Heater core??

Martinrd1

So my newest issue is overheating......got a coolant flush done this morning and all was well....at first. Overheated again so i pull over and top off the radiator with water and temp stayed at the halfway mark for a while and bled the cooling system.

I figured their was still air in the system because bubbles were still coming up and no heat was coming from the vents. Once the engine got to operating temp and the heat was turned on water started pouring heavily from underneath the jeep. At first i thought it might be a head gasket but now Im assuming that the heater core has failed......anyone have any related experience? I plan on bypassing the hearer core as a temporary solution

Btw, its true what they say.....as soon as you pay a vehicle off it begins to become a nightmare!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Thats the best way i can describe it. It isnt inside the jeep. Its coming from somewhere in the engine bay. I suspect the heater core only because it starts leaking like crazy once it get warmed uo and the heater is running

If it's the heater core and leaking outside, you'd see Coolant running down the firewall area. There is coolant in both heater hoses and the heater core at all times regardless if heater is on. Try and use a light to find out roughly where the leak is starting from.

Martinrd1

If it's the heater core and leaking outside, you'd see Coolant running down the firewall area. There is coolant in both heater hoses and the heater core at all times regardless if heater is on. Try and use a light to find out roughly where the leak is starting from.

I wasnt abke to carefully track the leak down because i am at work at a fire station and kept getting calls. So maybe it isnt the heater core afterall.....but that has me worried even more now that its a head gasket. Im gonna takenit to a shop tomm and have it looked at and hooe for the best i guess. When the engine got warm and the leak started it was coming from somehere nesr the middle of the jeep right before the oil pan

WJCO

Meme King
I wasnt abke to carefully track the leak down because i am at work at a fire station and kept getting calls. So maybe it isnt the heater core afterall.....but that has me worried even more now that its a head gasket. Im gonna takenit to a shop tomm and have it looked at and hooe for the best i guess. When the engine got warm and the leak started it was coming from somehere nesr the middle of the jeep right before the oil pan

Sounds more like a water pump or tstat. They should be able to quickly find it with a pressure test.

Martinrd1

Sounds more like a water pump or tstat. They should be able to quickly find it with a pressure test.

Im gonna go more in depth tomm when i can look at it without getting called away on emergency call lol. Im seriously hoping it something easy and not a fortune to fix. Thanks everyone.

Martinrd1

You got me thinking so i went out and looked around the thermostat.....idk if this could be the cause but it does look like the thermostat has a small area where it is melted on the side of it bear the idler pulley IMG_0771.jpg

Martinrd1

Drive home this morning and when i got home coolant was pouring out of the jeep again and nothing inside so im ruling out heater core. Per another thread i just had ny engine oil cooler and valve cover gaskets replaced by the dealer (which was a whole other ordeal). The leak is definately coming from the engine somewhere i just cant locate exactly where.

Me and the dealer arent in the best terms after the past 2 month ordeal and i dont trust them with my jeep anymore.

Thats the best way i can describe it. It isnt inside the jeep. Its coming from somewhere in the engine bay. I suspect the heater core only because it starts leaking like crazy once it get warmed uo and the heater is running

If that’s the best you can describe it I suggest calling an actual mechanic. That’s like the videos of guys getting a check engine light, opening the hood and saying “yup, still there”

And as stated the heater core is always pressurized regardless of what your fan buttons are set to. It looks like it’s flooding enough you should be able to figure out where.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Martinrd1

If that’s the best you can describe it I suggest calling an actual mechanic. That’s like the videos of guys getting a check engine light, opening the hood and saying “yup, still there”

And as stated the heater core is always pressurized regardless of what your fan buttons are set to. It looks like it’s flooding enough you should be able to figure out where.

Youre right, however being that im just a firefighter and was trying to track the leak down at work with very limited resources while also having to respond to calls......i came here to see if anyone else had any input or similar scenarios....but, i am still going to bypass the hearer core for now and if that stops the leak then problem solved, if it doesnt then i can keep looking 🤷🏻*♂️

I’m surprised that you came looking for help and seem to be ignoring the help. If your CORE was leaking it would always be leaking and it would be INSIDE of your car. Your issue, as well as you have described, is in the engine bay. But if hooking two hoses together makes you feel better instead have fun.

Martinrd1

I’m surprised that you came looking for help and seem to be ignoring the help. If your CORE was leaking it would always be leaking and it would be INSIDE of your car. Your issue, as well as you have described, is in the engine bay. But if hooking two hoses together makes you feel better instead have fun.

Forgive me for coming to a JEEP forum and asking for help on a subject that im not an expert on.......im aware that a coolant leak can often be extremely difficult to disgnose so im sorry if i would like to at least try all options before i start looking into much much more expensice options. But thank you for your criticism, it was very helpful and constructive

sipafz

Caught the Bug
The leaking seems to be toward the back of the engine and you’ve mentioned that it doesn’t leak until it reaches normal operating temperature. I would look for a leaking hose, head gasket, cracked head, cracked block and damaged freeze plugs. You should probably take it in for a pressure test.

Martinrd1

The leaking seems to be toward the back of the engine and you’ve mentioned that it doesn’t leak until it reaches normal operating temperature. I would look for a leaking hose, head gasket, cracked head, cracked block and damaged freeze plugs. You should probably take it in for a pressure test.

Thanks. I am panning on getting it tested first thing monday morning. Im hoping its just a hose but with my luck it will be something major just based on how much its leaking. Lol i just want it fixed so i can trade it in on a rubi and start fresh

Top Bottom