Question about building a Sterling 10.5

Carbon6

I recently traded a few jku parts for a set of 1tons from at 07 Superduty that I’m looking to build. So far I’ve acquired a Yukon air locker w/ 5.13 gears, Artec rear brackets, and ballistic fab sterling shave kit. Had a few questions and wanted to see what y’all thought...

1. I’ve talked to a few companies and one option that I’m contemplating is swapping the axle tubes/shaft to shift the pumpkin over to clear the gas tank. I’ve been quoted approx $1200 to do this along with installing the shave kit. The other option is to install a set of Evo arms (mid or long) and push the axle back an inch or 2.

2. Which is a better option- pinion flange or pinion yoke?

3. Crane/Weaver fabrication makes a rear unit bearing cup that sounds like
It would make maintenance easier in the long run and im interested in whether or not it would be usable on the sterling... “We are pleased to announce that we are stocking unit bearing cups for the 05′-up large Ford Superduty unit bearings. These are weld on cups to replace a typical wet spindle setup on a rear axle. Swapping parts in a race situation or dirty environment is a snap with a dry unit bearing. No gear oil and greasy bearings. No broken shafts stuck in the spindle bore. No bent spindles. Replace a complete corner in 10 minutes flat if needed. Carrying a single spare that fits all corners is another huge plus. Easily fits a 40 spline shaft or bigger.” Link: https://www.weaverfabrication.com/product/2005-unit-bearing-cups/

4. If #3 is possible I would need drive flanges for the rear but how hard would it be to get a set of axle shafts made? I know moser has a program that can custom build CroMoly axles for you for about $500 but this seems like it might require several trial and errors to get the axle right.

5. If #4 is possible then I’m assuming it’s possible to run Cranes new f450 unit bearing that’s drilled 8x6.5 on all 4 corners? https://craneaxle.com/default/modified-super-duty-unit-bearing.html

6. I have a set of Grand Cherokee SRT brembo brakes that I would love to use, anyone see any issues other than having to make a custom bracket to mount them? I have Dynatrac’s Progrip 2 brakes on my JKU now and don’t want to lose the stopping power when I start running 40/42s (esp when driving in LA/OC traffic).

My JKU: Kraftwerks supercharged automatic. 4in Evo enforcer Stage 1 bolt-on coilover w/ Currie adjustable uppers. Dynatrac 44 front w/ 4.88s, arb, RCVs, and Progrip 2 6piston brakes. Factory rear w/ 4.88s, arb, ten axles, Progrip 2 4piston rear. J8 brake booster upgrade. Monster bead-locked 37s.

Carbon6

Here’s a few pics of my JKU

Attachments

• 0545D210-236B-4B40-BEFF-3D7C771F7B21.jpg
    0545D210-236B-4B40-BEFF-3D7C771F7B21.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 313B3BD4-4E8D-4CBA-AAFB-A409855C2790.jpg
    313B3BD4-4E8D-4CBA-AAFB-A409855C2790.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Exodus 4x4

IMO it’s not cost effective to build junkyard axles anymore, but more people disagree with that statement than will agree with it.

1) Yes swap the shafts and shift the pumpkin.

2) Flange

3) No, don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Carbon6

Looks like it spends half of it's time upside down ������

Those are from my wheeling trip in Australia, I removed them for more local wheeling pics

IMO it’s not cost effective to build junkyard axles anymore, but more people disagree with that statement than will agree with it.

2) Flange

3) No, don’t.
]

Thank you for the reply back, I’ll admit my plans are based off reading what y’all have done to make these axles work. I agree that this swap will not be as cost effective as I hoped but I’m hoping I end up somewhere between a junkyard build and dynatrac full build (at minimum stronger than a UD60). is there a reason for not swapping to the unit bearing cups? Too complicated or not recommended for a street rig? What about using SRT brakes on the sterling?

Last edited:

metalic

2) Flange

3) No, don’t.

Unless you can do the labor yourself
I built a 14b/60 ARB’s, RCV’s, gears, all Artec brackets for a lot less than bought axles. I have no labor in them though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom