Quart/Gallon Transfer Pump Question

jesse3638

Hooked
I bought one of the plastic transfer pumps when I changed my t-case fluid. I need to do the transmission (manual) and was wondering if I should use the same one or just go buy a new one for the different fluid to prevent cross contamination? I pumped out all the ATF but there is still what could not be removed in it. I didn't try really cleaning it out with soapy water or and kind of solvent. Opinions are much appreciated.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I can't imagine a little bit of ATF would heard a manual transmission gearbox. What fluid does the manual trans use?

Ddays

Hooked
Here it is and of course it takes just under 2 quarts. View attachment 332763

LOL, would it be asking too much for the manufacturers to make either their fluid containers match the capacity of their goddam parts or that the parts hold an even amount of the goddam fluid?
So annoying having partial containers of automotive fluids on the shelf.

This rant should have been in the Pete Peeves thread!

jesse3638

Hooked
LOL, would it be asking too much for the manufacturers to make either their fluid containers match the capacity of their goddam parts or that the parts hold an even amount of the goddam fluid?
So annoying having partial containers of automotive fluids on the shelf.

This rant should have been in the Pete Peeves thread!
Agreed. Then it'll get pushed to the back of my oil cabinet and I won't see it until I've already done my fluid change and I'll end up with two partial containers...haha.

WJCO

Meme King
Good shit to mix together and use for trail kit emergency. I think my gear oil in my trail kit is 75W80W95WSAE30 with a hint of 0W20. But I have no partial containers on my garage shelf at home. Winning.

jesse3638

Hooked
Good shit to mix together and use for trail kit emergency. I think my gear oil in my trail kit is 75W80W95WSAE30 with a hint of 0W20. But I have no partial containers on my garage shelf at home. Winning.
My ocd won't allow me to do that. I will combine same weights of different brands but that's really hard still..haha.

After moving I gave away about 10 quarts of new oil I had on my shelf for about 15 Years that were for old cars I didn't have any more. Just couldn't bring myself to get rid of it sooner.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
No the tiny amount of ATF left in the tube isn’t going to hurt anything. The dilution ration is so great that the trans isn’t gonna know

Ddays

Hooked

:cheesy: I don't know why I haven't done this. Unfortunately the inch of washer fluid left in the gallon container won't mix with anything

desertrunner

I have always used the same pump when doing my oil changes I just fill a bucket of water and pump it through a few times to clean out what I can and so far no issues for me doing that with my diff oil, transfer case, and manual trans.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

No the tiny amount of ATF left in the tube isn’t going to hurt anything. The dilution ration is so great that the trans isn’t gonna know
☝️☝️ This ☝️☝️

I have always used the same pump when doing my oil changes I just fill a bucket of water and pump it through a few times to clean out what I can and so far no issues for me doing that with my diff oil, transfer case, and manual trans.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app
I would rather have a little oil of a different viscosity mixed in than soapy water.

If your OCD is too bad, just pump the first little bit right into the waste oil you just drained, just to be sure it's clean. Your going to have leftover anyway, so you won't loose anything.

jesse3638

Hooked
[emoji3516][emoji3516] This [emoji3516][emoji3516]

I would rather have a little oil of a different viscosity mixed in than soapy water.

If your OCD is too bad, just pump the first little bit right into the waste oil you just drained, just to be sure it's clean. Your going to have leftover anyway, so you won't loose anything.
Not a bad idea. I could always just pump old oil through it too I suppose. Thanks for everyone's help.

Top Bottom