A good dealership story.....almost

Skeeterbait

So....In early July check engine light comes on, P0520. Oil pressure switch.
Take it to the dealership at 98K miles. Have them change spark plugs and belt, flush radiator while they are at it.
Pick it up, service work complete but they only reset the check engine light. They said they took for a drive, but light never returns.
I drive off, light and code come back the next day. Drop it back off at the dealership, 18 July.
Pick it up (19July) they replaced the switch. Plus I asked them to change the front pinion seal (was weeping) and right rear wheel speed sensor connector.
ALL COVERED UNDER WARRANTY!!! Awesome! I have an extended, 6 year 100K warranty.
Drive off lot, 7.5 miles later, suddenly sounds like someone is shaking a can of marbles in the engine. Engine seizes and dies, I coast to the side of the road. Starter wont budge the engine.

Pissed!:mad:

Call dealership, "nothing we did would have caused that, bring it back we will look at it."
Call roadside, waiting on tow. Check engine codes. P2172. Throttle actuator control system, sudden high airflow detected. Hmmm, dont they pull most the intake to get to that switch?

Couple days go by. Dealer calls, one of the pistons broke into 13 pieces. Mechanic (original) service manager, plus someone else (cant remember) all verified it wasnt caused by the original work.
Needs a new engine, should be covered by warranty. Just need to clear it through corporate. Gotta wait for a guy from corporate to come out and look at it.

This morning, 1 month later, I have had a loaner this whole time ( I called or stopped buy at least once a week to get a status). Dealership called and said that repairs wont be covered under my warranty due to my vehicle modifications. Gave me a number to call at corporate to argue my case. Called the number, someone will get back to me in 1-3 days.

They already covered warranty repairs after I did my lift.
EVO stage 3, King shocks, 35" tires, ATX slabs, Progrips, few other odds and ends, NO engine work. Still have factory airbox. 98k(ish) miles. Lift installed Oct 2017 at around 84k miles if I remember right.

Any advice? Experience or success getting corporate to honor a warranty? Lawyer time?

Thanks!

WJCO

Meme King
Wait for the phone call. If they won't cover it, I would definitely get a lawyer involved. Stupid that they covered the first repairs when the mods were present but not now.

I’ve heard enough horror stories from dealer warranty rejections to say you’re probably not going to win the argument. Something along the lines of “you put oversize heavy tires on it which caused the engine to have to work harder and put extra stress on the Internals... and blah blah” will be used to void it. Hope for the best though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Skeeterbait

I’ve heard enough horror stories from dealer warranty rejections to say you’re probably not going to win the argument. Something along the lines of “you put oversize heavy tires on it which caused the engine to have to work harder and put extra stress on the Internals... and blah blah” will be used to void it. Hope for the best though.

Kinda what I am expecting.
Dealer says $8900 for parts labor. Holy cheese and rice!

When I called corporate, they didn't have anything on file. Nothing linked to my VIN :thinking:. So waiting for a call back from an actual case rep, not the person the computer phone tree drops you off at.
Gonna see what they say when they call, then check options with a lawyer if needed.

Irritated, in the middle of moving jobs and states. Selling house, buying new house all that nonsense, then this.
Beer thirty yet?

Dale72

Hooked
Kinda what I am expecting.
Dealer says $8900 for parts labor. Holy cheese and rice!

When I called corporate, they didn't have anything on file. Nothing linked to my VIN :thinking:. So waiting for a call back from an actual case rep, not the person the computer phone tree drops you off at.
Gonna see what they say when they call, then check options with a lawyer if needed.

Irritated, in the middle of moving jobs and states. Selling house, buying new house all that nonsense, then this.
Beer thirty yet?
It's always Beer 30 somewhere

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

A.J.

As far as warranty goes they have to prove the modifications caused the failure. I would get corporate involved. What probably happened is extended warranty denied it because it was caused by lean condition (air leak ) from previous repair and the dealership doesn’t want to foot the bill. Get a case going with Chrysler and give them the facts. Dates time mileage etc. in chronological order. Ask if you need to get an attorney involved ( passive threat) or can this be resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
In court (or arbitration since I'm sure the warranty contract has an arbitration provision mandating arbitration in a particular state), the dealer will have the burden of proving the aftermarket part(s) damaged the OEM part(s). That's great on the back end, but it doesn't do squat on the front end to get you a working vehicle.

