Oil Cooler Replacement Troubles...

Eggdashure

Hi all,

My 2012 JKUR 3.6L Pentastar was leaking coolant profusely from the back side of the engine (both sides). I diagnosed the issue to the Oil Cooler and ordered a replacement. I studied manuals and watched YouTube videos in preparation of the repair. I worked my way down through the engine, and managed to get the Oil Cooler out and the new one in. (The old oil cooler had a split on one side that was leaking coolant.)

It was recommended that I replace the spark plugs while I had everything open, so I did that as well. While pulling the coils out, one coil separated from the boot. I got the boot out and it fit back on the coil pack properly so I continued and reinstalled it.

Then I buttoned everything up, did a quick oil change and thought I was good to go. When I turned the Jeep over, it sputtered and was running really rough so I turned it off and waited about 10 minutes. I came back after 10 minutes started it again and it seemed to startup just fine. Then I tried putting it in gear and heard a weird knocking and 'poofing' sound, almost like a misfire.

I suspect the coil pack that broke apart might be the issue, but I'd like some thoughts on if I missed a connector or something else.

The Jeep threw a ton of codes:
P0123 - Throttle Position Sensor
P0108 - Manifold Absolute Pressure
P0222 - Throttle Position Switch

Appreciate any thoughts! Knowing my luck, I'll have to pull it all apart again. 😕

Thanks!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
1. You lost me at you have coolant leaking out of the motor so you replaced the oil cooler [emoji848]

2. Make sure you plugged everything back in. MAP could be unplugged and same with the throttle body

Eggdashure

1. You lost me at you have coolant leaking out of the motor so you replaced the oil cooler [emoji848]

2. Make sure you plugged everything back in. MAP could be unplugged and same with the throttle body

Yeah, replacing the oil cooler for a coolant leak sounds weird, but the 2012 and up 3.6L JK's have a oil cooler that has coolant pumped through it. All plastic of course. 🙄

Map sensor and Throttle Body are both plugged in. Thanks again for the ideas!

Eggdashure

Ended up being the new plugs. Swapped out the old ones and the Jeep is running again. I'll figure out which one is bad and get it replaced. Thanks again for the ideas!

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Ended up being the new plugs. Swapped out the old ones and the Jeep is running again. I'll figure out which one is bad and get it replaced. Thanks again for the ideas!

I wouldn’t think it would be that bad, but did you make sure they were gapped correctly?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I wouldn’t think it would be that bad, but did you make sure they were gapped correctly?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

If the ceramic was cracked on the new plugs out of the box or if he over tightened them and cracked them they would cause the misfire

Antifreeze runs through the Oil cooler to help cool the oil near the filter. There are some small o-rings that could of gone bad.

I would check the fuel connection at the injector manifold.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Antifreeze runs through the Oil cooler to help cool the oil near the filter. There are some small o-rings that could of gone bad.

I would check the fuel connection at the injector manifold.

Yea I wasn’t aware of the location of that and didn’t know coolant ran thru the cooler

Top Bottom