Check engine light

ZachP

New to this site and new to Jeeps in general as I’ve recently purchased my first one. Earlier today my 08’ rubicon’s check engine light came on when my wife started it up. My wife began to release the clutch to take off and go and ended up fully releasing the clutch while getting no response whatsoever from the Jeep itself. It just idled as if it were in neutral, there was also zero throttle response when this happened as well. She turned it off, let it sit for a few minutes and tried again. It started up and ran perfectly with no issues. Any idea as to what may have caused this issue to happen?

USMC Wrangler

New to this site and new to Jeeps in general as I’ve recently purchased my first one. Earlier today my 08’ rubicon’s check engine light came on when my wife started it up. My wife began to release the clutch to take off and go and ended up fully releasing the clutch while getting no response whatsoever from the Jeep itself. It just idled as if it were in neutral, there was also zero throttle response when this happened as well. She turned it off, let it sit for a few minutes and tried again. It started up and ran perfectly with no issues. Any idea as to what may have caused this issue to happen?

Did the light disappear after restarting? Loose battery cables do some wild psychotic gremlin shit to our Jeeps. Maybe check those first.

So she put it in gear whilst idleing and released the clutch and it continued to idle and not move, and the gas pedal did nothing?

Hate to be that guy, but you sure it was actually ON and running?
All of the drive train is mechanical, so you're saying she mechanically put it into gear, and hydraulically released the clutch. There is no computer interference in that part, and it did nothing. Then she gave it gas and it did nothing (that is fly by wire, computer).

These things just don't make sense. It would make sense if it stalled out while starting and then the dash had lights on.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I have to agree with Snboarder in thinking that it’s not possible as described. Maybe it wasn’t in gear? Anyway, since the CEL came on, a trouble code is stored. What is the code?

When I had my 6 speed this happened to me once except the check engine light didn't come on. I actually missed reverse while trying to back out of my garage and sat there for a minute trying to figure out why it wasn't moving when I hit the gas and why it wasn't stalling when the clutch was released. Then I realized it had popped out of reverse. I bet this is what happened to your wife as others have said.

Top Bottom