Life hack - keeping shit in doors off.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
I've had to tackle keeping my kids toys and drinks in while doors are off. And the old ladies sometimes...

I cut up some netting and bungie cords to cover those door frames. But shit still slips through.

These velcro Wrap-its available at walmart, some zip ties, and paracord the sky or under 5 lbs is the limit to efficiently strap down for safety sake.

Just thought this was a good quick, dirty, diy thingy.

Ddays

Hooked
I've had to tackle keeping my kids toys and drinks in while doors are off. And the old ladies sometimes...

I cut up some netting and bungie cords to cover those door frames. But shit still slips through.

These velcro Wrap-its available at walmart, some zip ties, and paracord the sky or under 5 lbs is the limit to efficiently strap down for safety sake.

Just thought this was a good quick, dirty, diy thingy.

:thinking: Pics would help eliminate some of the confusion quotient just a tad!

Primo82

Caught the Bug
I think you may have over thought this one just a bit... Lol... all you need is a coil lanyard...

View attachment 333531

Lol, that would do better. The wrap it bands tend to conform around the random sippy cups my daughter uses. And i can move them easy. All i was looking for. Paracord and zip ties was more trial and error.

Just wanted to give recommendations on how to keep easily ejected crap in the cab.

Ddays

Hooked
Ok, I had to look at this on my computer - trying to figure this out on my phone was like :thinking:
I see what you're up to now. Only bad thing is that those only work once. Trailhunters version is reusable:idontknow:

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
We just did this. Was initially worried about stuff falling out but 2 can straps around the seats and 2 long bungee cords from the door latch to the other kept everything pretty pinned . Only a cooler on the floor which was strapped to the seats .

IMG_2508.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Ok, I had to look at this on my computer - trying to figure this out on my phone was like :thinking:
I see what you're up to now. Only bad thing is that those only work once. Trailhunters version is reusable:idontknow:

Sorry, probably didn't help that the pics are sideways! Haven't figured out how to fix them, or get them to post right side up...

The wrap-it straps I'm using are 100% reusable. They're basically a elastic velcro strap. I use one around the roll cage to anchor off of. The string of zipties is coming off of it, and is so I can just ziptie whatever toy my daughter finds most fascinating at the time. I also tied another wrap-it to the anchor with paracord so I can hold one of her sippy cups. Works great!

Here tare the wrap-its at amazon. I got mine at Lowes though. I'm unaffiliated with Amazon, Lowes, or Wrap-it, just think they are versatile: https://www.amazon.com/Wrap-Heavy-Duty-Storage-Straps-Variety/dp/B01MTDK1UI

I have a cheap mesh cover I made for the rear doors, just wanted to keep rocks from flinging in and hitting any of the kids. And it also helps with some objects that occasionally get jettisoned. Like my daughter's shoes. At some point I need to make something stronger to keep my 140 lb dog from flopping out...

Ddays

Hooked
Sorry, probably didn't help that the pics are sideways! Haven't figured out how to fix them, or get them to post right side up...

The wrap-it straps I'm using are 100% reusable. They're basically a elastic velcro strap. I use one around the roll cage to anchor off of. The string of zipties is coming off of it, and is so I can just ziptie whatever toy my daughter finds most fascinating at the time. I also tied another wrap-it to the anchor with paracord so I can hold one of her sippy cups. Works great!

Here tare the wrap-its at amazon. I got mine at Lowes though. I'm unaffiliated with Amazon, Lowes, or Wrap-it, just think they are versatile: https://www.amazon.com/Wrap-Heavy-Duty-Storage-Straps-Variety/dp/B01MTDK1UI

I have a cheap mesh cover I made for the rear doors, just wanted to keep rocks from flinging in and hitting any of the kids. And it also helps with some objects that occasionally get jettisoned. Like my daughter's shoes. At some point I need to make something stronger to keep my 140 lb dog from flopping out...

LOL, it's all good. When the files are too large they will post sideways. Nothing wrong with your idea, I just couldn't figure out what you were doing!

Seahawkfan

Hooked

Maybe for the dog you could pull some winch line over the hood wrap it 8 or 9 times around the roll bar. That should do the trick.:thumb:

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Not being an ass, but is it the best idea having the doors off when your kid is still in a rear facing car seat or any car seat for that matter?

My kids are 6 & 10 and I couldn't do it.... street or trail.

I may have too low of risk aversion so I'm willing to be educated. Hell, I'm getting my 7 YO a 50 cc dirt bike for xmas (and all the necessary safety gear)... I foresee broken bones, but that's the way I grew up...

I did a little searching about kids and doors off. Seems like some people were adamantly against it and others have had no issues with their doors off and small kids. I make sure all kids are in appropriately sized and buckled car seats so there is that.

I also have mesh screens that I've cut to fit the rear door openings. It is strong enough to deflect any rocks out of the cab. That was the biggest risk I see to doors off and kids.

I'm just curious what risks you see with young kids and doors off? Other than kids falling out and rocks coming in (which I have mitigated), I don't really see anything else that is a safety hazard that the doors would make a difference in. There are always larger runaway objects, hell 2 people have died in 5 years within a couple miles of my house because a semi lost a break drum or tire. No amount of door will stop that...

Anyways, what am I missing here? Does anyone have any horror stories they would like to share to educate me? I'm open to constructive criticism. Ultimately it may just come down to levels of risk aversion that everyone is comfortable with.

Anyways, cheers and I appreciate your input.

Top Bottom