of pulling the cord over the side mirror and thru the window. Did you leave the plug on the winch too if you want to operate it from there too?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I like that idea too...

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Yes. Kind of.
I extended the wiring on the control box so the box is protected under the hood in the engine bay. Did this for a couple reasons, first being that the plastic is known to UV fade and get brittle and crack. Second is it’s mounted much higher if I ever end up submerging it in mud and need to access it.

IMG_4199.jpg

I also cut down and shortened an extra remote that I keep in glove box all the time
IMG_4200.jpg

And then I keep the full length 12’ one in my recovery kit that I only bring with me when I plan on off-roading. (Tj’s don’t have much cargo space)
IMG_4201.jpg

I don’t think I’ve ever used the connection under the hood after installing the inside one though.

Things seem to be going well on the “fix one thing a day” plan.

Next up, blown ass shitty console sub

58870130755__071ADC26-3D11-4C5E-B8C7-1269D3D3A302.jpg

Buddy gave me this little guy, by some miracle the tiny Chrysler amp can actually push it (enough for better sound, not winning any audio competitions) so after testing it out, eff it why not.
IMG_4268.jpg

Little bit of cutting on the outside
58870425664__F4BC41CF-9589-476F-9A70-3B461C8E1C8D.jpg

Cutting on the inside
IMG_4275.jpg

Test fitting
58870569010__A83867CD-DDD6-4CBC-93DA-9F5D53CF0A2F.jpg
IMG_4274.jpg

Install
IMG_4281.jpg
IMG_4282.jpg

Even made a new magnetic parts tray 🤣
58870659943__2C1A8468-3104-4FCC-B70A-CBD466D6EB7F.jpg
58870672056__0AD77CC1-9BAC-4FCE-A52A-A72185CDB69E.jpg

If anyone needs an easy way to add power accessory connections to their terminals, don’t mount hem to the tightening bolt, that seems to always cause issues.

Instead, drill a hole through the flat section, tap some threads in it, screw in a bolt from underneath. Takes 5 minutes and costs next to nothing.
IMG_4266.jpg

Top Bottom