If you go the lawyer route and have to take this all the way, you should probably plan on not having a Jeep for 8-14 months. You will also likely have to pay to hire experts to rebut Chrysler's position (that's in addition to paying your own lawyer.) Most lawyers don't front the cost of experts.

The speed of justice is a lot like a truck stop ketchup bottle, but it costs much more.

fiend

Caught the Bug
In court (or arbitration since I'm sure the warranty contract has an arbitration provision mandating arbitration in a particular state), the dealer will have the burden of proving the aftermarket part(s) damaged the OEM part(s). That's great on the back end, but it doesn't do squat on the front end to get you a working vehicle.

If you go the lawyer route and have to take this all the way, you should probably plan on not having a Jeep for 8-14 months. You will also likely have to pay to hire experts to rebut Chrysler's position (that's in addition to paying your own lawyer.) Most lawyers don't front the cost of experts.

The speed of justice is a lot like a truck stop ketchup bottle, but it costs much more.

And the experts will cost more than paying out of pocket for a new engine. Possibly more than just buying a new car.

To the OP: be prepared to consider and accept some kind of compromise deal, where you pay out of pocket a portion of the cost of repairs. Almost every case settles with both sides making compromises.

Dale72

Hooked

Everything cost more at a truck stop because they know that we can't really stop anywhere else so they stick it to the truck driver

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
I feel for you man. It's really irritating how dealerships will stick it to you.

I had an 05 Pathfinder that blew the tranny because the tranny coolant line passed through the rad and was eaten through. Nothing I did or could have done would have prevented this from happening - this was solely due to a design flaw. 5 months after they fixed it all under warranty - SURPRISE! - same exact thing happened except this time they would not cover it. Argued, threatened, talked to district manager, and gave up after two months of fighting. Like Sharkey said, be prepared for a long fight. I couldn't afford to be without the vehicle at that time so I traded it in and took a bath. Not much you can do sometimes. I'll never buy another Nissan but they don't give a shit.

Skeeterbait

And the experts will cost more than paying out of pocket for a new engine. Possibly more than just buying a new car.

To the OP: be prepared to consider and accept some kind of compromise deal, where you pay out of pocket a portion of the cost of repairs. Almost every case settles with both sides making compromises.

Seems to be going this way. Turns out I had a extended SERVICE contract not an extended WARRANTY, so no obligation from the company Magnuson-Moss Act. But the company is going to refund me the cost of the service contract. Pro-rated of course...so there is $25 bucks in my pocket. Winning....

Customer Care called and said they can get me the "dealer price" on a new motor install ($7K) and that they will cover half, and I pay the other half.

Chaps my ass that I take it in for engine work, drive off the lot and the engine seizes and I get the "not our fault line" from the dealer. "Big tires caused a piston to shatter."

Waiting on call back from customer care and from a lawyer just to check on where I stand legally. But 3500 for a new motor is probably substantially cheaper than what the lawyer will want:mad:

jdofmemi

With that offer, at least they are using some lube, instead of just forcing it in dry.

Will the new engine have a warranty?

Torrin

That actually is a "fair" offer since you cannot demonstrate the earlier work caused the issue. Let's be clear, the dealership is happy to do the work (they get paid for this), it is the warranty company (whether FCA or other insurer) that is causing the problem. Sounds like the dealership did their best.

TrailHunter

Hooked
$3500 for a new motor & install? I’d do it. Like Jerry mentioned... you need some kind of warranty on the new engine.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Going from an end of life 98k engine to a brand new one for $3500 sounds like a pretty fair deal to me, especially since you can’t prove that the dealer caused the problem. At least you can’t prove it for $3500 or less.

Last edited:
Sucks but is what it is. You’d spend that much to get a junkyard one and labor. Might as well have a NEW.

I do assume new. Not manufacturer rebuilt?

Top Bottom