Help! 2012 JKUR - P2317 - Ignition Coil 6 Secondary Circuit Insufficient Ionization

scuzzy

I need some help with my JK. Last week I threw the code P2317 - Ignition Coil 6 Secondary Circuit - Insufficient Ionization. I tried looking it up but all the threads I found didn't lead to a conclusion on what the issue is. I replaced all 6 Coils and Spark Plugs and the issue went away..or so I thought. 6 days later and the code is back.

On my lunch break today I decided to wiggle the coil pack harness around a little bit while it was idling. Didn't seem to make a difference. So I started limping it home (live a couple of miles away) and it was misfiring pretty bad. Then about halfway home it stopped and started running smoothly again. I cleared the code out and it idled and revved fine and code didn't come back right away like it did this morning.

What could cause this intermittent issue?

Does anyone have any experience with this code? What is the solution?

TYIA

The magically fixed itself part makes me think a wire is shorting or damaged somewhere. While it was misfiring was the engine light flashing?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

scuzzy

The magically fixed itself part makes me think a wire is shorting or damaged somewhere. While it was misfiring was the engine light flashing?

Yea the first time the code came on it was not missing, just running slightly rougher than normal. No code for misfire. The second time it came on it was definitely missing, stuttering pretty bad. CEL was flashing and got the P0306 cylinder 6 misfire code.

The starter just took a dump on me so I have a new one coming today. The starter spins but doesn't engage the ring gear. Interesting timing on the starter solenoid failure. I wonder if this going out could have caused the code I am getting since it is under cylinder 6. The harness is in that area so if it was causing an intermittent short.. idk

jeeeep

Hooked

this ^^

- check the wiring, make sure there isn't any corrosion or burned wiring.

At night or where it's dark, have someone start it up while you look for arcing sparks around the coil wiring and area around the coil.

you can also use a spray bottle with plain water and mist the area, you'll see sparks where you can invesigate closer

JK07

Sorry, I see that you replaced all coil packs already. I am personally beginning to lean towards replacing the engine harness as a preventative step since chasing these things down is a real pain. The loom and tape on the original harness in several spots is worn, missing and or brittle.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

scuzzy

this ^^

- check the wiring, make sure there isn't any corrosion or burned wiring.

At night or where it's dark, have someone start it up while you look for arcing sparks around the coil wiring and area around the coil.

you can also use a spray bottle with plain water and mist the area, you'll see sparks where you can invesigate closer

I looked at them when I was replacing the plugs and coils but didin't see anything out of the ordinary. I've wiggled the coil pack harness around while it was idling and it didn't change the way the engine ran. I will take a look tonight while its dark to see if I see anything. With the water mist, am I looking for the glare of the spark in the water or using the water to help make the spark happen?

Last edited:

scuzzy

Sorry, I see that you replaced all coil packs already. I am personally beginning to lean towards replacing the engine harness as a preventative step since chasing these things down is a real pain. The loom and tape on the original harness in several spots is worn, missing and or brittle.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Are you still getting the code after the coil replacement? my loom is pretty bittle too. It cracks and falls off everywhere I touch it.

jeeeep

Hooked
I looked at them when I was replacing the plugs and coils but didin't see anything out of the ordinary. I've wiggled the coil pack harness around while it was idling and it didn't change the way the engine ran. I will take a look tonight while its dark to see if I see anything. With the water mist, am I looking for the glare of the spark in the water or using the water to help make the spark happen?

water mist will help make the spark be more visible

water mist will help make the spark be more visible

Also listen for the “snap” noise when it arcs

Spark air fuel compression. Keep checking off the list, and Incase you didn’t check spark plugs that come “pre gapped” are almost always wrong so always check your gap, and the fancy expensive plugs normally make your ignition system less efficient than cheapy coppers in my experience.

scuzzy

Also listen for the “snap” noise when it arcs

Spark air fuel compression. Keep checking off the list, and Incase you didn’t check spark plugs that come “pre gapped” are almost always wrong so always check your gap, and the fancy expensive plugs normally make your ignition system less efficient than cheapy coppers in my experience.

I gapped all of the factory MOPAR plugs to .044 before installing them. I should be doing the compression and leakdown test today

Top Bottom