To Ditch it Or To Fix It; that time of a Jeep's life

tonytony9

As the title reads, I got some possibly unfortunate news from my mechanic on Monday. Last weekend, I was installing my new winch on my 1/4 pounder and I noticed some drips on my garage floor. To my surprise, I found an accumulation of oil around a gasket. As I started looking around, I also noticed that the radiator was almost bone dry, with just a little fluid in the overfill and possibly some within the radiator itself. Oil seemed a little over a quart low. I believe oil was changed around 3,500k miles ago, and radiator color and level seemed fine around that millage as well. No overheating or indicators lights on the dash for low coolant.

Brought it in to check on both issues. My mechanic ran a pressure test on the radiator and there were no external leaks. He came back to me with the following issues though:
  • Oil Leak, Rear Main Oil Seal
  • Coolant Loss, Internal Engine
  • R/F Coil Spring Broken
  • 2 Front Axle U Joint, On their last legs
  • Engine Light, Catalytic Convertor O2 Sensors or Cats themselves (knew about this, just never bothered to get fixed yet)

So the quick background, I am a recent graduate with a new job, I have a 08 JKU now with 168k miles (my first, and only car which has a lot of sentimental value). I commute to work via train so I rarely drive except on the weekends now, and we have other cars in the family. It is the most financially smart move to sell my car, although, I always had a dream of keeping this girl going forever and one day rebuilding it with the build it deserves.

Body is in great condition, it has some decent modifications and lots of new parts on it. Other than the O2 sensor issue, everything has been exceptionally maintained. Mechanic noted he thought it would not be worth fixing because once he started to break down the engine things could start to snowball on cost. So, I am asking the opinion of the forums. I love the car, and wanted to keep it as a second ride. Not in the position to buy something new. She runs, always felt like a very strong engine. Never has left me stranded. Is it time to ditch it before the value tanks and I sink a ton into it?

As of right now, I made him do an oil change, top off the coolant, and clean up around the leak. Going to drive it around a few hundred miles and see what my levels are at to see what an estimate of loss/mile range would be.

To make clear, this is my DD, although I have options of other vehicles to drive for the time being. The engine is currently NOT blown and running fine. I guess we just do not know for how long??

Last edited:

tonytony9

This would be cheaper in the long run then a new car payment.

The only reason I wanted a new vehicle was drive ability and interior aging. With a new alpine head unit from uncle, leather seats or covers, and maybe the new engine I could be a very happy camper.

Ddays

Hooked
The only reason I wanted a new vehicle was drive ability and interior aging. With a new alpine head unit from uncle, leather seats or covers, and maybe the new engine I could be a very happy camper.

Before you make up your mind ask around at a couple garages & see what the costs would be for a lower mileage motor swap. Costs nothing and once you have some estimates in hand you can figure out a course of action from there. Line Notnalc said, it's cheaper in the long run, especially since it's a second car.

tonytony9

Before you make up your mind ask around at a couple garages & see what the costs would be for a lower mileage motor swap. Costs nothing and once you have some estimates in hand you can figure out a course of action from there. Line Notnalc said, it's cheaper in the long run, especially since it's a second car.

Absolutely, I have a lot of research to do. And I am in no rush. Wayalife is always my first go to, so just getting some feelers. This is my daily driver, but I do have other options for the time being.

I have always wanted to do the 5.7 AEV conversion, and for the cost of a rebuilt (assuming around 2500) saving up for a few months extra and dropping one of those in would definitely make me keep this as my DD for years to come.

If you like it and want a Jeep. Put 4 grand into it call it a day. New/rebuilt motor, u joints, cats.

It’s a second vehicle right? Don’t rush it and seriously don’t consider resale value either. It’s an 11 year old Jeep with a blown motor not a numbers matching Road Runner.

tonytony9

If you like it and want a Jeep. Put 4 grand into it call it a day. New/rebuilt motor, u joints, cats.

