2015 JKU with 3” EVO enforcer lift starting to loss that smooth ride. Need advise

thechrisjones

I have a 2015 JKU HR. Put the 3 inch EVO lift kit with king shocks when it was brand new . I’ve put about 55k miles on it with the lift. Side Note: I also have a winch in the front and a full sized 37 on the back. Over the last 6 months I’ve noticed it been driveling like a brick truck. I can feel every small bump in the road as if it was a sink whole. I was thinking about buying a new pair of coil springs to bring that nice smooth ride back. Thoughts anyone?

Also I have noticed when pulling into drive ways fast or if people are in the back and I run over a dip you can hear my back tires rub.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
I have a 2015 JKU HR. Put the 3 inch EVO lift kit with king shocks when it was brand new . I’ve put about 55k miles on it with the lift. Side Note: I also have a winch in the front and a full sized 37 on the back. Over the last 6 months I’ve noticed it been driveling like a brick truck. I can feel every small bump in the road as if it was a sink whole. I was thinking about buying a new pair of coil springs to bring that nice smooth ride back. Thoughts anyone?

Also I have noticed when pulling into drive ways fast or if people are in the back and I run over a dip you can hear my back tires rub.

If you've put 55k miles on those King shocks it's long overdue for them to be rebuilt! Have you ever checked the pressure in them?

thechrisjones

Damn, Nah I've never had them checked. So how does having them rebuilt work? How many days should I expect to be without my jeep? What type of shop doest this kind of work and i guess most importantly what kind of expense am I looking at on average? I have the 2.0 kings not the ones with the reservoir. is it worth getting shocks rebuilt vs buying new ones? Should I go a head and buy new evo 3" plush coils too?

Ddays

Hooked
Damn, Nah I've never had them checked. So how does having them rebuilt work? How many days should I expect to be without my jeep? What type of shop doest this kind of work and i guess most importantly what kind of expense am I looking at on average? I have the 2.0 kings not the ones with the reservoir. is it worth getting shocks rebuilt vs buying new ones? Should I go a head and buy new evo 3" plush coils too?

That's gonna be tough. Unless you can do it yourself, finding a good shop to do that could be a challenge. Bubba down at Exodus does it and Off road Evolution does as well but you're honestly looking at a couple weeks for either before you're back up & running. Maybe call around to some local shops & see if they can do it. Its not rocket science. Charging them back up with nitrogen is probably the hardest part.

Might be a good opportunity for some garage & beer time. Google King shock rebuilding. There are a ton of how-to's out there with step-by-step instructions. Your springs should be fine by the way.

Edit: one of the nice features of the Kings is the fact that they can be rebuilt instead of replacing them. You bought your last set of shocks when you brought them.

Last edited:

fiend

Caught the Bug
Edit: one of the nice features of the Kings is the fact that they can be rebuilt instead of replacing them. You bought your last set of shocks when you brought them.

Except for that set of Ranchos you buy to run during the couple of weeks every year that your Kings are in for service. [emoji23]🤣

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
Except for that set of Ranchos you buy to run during the couple of weeks every year that your Kings are in for service. [emoji23]🤣

Rancho normally runs a “SHOCKTOBER” sale in the fall and it make since buying a set if the jeep is your daily. Just a thought.

Ddays

Hooked

Funny, I was gonna suggest a cheapo set to run for a couple weeks if he decided to send them away. Good call - better than being Jeepless! :shock:

thechrisjones

Thanks guys, I found a guy about 45 minutes away that will test the nitrogen. He said if needed he can order the parts from king shocks and do it for $100 each as long as there isn’t anything else wrong. Mean while 4 wheel parts wants $900 and never offered to test them first. Thanks guys!

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Just out of curiosity, I called the only shop in town how much they charge to rebuild Kings since they’re in my build plans down the road.... they quickly replied with “what’s wrong with them and why would they need to be rebuilt?” 🤦*♂️looks like when I get them I’ll be doing it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

PokerStogey

Just out of curiosity, I called the only shop in town how much they charge to rebuild Kings since they’re in my build plans down the road.... they quickly replied with “what’s wrong with them and why would they need to be rebuilt?” 🤦*♂️looks like when I get them I’ll be doing it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Uh... wow. Not a good sign. Haha

jesse3638

Hooked
Thanks guys, I found a guy about 45 minutes away that will test the nitrogen. He said if needed he can order the parts from king shocks and do it for $100 each as long as there isn’t anything else wrong. Mean while 4 wheel parts wants $900 and never offered to test them first. Thanks guys!

That's a good price. I believe ORE charged me $125 for the 2.5 Resi's. Added $90 for a new shaft and $70 for front relocation brackets and it was about $700. I'd still choose to have them rebuilt every 25k miles than run anything else. They are really solid. I'm hanging onto my bilsteins so I can swap them in while I wait in the future.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
Top Bottom