Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to put down a dog?

Been Around the Block krdadlamb's Avatar

When to put down a dog?

Our 9 year old Springer has a cancerous tumor behind her eye. Currently the only sign is the swelling, nothing has changed in her behavior.
    Surgery is not a guaranteed solution with several possible complications.
    Medical treatment include her becoming aggressive and incontinent.
    Currently she is completely normal. We're leaning towards no treatment or surgery in order to let her be as happy and normal for as long as possible. The day will come when that will change.

Sorry to hear about your springer. We have a springer also that means the world to us who happened to be born with a heart condition. In your position I would make the choice to spoil her while I had her. I知 sure you値l know when the time comes for her to cross rainbow bridge.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by krdadlamb View Post
    Our 9 year old Springer has a cancerous tumor behind her eye. Currently the only sign is the swelling, nothing has changed in her behavior.
    Surgery is not a guaranteed solution with several possible complications.
    Medical treatment include her becoming aggressive and incontinent.
    Currently she is completely normal. We're leaning towards no treatment or surgery in order to let her be as happy and normal for as long as possible. The day will come when that will change.
    That's a hard one OP. I would say when your friend is suffering and there are no other options, that's a good time to think about euthanasia. Sounds like, while maybe not completely comfortable, your pooch is happy for now.

My 13 YO mix dog came down with Lymphoma earlier this summer. Literally went from eating fine to not eating at all within 2.5 weeks. My wife is a veterinary, it took us 1.5 weeks to finally diagnose the issue. He was lethargic and extremely sick with no viable treatment options. I had to say goodbye to my buddy to end his suffering. I still miss him, but I know I did the right thing to end his suffering.

Hug your pooch every day OP. Good luck, hopefully he lives many days to come.

Edit: Fiance, soon to be wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail JK View Post
    Sorry to hear about your springer. We have a springer also that means the world to us who happened to be born with a heart condition. In your position I would make the choice to spoil her while I had her. I知 sure you値l know when the time comes for her to cross rainbow bridge.

Couldn稚 agree more with this^^^ my springer tore a ligament in his rear leg and then got cancer a couple years later. He was never the same dog after the surgery but we spoiled the shit out of him till it was time for us to let him cross the bridge. He was 11.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JK
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assis

jlwrangler.com

I知 very sorry for you and your family...this is a tough decision. I put down my shepherd Maika段 when the pain in her hips became unbearable...for both of us.

Literally was just having this conversation with my Mom yesterday. Her dog is 15 years old and his back legs are giving out, and for a Lab/Newfoundland mix he has had a good life. Unfortunately he has trouble getting up and down the stairs and his legs give out sometimes when he poops. I will be sad to see him go.

Spoil her like there痴 no tomorrow! No matter what decision you make, you値l always second guess what you chose, but know that you did it all out of love. And know that your pup will always be with you, in your heart.

Sorry to hear but, good counsel above. You値l know because they値l let you know when it痴 time to let them go and scout the trail ahead for you.
    My other Jeep....Is a Jeep

Such a difficult decision and one that I have unfortunately made many, many times. I think taking extraordinary measures that are not likely to return a pet to a high quality of life is not fair to the pet, and most of the time it is really just the owner trying to ease the owner's pain rather than the pet's. At that point, at least for me, it is time to say good bye.
    Last edited by Sharkey; 08-21-2019 at 09:00 PM.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Just like Clutch said... Spoil them and love them like there's no tomorrow.do what's best for them no matter how much it hurts. Be there til the end I still cry.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using WAYALIFE mobile app
    泥ogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace.

典wenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do...
    Explore. Dream. Discover."

"Take a compass, because it's always awkward when you have to eat a friend."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast