Random Vibration

Weebz

Caught the Bug
Need some expert opinions/advice. I have a 2017 MT rubicon 4 door with 1310 Adams shafts on it that are only about 2 months old. Driving back from a job site a day ago I started to pick up a vibration in various gears and only at specific RPM but under load. Let off the gas...nothing. Feather the gas and its there. Definitely not tire related. Possibly bearing I guess but no noises or sounds to indicate as such. It's really just when under load. My cross member is fairly banged up but I crawled around under there and everything seems well supported with no issues and I hadn't done anything to change it's condition while driving it. Inspected the shafts and don't see any signs of damage. I will try greasing them tonight to make sure I didn't neglect something after my last few wheeling trips. Looking for some ideas where to look. Thanks in advance.

Ddays

Hooked
Need some expert opinions/advice. I have a 2017 MT rubicon 4 door with 1310 Adams shafts on it that are only about 2 months old. Driving back from a job site a day ago I started to pick up a vibration in various gears and only at specific RPM but under load. Let off the gas...nothing. Feather the gas and its there. Definitely not tire related. Possibly bearing I guess but no noises or sounds to indicate as such. It's really just when under load. My cross member is fairly banged up but I crawled around under there and everything seems well supported with no issues and I hadn't done anything to change it's condition while driving it. Inspected the shafts and don't see any signs of damage. I will try greasing them tonight to make sure I didn't neglect something after my last few wheeling trips. Looking for some ideas where to look. Thanks in advance.

Any chance a weight could have been knocked off of one of the driveshafts?

Weebz

Caught the Bug
Any chance a weight could have been knocked off of one of the driveshafts?

Possible I guess. Like I said though I was just on a job site, flat mass grading site with a client. No issues. No bumps. Nothing stupid. Left the site and all of the sudden I could feel it. I need to drive for 8 hours straight on Sunday down to North Carolina and just a little leery of what damage I may be doing.

wjtstudios

Hooked
You can try to isolate it by pulling a drive shaft and driving it to see if it’s gone. They swap them. That would at least isolate or eliminate the driveshafts as the point of vibration.

I have had a tire balance issue seem to calm down with out power applied to them too. Before you dive too deep, you might want to have have them balanced again just to rule that out as well.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
You can try to isolate it by pulling a drive shaft and driving it to see if it’s gone. They swap them. That would at least isolate or eliminate the driveshafts as the point of vibration.

I have had a tire balance issue seem to calm down with out power applied to them too. Before you dive too deep, you might want to have have them balanced again just to rule that out as well.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Yep I would start here too.

Weebz

Caught the Bug

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Good call on pulling the shafts. Easy enough. Tires are a moot point. Because you are planning our trip west they will go with the new axles being put in. I think I’m biting a big bullet and going 40s. 🙄. I blame you

wjtstudios

Hooked
Good call on pulling the shafts. Easy enough. Tires are a moot point. Because you are planning our trip west they will go with the new axles being put in. I think I’m biting a big bullet and going 40s. [emoji849]. I blame you

I’m having serious thoughts about that too. To dump the SF for a FF and not go to 40s seems like a half attempt. Either stay where I’m at and deal with the squeaks or dive in and do it right. And yes, I need to get on this trip...

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Weebz

Caught the Bug
I’m having serious thoughts about that too. To dump the SF for a FF and not go to 40s seems like a half attempt. Either stay where I’m at and deal with the squeaks or dive in and do it right. And yes, I need to get on this trip...

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I’m a lot different than you. I’m still stock axles so I’m making a jump and it’s going to FF. Hearing is my hang up because if I’m having it geared i either need to stay at 37 or gear for 40. Since Michigan killed my tires I figure screw it. Do it once and be done.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’m a lot different than you. I’m still stock axles so I’m making a jump and it’s going to FF. Hearing is my hang up because if I’m having it geared i either need to stay at 37 or gear for 40. Since Michigan killed my tires I figure screw it. Do it once and be done.

