Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: A good dealership story.....almost

  1. #1
    Caught the Bug Skeeterbait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    51

    Angry A good dealership story.....almost

    So....In early July check engine light comes on, P0520. Oil pressure switch.
    Take it to the dealership at 98K miles. Have them change spark plugs and belt, flush radiator while they are at it.
    Pick it up, service work complete but they only reset the check engine light. They said they took for a drive, but light never returns.
    I drive off, light and code come back the next day. Drop it back off at the dealership, 18 July.
    Pick it up (19July) they replaced the switch. Plus I asked them to change the front pinion seal (was weeping) and right rear wheel speed sensor connector.
    ALL COVERED UNDER WARRANTY!!! Awesome! I have an extended, 6 year 100K warranty.
    Drive off lot, 7.5 miles later, suddenly sounds like someone is shaking a can of marbles in the engine. Engine seizes and dies, I coast to the side of the road. Starter wont budge the engine.

    Pissed!

    Call dealership, "nothing we did would have caused that, bring it back we will look at it."
    Call roadside, waiting on tow. Check engine codes. P2172. Throttle actuator control system, sudden high airflow detected. Hmmm, dont they pull most the intake to get to that switch?

    Couple days go by. Dealer calls, one of the pistons broke into 13 pieces. Mechanic (original) service manager, plus someone else (cant remember) all verified it wasnt caused by the original work.
    Needs a new engine, should be covered by warranty. Just need to clear it through corporate. Gotta wait for a guy from corporate to come out and look at it.

    This morning, 1 month later, I have had a loaner this whole time ( I called or stopped buy at least once a week to get a status). Dealership called and said that repairs wont be covered under my warranty due to my vehicle modifications. Gave me a number to call at corporate to argue my case. Called the number, someone will get back to me in 1-3 days.

    They already covered warranty repairs after I did my lift.
    EVO stage 3, King shocks, 35" tires, ATX slabs, Progrips, few other odds and ends, NO engine work. Still have factory airbox. 98k(ish) miles. Lift installed Oct 2017 at around 84k miles if I remember right.

    Any advice? Experience or success getting corporate to honor a warranty? Lawyer time?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Meme King WJCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    29,168
    Wait for the phone call. If they won't cover it, I would definitely get a lawyer involved. Stupid that they covered the first repairs when the mods were present but not now.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES



    Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

    Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

  3. #3
    Caught the Bug Fury22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    97
    It irritates me so bad how much dealerships suck...stick it to em man

  4. #4
    Old Timer TrailHunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,720
    Whats a lawyer going to cost? And how long will that shit take? Vs... Whats a new engine going to cost?

  5. #5
    Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    1,751
    I’ve heard enough horror stories from dealer warranty rejections to say you’re probably not going to win the argument. Something along the lines of “you put oversize heavy tires on it which caused the engine to have to work harder and put extra stress on the Internals... and blah blah” will be used to void it. Hope for the best though.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

  6. #6
    Caught the Bug Skeeterbait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Snboarder113 View Post
    I’ve heard enough horror stories from dealer warranty rejections to say you’re probably not going to win the argument. Something along the lines of “you put oversize heavy tires on it which caused the engine to have to work harder and put extra stress on the Internals... and blah blah” will be used to void it. Hope for the best though.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    Kinda what I am expecting.
    Dealer says $8900 for parts labor. Holy cheese and rice!

    When I called corporate, they didn't have anything on file. Nothing linked to my VIN . So waiting for a call back from an actual case rep, not the person the computer phone tree drops you off at.
    Gonna see what they say when they call, then check options with a lawyer if needed.

    Irritated, in the middle of moving jobs and states. Selling house, buying new house all that nonsense, then this.
    Beer thirty yet?

  7. #7
    Nothing but a Thing Dale72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Jackson MS
    Posts
    1,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    Kinda what I am expecting.
    Dealer says $8900 for parts labor. Holy cheese and rice!

    When I called corporate, they didn't have anything on file. Nothing linked to my VIN . So waiting for a call back from an actual case rep, not the person the computer phone tree drops you off at.
    Gonna see what they say when they call, then check options with a lawyer if needed.

    Irritated, in the middle of moving jobs and states. Selling house, buying new house all that nonsense, then this.
    Beer thirty yet?
    It's always Beer 30 somewhere

    Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

  8. #8
    Knows a Thing or Two A.J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Grants Pass Or.
    Posts
    955
    As far as warranty goes they have to prove the modifications caused the failure. I would get corporate involved. What probably happened is extended warranty denied it because it was caused by lean condition (air leak ) from previous repair and the dealership doesn’t want to foot the bill. Get a case going with Chrysler and give them the facts. Dates time mileage etc. in chronological order. Ask if you need to get an attorney involved ( passive threat) or can this be resolved.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  9. #9
    Word Ninja Sharkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    12,394
    In court (or arbitration since I'm sure the warranty contract has an arbitration provision mandating arbitration in a particular state), the dealer will have the burden of proving the aftermarket part(s) damaged the OEM part(s). That's great on the back end, but it doesn't do squat on the front end to get you a working vehicle.

    If you go the lawyer route and have to take this all the way, you should probably plan on not having a Jeep for 8-14 months. You will also likely have to pay to hire experts to rebut Chrysler's position (that's in addition to paying your own lawyer.) Most lawyers don't front the cost of experts.

    The speed of justice is a lot like a truck stop ketchup bottle, but it costs much more.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

  10. #10
    Old Timer fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    In court (or arbitration since I'm sure the warranty contract has an arbitration provision mandating arbitration in a particular state), the dealer will have the burden of proving the aftermarket part(s) damaged the OEM part(s). That's great on the back end, but it doesn't do squat on the front end to get you a working vehicle.

    If you go the lawyer route and have to take this all the way, you should probably plan on not having a Jeep for 8-14 months. You will also likely have to pay to hire experts to rebut Chrysler's position (that's in addition to paying your own lawyer.) Most lawyers don't front the cost of experts.

    The speed of justice is a lot like a truck stop ketchup bottle, but it costs much more.
    And the experts will cost more than paying out of pocket for a new engine. Possibly more than just buying a new car.

    To the OP: be prepared to consider and accept some kind of compromise deal, where you pay out of pocket a portion of the cost of repairs. Almost every case settles with both sides making compromises.



    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Dealership Modded JK
    By XJADDICTION in forum Jeep Show & Tell
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-18-2017, 04:56 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-03-2016, 08:42 PM
  3. Oil Change at Dealership
    By bruggymonster in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-01-2016, 06:30 PM
  4. Good Old American Success Story - Plasti Dip
    By akershner in forum General Jeep Stuff
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-29-2015, 01:58 PM
  5. A Couple Good Dealership Stories
    By darkscion0 in forum General Jeep Stuff
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-13-2013, 12:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
“wayoflife” is a moniker that I’ve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS