Tom Woods Shaft centering ball replacement

jscribn1

I've got a Tom Woods front shaft in my JK and it started making a squealing noise. I have it down to the centering ball and drove maybe 5 miles on it after it started making the noise. I didn't know there was another grease point specific to this ball. Looking to see if you guys recommend having that replaced or should I grease it up and see what it does? I don't want any catastrophic failures leading to more costly repairs. Thanks in advance for any advice.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Does it sound like a dozen angry squirrels under the Jeep? Probably the double cardan joint. Some of them are non grease able and needs to be replaced when they start acting up. Any good DS shop can help you out.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

fiend

Caught the Bug
If there’s a zerk or grease port, squirt some in and see what happens. If there’s no way to grease it, take it to a driveshaft place.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jscribn1

It's no the double Cardan, its the centering ball that was making the noise. There is a grease port that uses a needle type grease fitting that I never knew was there since I bought the Jeep with the driveshaft already installed. I was just greasing the zirks I could see. I'm just wondering if i already damaged it or do I grease it and roll the dice??

jdofmemi

I would grease it and try it. If it doesn't vibrate, it should be fine. If you have a vibration, then get it to a driveshaft shop.

The center zerk is easy to miss while greasing. It is a needle fitting, and you have to remove the shaft to get to it.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I had a solid double Cardan, no zerks, and when it went, it just made noise, no vibration. Since you are going to pull it, I would have it inspected verses just greasing it and putting it back in. The cost of replacing the double cardan is cheap when you compare it to a TC.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Ddays

Hooked
Knowing what I know now and having experienced a catastrophic failure, It wouldn't be a terrible idea to have a driveshaft shop inspect the joint. I know it would be inconvenient, but it would give you peace of mind. I now pull both of my DS's yearly and have all of the u-joints replaced and both shafts balanced. Overkill, eh, maybe, but it beats the alternative.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As others have mentioned, sounds to me like it's time to have your shaft inspected. More than likely, your double cardan needs to be replaced. The centering ball is a part of it.

jesse3638

Hooked
Knowing what I know now and having experienced a catastrophic failure, It wouldn't be a terrible idea to have a driveshaft shop inspect the joint. I know it would be inconvenient, but it would give you peace of mind. I now pull both of my DS's yearly and have all of the u-joints replaced and both shafts balanced. Overkill, eh, maybe, but it beats the alternative.

I developed a squeaking noise under my Jeep too which I believe is the front drive shaft as I've experienced this before. I need to pull mine and have it inspected. My local shop charged me about $100 for 3 new u-joints and a new centering ball.

As others have mentioned, sounds to me like it's time to have your shaft inspected. More than likely, your double cardan needs to be replaced. The centering ball is a part of it.

I pulled mine in your garage..haha. The first one started acting up at about 4 years and 26k miles this one has been 3 years and 20K miles. I know on our fire engines the life expectancy was about 50K miles and guess what it failed catastrophically at about 53K. I also noticed I think I have a front output shaft seal leak on my T-case so I'll probably take care of that as well.

jscribn1

Thanks for all the replies, I had my Jeep guy look at it and he said it looked good. No rust or excessive wear on the centering ball or metal shavings so I'm going to grease it and see how it goes.

jscribn1

Got it greased up and installed. Been driving on it for a week or so and no issues to report. Thanks again for all the advice.

Top Bottom