But it was fun!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Ddays

Hooked
Damn you guys, quit it! :cheesy:

I'm sticking with my little ol 37's and keeping my PR44 front. I'm perfectly happy with that tire size and that axle has been great for me. With all the other shit I'm changing I'll be starting to buy shit as soon as Bubba gets back from JKX :crazyeyes:

Edit: Just priced the set of Fusion 60's and they're $14k. By the time I'd be done with wheels, tires, etc, etc, I'd be staring $20k in the face. :icon_crazy:

Last edited:

Weebz

Caught the Bug

I'm sticking with my little ol 37's and keeping my PR44 front. I'm perfectly happy with that tire size and that axle has been great for me. With all the other shit I'm changing I'll be starting to buy shit as soon as Bubba gets back from JKX :crazyeyes:

Edit: Just priced the set of Fusion 60's and they're $14k. By the time I'd be done with wheels, tires, etc, etc, I'd be staring $20k in the face. :icon_crazy:

You know damn well you aren’t supposed to tell me what I’m spending! I know it but don’t want to see it in writing. I have to buy a front axle first and foremost. Going to be a bear...be a grizzly

It was a blast but I can’t believe how bad that rock ate my tires.

Weebz

Caught the Bug

And seriously....you have to buy wheels anyway. Stop trying to act like that is part off your decision.

fiend

Caught the Bug

I have heard about several instances of Adams shafts being unbalanced from the get go. I’d focus there.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
Much appreciated. Will try and yank the front tonight and give it a test. Then switch. If it’s a driveshaft am I good to drive it for a bit?

Long enough and it can hurt the TC. Short term, your probably fine

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

fiend

Caught the Bug
Much appreciated. Will try and yank the front tonight and give it a test. Then switch. If it’s a driveshaft am I good to drive it for a bit?

I had a vibration similar to yours. I thought it might be the front and removed it. One of the U joints had a little play, so I replaced it. But the vibration was still there with the front driveshaft on the garage floor, so I reinstalled the front shaft, removed the rear, and drove around for a bit in 4WD, using the front shaft. Vibration gone. Brought the rear shaft to a shop, who detected various damage related issues. Including 50 thousandths runout. Had the rear rebuilt and no problems since.

So yes you can drive with one of the shafts out. I wouldn’t do a lot of that on the front shaft though, as it may put extra stress and wear on the TC, particularly if you’re driving at highway speeds. Driving around on the rear alone, indefinitely, should be fine. That’s basically what you’re doing when in 2WD.

Last edited:

Weebz

Caught the Bug
I had a vibration similar to yours. I thought it might be the front and removed it. One of the U joints had a little play, so I replaced it. But the vibration was still there with the front driveshaft on the garage floor, so I reinstalled the front shaft, removed the rear, and drove around for a bit in 4WD, using the front shaft. Vibration gone. Brought the rear shaft to a shop, who detected various damage related issues. Including 50 thousandths runout. Had the rear rebuilt and no problems since.

So yes you can drive with one of the shafts out. I wouldn’t do a lot of that on the front shaft though, as it may put extra stress and wear on the TC, particularly if you’re driving at highway speeds. Driving around on the rear alone, indefinitely, should be fine. That’s basically what you’re doing when in 2WD.

Good advice and good to know. I suspect if it’s a shaft it’s the rear. I’ll check it out. One way or another I need to limp it as is till I get back from vacation. I’ll post up if I find anything.

wjtstudios

Hooked

So when I don’t sleep, like most nights, I’ve run the numbers a million different ways.

In the end a set of Fusions is 14k. Bead locks 2500, tires 2500 ish. 19k all in. Then recoup 6-7 on my current axles that were 12 and Hutchersons that are 18 months old. So about 12-13k.

To just sell the SF rear, which is a lot less marketable, to get a FF and then by spin tech front hubs, regear the front, new wheels and tires is 14k. With at most a 3-4K return on the rear axle and Hutchersons. It’s 10-11k for a moderate upgrade verses being done at 12-13k. In my mind, it’s worth the extra 1-2k to be done right.

Or just throws he 39s on my SF and be done with it and let it squeak.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Weebz

Caught the Bug
So when I don’t sleep, like most nights, I’ve run the numbers a million different ways.

In the end a set of Fusions is 14k. Bead locks 2500, tires 2500 ish. 19k all in. Then recoup 6-7 on my current axles that were 12 and Hutchersons that are 18 months old. So about 12-13k.

To just sell the SF rear, which is a lot less marketable, to get a FF and then by spin tech front hubs, regear the front, new wheels and tires is 14k. With at most a 3-4K return on the rear axle and Hutchersons. It’s 10-11k for a moderate upgrade verses being done at 12-13k. In my mind, it’s worth the extra 1-2k to be done right.

Or just throws he 39s on my SF and be done with it and let it squeak.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I love how conversations just wander. I have exchanged with Jerry on this and spoken at length
With Dan at Fusion on this. What is your draw to spin tech? I can’t imagine it’s over gas mileage. Is it just wear on the front you are looking to minimize?

Top Bottom