It’s a second vehicle right? Don’t rush it and seriously don’t consider resale value either. It’s an 11 year old Jeep with a blown motor not a numbers matching Road Runner.

No it is a y daily driver, although, I have access to other vehicles through the fam. And I have access to a mint e36 convertible for when the weather is nice. Engine is not blown, currently. Running fine.

Second opinion time. I’d want proof it’s drinking the coolant before making a decision, especially if it’s not running any different.
Also if you sold it as is not telling the buyer it might need an engine is a real fucking dick move.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wjtstudios

Hooked
Absolutely, I have a lot of research to do. And I am in no rush. Wayalife is always my first go to, so just getting some feelers. This is my daily driver, but I do have other options for the time being.

I have always wanted to do the 5.7 AEV conversion, and for the cost of a rebuilt (assuming around 2500) saving up for a few months extra and dropping one of those in would definitely make me keep this as my DD for years to come.

There’s a lot more to the 5.7 AEV conversion verse just swapping in a similar 3.8. The costs will quadruple but i’m all for you going for it!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I highly doubt that you need a new engine based off your description of the problems. You mentioned that the coolant was low and it didn’t have any external leaks. You also mentioned that the oil was almost a quart low. Your mechanic said that you have an internal coolant leak, well where is the coolant going? Not in the crank case so it sounds like you’re developing a probable head gasket leak allowing coolant out the exhaust which would also possibly explain the O2 sensor issue.

I suggest you get a second opinion or do some research on diagnosing a head gasket leak (rough running / white exhaust smoke at cold startup). I’m guessing that you’re not real mechanical so maybe have that and the oil seal fixed by a professional, but the spring and u-joints are easy enough that with some tools and youtube you could do yourself or with help from a buddy.

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
I highly doubt that you need a new engine based off your description of the problems. You mentioned that the coolant was low and it didn’t have any external leaks. You also mentioned that the oil was almost a quart low. Your mechanic said that you have an internal coolant leak, well where is the coolant going? Not in the crank case so it sounds like you’re developing a probable head gasket leak allowing coolant out the exhaust which would also possibly explain the O2 sensor issue.

I suggest you get a second opinion or do some research on diagnosing a head gasket leak (rough running / white exhaust smoke at cold startup). I’m guessing that you’re not real mechanical so maybe have that and the oil seal fixed by a professional, but the spring and u-joints are easy enough that with some tools and youtube you could do yourself or with help from a buddy.

Exactly what he said!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

tonytony9

There’s a lot more to the 5.7 AEV conversion verse just swapping in a similar 3.8. The costs will quadruple but i’m all for you going for it!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Would love to learn more about it and if people have experience with it. I have friends and family who are expert car guys who I would love to do the build with, so I would really only be experiencing the parts cost.

tonytony9

Yes I am going to get a second opinion. Thank you for the advice. Not a pro mechanic, just shade/back yard warrior. I get my hands dirty like installing lifts and most mods. But the real gritty stuff I usually leave to my other mechanic (who we have used for 15+ years) unfortunately, his shop was booked up when I had to bring it in last week.

tonytony9

The o2 sensor issue has been around for a long time, but that would make sense.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Would love to learn more about it and if people have experience with it. I have friends and family who are expert car guys who I would love to do the build with, so I would really only be experiencing the parts cost.

Yes I am going to get a second opinion. Thank you for the advice. Not a pro mechanic, just shade/back yard warrior. I get my hands dirty like installing lifts and most mods. But the real gritty stuff I usually leave to my other mechanic (who we have used for 15+ years) unfortunately, his shop was booked up when I had to bring it in last week.

You have friends and family who are expert car guys who can do a motor swap but not a single one can help you with your current problem? Wtf?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

tonytony9

Sorry for the bad news OP. This is what I'd do. Maybe something in diesel for me honestly, if I had the luxury of a project jeep.

Ah man a diesel would be great. Id probably aim more for the AEV/just a hemi conversion after I do the proper research.

Top Bottom