VIDEO : Long Overdue Maintenance for MOBY + MORE = PREP for the JKX - Part 1

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being that Cindy and I will be attending the final Nitto JK-Experience presented by KMC Wheels, we decided it might be a good idea to take Moby down to Off Road Evolution and to have his coilovers and bypass shocks serviced. If time permitted, we were also hoping to have a little custom work done as well and specifically, to stretch his rear end by about 2". According to Mel, this would allow us to get rid of our rear bump stop extensions as that would provide us with a LOT more up travel - about 4" more! In other words, we would be able to hit much big bumps and at significantly higher speeds.

Now, what we weren't expecting from our visit was to find just how much wear and tear we've put on our Jeep JK Wrangler over the last 12 years and worse, how much we've been neglecting or at least, in terms of maintenance. In this short video, you'll get to see and learn a bit about coilovers, bypass shocks and what goes into getting them serviced and you'll even get to see some of the work we had done on Moby to get him ready for the JKX. We hope you enjoy.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

WJCO

Meme King
Information overload on the shocks. If I ever own a set, I'll just send them to ore to rebuild. Crazy to see how dirty that fluid got just from breakdown and wear.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Mel’s explanation of how the shocks work was very informative.

Too bad you can’t show the secret sauce for the stretch. Maybe later?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Information overload on the shocks. If I ever own a set, I'll just send them to ore to rebuild. Crazy to see how dirty that fluid got just from breakdown and wear.

Honestly, I have the means and the know how but I still prefer to have ORE do it. Harley knows her stuff and really cares about her work. For the cost, it's totally worth it especially if you don't have all the proprietary tools and charging system to do it right. Glad we could share this with people like you being that MOST people seem to think their coilovers don't need to be serviced unless they're leaking - LOL

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Mel’s explanation of how the shocks work was very informative.

Too bad you can’t show the secret sauce for the stretch. Maybe later?

LOL - yeah, sucked that Mel put an embargo on the secret sauce but yes, we hope to show off something soon.

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
Love the info! Thanks for putting it together for us all. I’m sure there will be some coilovers getting serviced soon after the good content here!

Hey Eddie!

Hey Eddie,

Great video, question for you. With the larger tires and all the weight of on the Jeep, what did you do to get the extra power beside regearing the Moby?

Ron

wjtstudios

Hooked
That was a masters class in shock valving. Absolutely amazing the knowledge that is in that shop. I know where my kings are going to get rebuilt! Thanks for taking us along.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

VIDEO : Long Overdue Maintenance for MOBY + MORE = PREP for the JKX Part 1

Super cool to see how it all works. Harley is a badass. Mel is like the Einstein of the off road world. I’m sure Moby enjoyed his Spa treatment.

USMC Wrangler

VIDEO : Long Overdue Maintenance for MOBY + MORE = PREP for the JKX Part 1

Hey Eddie,

Great video, question for you. With the larger tires and all the weight of on the Jeep, what did you do to get the extra power beside regearing the Moby?

Ron

That would be an LS swap just a little while ago. [emoji6]

I have so many other things to do to mine before getting coilovers, but I’ve learned a ton here about them. Especially in this video. It’s cool to see Harley working at the family business and clearly seems to know exactly what she’s doing. [emoji1303]

2013 JKU Sport S, named Spider

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
That was uber imformative and explains why the KING 2.5's I was running went bleh and felt like i was on tree stumps in less than a year.

When they were new they begged to go faster on teh trails and I accommodated :thumb:

Cost was the biggest factor in my decision to sell them. At the time, no shops around here to rebuild them and shipping them for maintenance was :shock::shock:

After watching this, I believe I could handle the maintenance job if i get another set. :thumb:

Moby sounds awesome!!

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Definitely looked like a 50+ exam. Even had the rear end checked. Lol. Did Moby have to turn his wheel and cough? 🤣

Last edited:

pop2tu

Great information there. Mel did a awesome job explaining the King shock rebuild process and how they work.

fiend

Caught the Bug
That was uber imformative and explains why the KING 2.5's I was running went bleh and felt like i was on tree stumps in less than a year.

When they were new they begged to go faster on teh trails and I accommodated :thumb:

Cost was the biggest factor in my decision to sell them. At the time, no shops around here to rebuild them and shipping them for maintenance was :shock::shock:

After watching this, I believe I could handle the maintenance job if i get another set. :thumb:

Moby sounds awesome!!

Right? I heard “yearly rebuild” and thought no thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

benatc1

Hooked
Very informative video, excited to see more of the custom work, even if it's in person. Also, good for Moby for getting some new life infused into him!

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom