Roof Racks/tents/overland

brittcarrillo

Soooo im on my way to building my very own overland jeep!!! Im excited, but for those of you out there what do you guys run/have recommend ! Post pictures. Im traveling around U.S.A in Nov and will be taking the Jeep :) let me knowww

jorgelrod

Hooked
The Better question would be, do you plan to go and camp of the beaten path mostly or do you plan to do stuff like hit Jeep trails as well. This is one of the most important question never asks when thinking about a rooftop tent. Putting a tent up top alters your center of gravity and will make your Jeep tippy-er.

If you plan to hit trails that are on the harder side while you travel like Hell's Revenge in Moab for example, a rooftop tent might not be the best option. If on the other hand you are planning just to camp mostly and the Jeep is just a tool to get to the more secluded lake spot or hit a trail but not go hardcore then yeah go for a rooftop tent but remember they tend to be more expensive, have less space and there is a matter of weight that you can put on the rack, meaning someone on the heavy set like me might find myself too close to the weight limits of the roof racks when you add tent weight, my wife, and whatever else I take up there.

PokerStogey

IMG_6563.jpg

Did the Rubicon with my RTT (probably considered a moderate trail???) without issue and my tent is heavy... I run the Gobi Stealth rack. A little on the pricey side but the lines were worth it to me

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

bhaner

View attachment 333647

Did the Rubicon with my RTT (probably considered a moderate trail???) without issue and my tent is heavy... I run the Gobi Stealth rack. A little on the pricey side but the lines were worth it to me

Wow! Quite the setup!

How does the back attach? I thought about doing a rack system on mine... But with all the armor and aftermarket crap it is hard to find something that would still work.

PokerStogey

Wow! Quite the setup!

How does the back attach? I thought about doing a rack system on mine... But with all the armor and aftermarket crap it is hard to find something that would still work.

IMG_8289.jpg
Don’t see why armor would get in the way at all... in the rear it attaches from underneath. Up front ot attaches to the a-pillar. Remove four bolts up front and the whole rack tilts back to allow hardtop removal as well. Pretty happy with it over all for what we do out there.

Brute

Hooked
I ran the Rubicon with a rtt as well; would prefer not to do it that way again...it changes your cog quite a bit

Noble Woodsman

View attachment 333676
Don’t see why armor would get in the way at all... in the rear it attaches from underneath. Up front ot attaches to the a-pillar. Remove four bolts up front and the whole rack tilts back to allow hardtop removal as well. Pretty happy with it over all for what we do out there.

I also run the gobi stealth on a 2015 JKUR. My rack (from 2015) bolts to the frame rails in the rear using the same mounting holes that are used by many aftermarket rear bumpers, so my gobi instructions included a list of bumpers that were NOT compatible with the rack due to this. If I recall correctly, the ARB rear tire carrier bumper was one that was not compatible. Current gobi racks do not have this issue to my knowledge.

Regarding rooftop tents, another point to consider is that the tent effectively makes the roof rack useless for anything else, because the tent is not easily removable. I use my rack for carrying plywood, extra gear, and for lawn chairs to watch fireworks, among other uses.

The gobi stealth adds about 7" of height to the jeep without the tent. If you need regular access to parking garages, a roof rack can be problematic when running a lift.

Although the rack tilts backward to remove the hard top, this is very cumbersome in practice if you want to use an electric hoist to lift the hard top off inside a garage. To do so, you would need to drive in forward with the rack already flipped back, then lift the hard top off high enough to clear the jeep, then reverse out of the garage to flip the rack back down. The LoD sliding rack seems like a better option, if you plan to use a hoist inside a garage, because it slides to the side for access.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

VerdiJeepLife

Ursa Minor

I have at least 4 friends who have the Ursa Minor system and they seem to love it. It lets them put kayaks, bikes, etc on roof yet till have a camper. Myself I tend to just use an old army cot and a Kodiak Swag. Takes me a little longer to setup and takedown camp than the RTT guys, but not that much and I have a lot less invested.

IMG_0738.JPG
IMG_0739.jpg IMG_0737.jpg IMG_0735.jpg
Front runner roof rack. Company is from South Africa and has been around for a while. It does require drilling some holes into your hard top, but it is what it is. Even after drilling the holes, mine is water tight. Other than drilling the holes in your hard top, everything else bolts into factory locations. You can run the rack with or without the hard top. You can also remove the freedom panels easily. I sleep my wife, 5 year old son, myself and 2 smaller dogs up top without any issues. If you use the old google machine you can watch some videos of the rack in action.

One thing about having the Roof top tent is, other than the weight of it, is once you have set up camp, it is a pain in the ass to have to pack your jeep up to go wheel. (If your using it to base camp). All in all, once you have the hang of set-up and tear down, it doesn’t take too long and too is what it is. My RTT is an older camping labs. If you do not already have one, I recommend doing your research on those as there are a ton of companies out now days and you do get what you pay for and the cost/weights vary from tent to tent.

Brute

Hooked
View attachment 334299
View attachment 334300 View attachment 334301 View attachment 334302
Front runner roof rack. Company is from South Africa and has been around for a while. It does require drilling some holes into your hard top, but it is what it is. Even after drilling the holes, mine is water tight. Other than drilling the holes in your hard top, everything else bolts into factory locations. You can run the rack with or without the hard top. You can also remove the freedom panels easily. I sleep my wife, 5 year old son, myself and 2 smaller dogs up top without any issues. If you use the old google machine you can watch some videos of the rack in action.

One thing about having the Roof top tent is, other than the weight of it, is once you have set up camp, it is a pain in the ass to have to pack your jeep up to go wheel. (If your using it to base camp). All in all, once you have the hang of set-up and tear down, it doesn’t take too long and too is what it is. My RTT is an older camping labs. If you do not already have one, I recommend doing your research on those as there are a ton of companies out now days and you do get what you pay for and the cost/weights vary from tent to tent.

I’m liking that teardrop...

I’m liking that teardrop...

Thank you Sir! It’s an Adventure Trailers Teardrop. It’s real nice! Bought it when my son was smaller so now sleeping quarters are getting a bit cramped. Kinda on the fence about either selling it and getting a tent trailer for my gear and a RTT or just getting a smaller RTT for the top of the Teardrop. I do like it tho and is built to last. I know you’ve been contemplating one and I would definitely recommend it! Too bad they aren’t making them any more [emoji17]. They pop up on the market from time to time.

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
I went with the Teraflex Nebo with the slat kit. I found it pretty expensive (around $1500 total)and it wasn’t fun to install(over 8 hours and very meticulous). But overall, I love it. It looks great and is way overrated for my needs. 875 static, 250 road and 150 off-road. Love the TNut set up. Very versatile and if I remove the roof, the rack goes with it. I see no purpose removing a roof only to have slats over your head.
Pictured here with the Bestop Sunrider. This wasn’t sanctioned by Teraflex or Bestop. But so far, no issues with the Sunrider open. It rides about 3/4 of an inch higher. If anything does go wrong, it’s on me, not their products. IMG_0385.jpg 58948518589__390E7B42-BE2C-48FB-ABB2-D23EB5401F4E.jpg

Top Bottom