Thread: Life Hack - Winch Controller Cover

Life Hack - Winch Controller Cover

I purchased a Smittybilt X2O winch for my Jeep, and recently customized and affixed the controller to my no-winch delete plate. A couple of reasons for this, but mainly it was interfering with and rubbed the paint off my grill...

Even though this is supposed to be an IP rated winch, I've read enough complaints about the elements getting into and screwing up the smitty controllers I decided to make a cover for it. Just to keep water/dust/mud off the switch and controller plug. I was initially going to sew a cover out of neoprene, but decided to think through other options (I cannot sew...). Ultimately a youth sized swimming cap came to mind. Seems to fit well and should keep the winch controller dry/mud free.

Anyways, if you're winch isn't IP rated. Or you're just anal retentive and don't want your controller facing all the elements, this solution should work. Doesn't look tacky. Pic related if anyone is interested. Cheers WAL.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Simple and effective, what's not to like.

Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    How do you get to the free spool handle

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Quote Originally Posted by Snboarder113 View Post
    How do you get to the free spool handle

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    I used wing nuts to replace the nuts on the back side of the no winch plate for easy removal (I cut the no-winch plate so the drivers side can come off). But honestly there is enough clearance I can get my hands in there to switch it without having to remove the plate.