Sport Gearing 4.56 or 4.10 and 35" Tires - Several Questions and Input Needed

Utah_Jay

We own an 18 JLU Sport. Has the M200 D35 rear axle. I am surprised at how good the 3.45 gearing is with the 31.5" tires it came with.

Tires - 315/70r17 is what we decided on. We are strongly leaning towards the BF Goodrich KO2's. Will decide by next weekend and make purchase. If you have any additional recommendations to look at tire wise please feel free to chime in. On my JK I ran the Hankooks and loved it. We are sticking to 35's and nothing bigger.

Gearing - I had made up my mind to stick 4.56's in there. Being I have the D35 Rear there is nothing available in the way of lockers or LSD on the market yet. I am ok with that. I have ran plenty of Moab on open differentials.

The other option is to buy a crate axle off Rubicon .....but it comes with 4.10's....and I understand they are wider. If I were to do that would 4.10's be good enough for 35's and still use 7th and 8th gear? I don't want to buy a Rubicon axle and have to re-gear it right away due to cost. Also would a Rubicon axle in the rear look out of place since they run wider? I am thinking it would look really bad.

Last - Tuner after the re-gear. Looking at the trail cal - any good?

Thanks for your input.

Muttley

We own an 18 JLU Sport. Has the M200 D35 rear axle. I am surprised at how good the 3.45 gearing is with the 31.5" tires it came with.

Tires - 315/70r17 is what we decided on. We are strongly leaning towards the BF Goodrich KO2's. Will decide by next weekend and make purchase. If you have any additional recommendations to look at tire wise please feel free to chime in. On my JK I ran the Hankooks and loved it. We are sticking to 35's and nothing bigger.

Gearing - I had made up my mind to stick 4.56's in there. Being I have the D35 Rear there is nothing available in the way of lockers or LSD on the market yet. I am ok with that. I have ran plenty of Moab on open differentials.

The other option is to buy a crate axle off Rubicon .....but it comes with 4.10's....and I understand they are wider. If I were to do that would 4.10's be good enough for 35's and still use 7th and 8th gear? I don't want to buy a Rubicon axle and have to re-gear it right away due to cost. Also would a Rubicon axle in the rear look out of place since they run wider? I am thinking it would look really bad.

Last - Tuner after the re-gear. Looking at the trail cal - any good?

Thanks for your input.

Here’s a video of a sport on the 315 KO2’s. This was at Dishpan Springs , stock gearing no LSD. 4.5 inch lift. I am going to re-gear as well but wondering how much I really need to go IMG_8163.jpg with this set-up..

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Muttley

Here’s a video of a sport on the 315 KO2’s. This was at Dishpan Springs , stock gearing no LSD. 4.5 inch lift. I am going to re-gear as well but wondering how much I really need to go View attachment 333049 with this set-up..

Well I guess I can’t post a video, but here’s a picture ! Was pretty surprised how well it did on this trail..

TwitchingDog

I ended up ordering 2.5 lift, 4.56 gears and 315 KO2’s

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

That’s a good setup. I’m running AEV 2.5 with Yukon 4.56 and 315 Duratracs. I have noticed that at higher speeds (65mph or 70mph) the rpms run high, but I’m also in a 2012, so I don’t have the higher gears for OD.

You should enjoy the combo. I’m going to move to 37s which should fix my issue. I think you’ll be happy.

Let me know how it turns out!! [emoji122]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

morricus

I would think it would be cheaper and more cost effective to just trade in your Sport for an actual Rubicon.

Top Bottom