Blown motor

rogerk93

So as some of you know I’ve been having over heating issues with my Jeep, I replaced the thermostat and everything was fine for a couple of weeks then it came back with a vengeance. I was driving to jersey my Jeep completely overheated and before I even get the opportunity to pull to the shoulder the motor died. I got the Jeep towed home and after changing plugs, coil packs, water pump, and the belt the Jeep didn’t start. I checked the cylinders and it is filled with coolant. I had my Jeep towed to the dealer and they confirmed the motor is blown. The Jeep only has 65,000 miles on it but the power train warranty expires a month ago. I called Chrysler and they said there is a good will program since the warranty expired just a month ago they may be able to cover it under warranty I just have to wait till Monday till a case manager calls me and confirms. I really hope everything goes well but I’m confused on how this all happened from the start.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So as some of you know I’ve been having over heating issues with my Jeep, I replaced the thermostat and everything was fine for a couple of weeks then it came back with a vengeance. I was driving to jersey my Jeep completely overheated and before I even get the opportunity to pull to the shoulder the motor died. I got the Jeep towed home and after changing plugs, coil packs, water pump, and the belt the Jeep didn’t start. I checked the cylinders and it is filled with coolant. I had my Jeep towed to the dealer and they confirmed the motor is blown. The Jeep only has 65,000 miles on it but the power train warranty expires a month ago. I called Chrysler and they said there is a good will program since the warranty expired just a month ago they may be able to cover it under warranty I just have to wait till Monday till a case manager calls me and confirms. I really hope everything goes well but I’m confused on how this all happened from the start.

Well you overheated it so many time Rodger that the heads warped and caused the head gasket to let loose.

Frankly idk if it is really blown. Unless there is damage the the short block (meaning it’s warped or cracked) they could rebuild it with fresh heads and all the essentials.

jesse3638

Hooked
Well you overheated it so many time Rodger that the heads warped and caused the head gasket to let loose.

Frankly idk if it is really blown. Unless there is damage the the short block (meaning it’s warped or cracked) they could rebuild it with fresh heads and all the essentials.
^^^This^^^
Over heating simply doesn't mean things are just getting hotter than normal and need to cool down. Metal becomes softer, things warp, tolerances open up, etc etc.

If you have coolant in the cylinders sounds like at very least you lost the head gasket water jacket. However things could have cracked and allowed coolant from the coolant passages into the cylinders. As coz said if the block is good you could have it rebuilt, but realistically this will mostly be advantageous if you're doing it otherwise labor will add up and trump the savings. Save the headache and buy an already rebuilt/refurbished or low mileage used motor. It'll cost more but labor probably won't be as high. Hopefully it's all covered under warranty.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

rogerk93

^^^This^^^
Over heating simply doesn't mean things are just getting hotter than normal and need to cool down. Metal becomes softer, things warp, tolerances open up, etc etc.

If you have coolant in the cylinders sounds like at very least you lost the head gasket water jacket. However things could have cracked and allowed coolant from the coolant passages into the cylinders. As coz said if the block is good you could have it rebuilt, but realistically this will mostly be advantageous if you're doing it otherwise labor will add up and trump the savings. Save the headache and buy an already rebuilt/refurbished or low mileage used motor. It'll cost more but labor probably won't be as high. Hopefully it's all covered under warranty.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yea I know but I couldn’t find the problem and still don’t know what caused the overheating, I changed the thermostat which wasn’t bad In the first place but it did stop the problem for a little then I changed the water pump after it blew and found there was nothing wrong with the old one too. The blades was still there and it spun fine. I don’t know what else could of caused it to get hot.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I’m assuming that your radiator is clean and not filled with dirt or silt? Anything blocking the radiator like a winch or grill inserts? Coolant mixed correctly and not mixed with the wrong type? Fan works?

Last edited:
Top Bottom