Fix your Engine Tick before it gets expensive (3.6L Pentastar tick)

jorgelrod

Hooked
Just a word of warning, if your 3.6L starts to tick, whether it's via warranty or on your own dime, don't let it run to long like that. I took my rosey sweet time as I had "other priorities" in terms of my cash flow with my son spending the summer with me and my wife and all that. A simple fix that could have been an $8 rocker plus labor turned into a $600 dollar job as the exhaust cam had to be replaced because the damaged rocker grounded the cam lobe down.

Learn from my mistake, that's what this forum is for...

Sound advice. I let my tick go for nearly two years, eventually caused an entire failure of multiple rocker arms and bearings. If it starts sound like angry crickets jacking off in a coffee can, take her in.

Maybe I missed it, but was it a cold start noise or constant?

Mine was constant. At first is was really faint but got progressively worse as time went on. Got so loud I’d have to shut it off in a drive-thru to order my food. Then it started losing compression and that when I knew I had made the mistake of letting it go. Granted, my 2014 made it 167,500 before it finally gave up, but I feel like it could have made it to 200k if I would have fixed it sooner.

USMC Wrangler

Mine was constant. At first is was really faint but got progressively worse as time went on. Got so loud I’d have to shut it off in a drive-thru to order my food. Then it started losing compression and that when I knew I had made the mistake of letting it go. Granted, my 2014 made it 167,500 before it finally gave up, but I feel like it could have made it to 200k if I would have fixed it sooner.

That sucks and thanks for letting me know. I don’t have one yet, but will keep both ears open.

That sucks and thanks for letting me know. I don’t have one yet, but will keep both ears open.

For me it actually started as a slight ping that I was attributing to poor gas, but then as it started getting worse (and better gas wasn’t fixing it) I started paying closer attention and figure out pretty quickly it was a lifter/rocker ticking. I distinctly remember an instance where I was pulling a long hill and shifted into manual mode, I got to the top of the hill and forgot to shift back into 5th gear. Wasn’t for long, maybe only a half mile or so but it was enough that from that moment on, the Tick was noticeably worse and just got louder and louder.

I know these motors have been know to have lifter/rocker ticking issues, but I fully attribute my instance to moron error (myself being the moron) and then being too cheap to fix it right away.

mattfl

Mine started ticking about 2 months ago and it goes to the dealer on wednesday to get fixed! Should still be covered under the 100k powertrain as well.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Maybe I missed it, but was it a cold start noise or constant?

mine was constant, at higher RPMs if I had the window down, it sounded like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang...

Mine started ticking about 2 months ago and it goes to the dealer on wednesday to get fixed! Should still be covered under the 100k powertrain as well.

Make sure to tell them to check the cams, the dealer will be quick to replace the rocker arm and totally ignore the cam, if the lobe is chewed through and they dont change it, the tick will go away but the higher gas consumption and power loss from the intake and or exhaust time change will not go away. It's amazing how much you can learn on youtube but usually only after you fuck up :)

Last edited:

Jellymon

I know this is a 3.8, but I’ve noticed it getting a little rattly lately. Is this what you’re talking about?

mattfl

mine was constant, at higher RPMs if I had the window down, it sounded like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang...

Make sure to tell them to check the cams, the dealer will be quick to replace the rocker arm and totally ignore the cam, if the lobe is chewed through and they dont change it, the tick will go away but the higher gas consumption and power loss from the intake and or exhaust time change will not go away. It's amazing how much you can learn on youtube but usually only after you fuck up :)

Thanks! Will do!

mattfl

Dropped mine off this afternoon. They gave me a JLU as a loaner, wife already said don't get to comfy in it lol

jorgelrod

Hooked
Dropped mine off this afternoon. They gave me a JLU as a loaner, wife already said don't get to comfy in it lol

Same thing happened to me when I did the Gladiator ride along at Jeep Beach, she kept saying don't get to attached...

mattfl

Same thing happened to me when I did the Gladiator ride along at Jeep Beach, she kept saying don't get to attached...

I was in a vendor booth right across from the trail they were doing the ride alongs on, they were running those things all day long!

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug

Lol. My wife said the same thing when my buddy brought one home from work for the night. She looked right at me and said today is not the day! Lol

Top Bottom