Coolant Paranoia question

desertrunner

I've done my research on the OAT vs HOAT I have a 12 which means I should be running the HOAT 5 year version which should be orange. Confirmed this by pulling some out of my Jeep that is orange in every light setting, but I have the 4th owner of this jeep so who knows what it's been through.
Went to the dealer and the guy was trying to tell me there was green, orange and pink and that the pink was the 5 yr the orange was the 10 yr and the green obviously the 3. Knowing I have a 12 and using this forum I said just give me the 5yr assuming he was the idiot and left.
Come to find out I'm not so sure what to think now because the 5yr while orange also looks very pink making me paranoid. It is a concentrated bottle so maybe that's the difference but here are the pictures

Right bottle is out of my Jeep left bottle is the new concentrate.

So did something change with the 5yr that makes it pink? Do I have the wrong stuff in my jeep? The part number is correct for the 5yr bottle from the dealer. What am I missing here? 20190827_133035.jpg 20190827_133112.jpg 20190827_133145.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I started down this rabbit hole a while back. I finally ended up just doing a complete flush and putting in Zerex (G-05?) for peace of mind.

All I can say is good luck bro. After doing painful research between orange and purple (I’m sure you’ve seen the very informative thread on here), I finally checked the coolant in my ‘16 and it’s pink as fuck. I’m the second owner so who knows...Probably will do a full flush and refill with the manufacturer recommended stuff before next season....

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

desertrunner

Ughhhhh I was just trying to top it off before this weekend trip haha that huge write-up thread on here is awesome and when my resi was orange I figured sweet I'm good to go, grab some 5yr orange from the dealer and g2g..... This shit is anoying. My resi has no signs of pink or purple which to me says 5yr but the dealer bottle being pink makes me nervous.

Don't have time for a full flush before this weekend guess it will have to wait

naysjp

Caught the Bug
Chrysler does annoying things with the Jeep but this coolant crap has got have been the biggest PITA. I topped off last year with some I got from the dealership and my struggle was the change of the part number but I had the right stuff. Now there is 5 yr or 10yr. Oy vey. Yeah, I read that article about HOAT vs OAT (very good article) several times before buying and after buying.

desertrunner

I did call the dealer back and they mentioned that places like Napa sell the 5 year stuff that is a little different color and that my Vin matches the 5 year and that I bought the right stuff. Of course being the 4th owner it's tough to know what was added in a previous life and the only way to know for sure is a full flush. I bought it with 40k miles so in theory the coolant system should have never been touched for service but you never know. My jeep has been running just fine but I'm below the min line on my coolant so I was going to top it off. I guess I'll wait till after this weekend to do a full flush and fill it with the 5yr stuff I know I should have that apparently has a pink tint to it now....

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I've done my research on the OAT vs HOAT I have a 12 which means I should be running the HOAT 5 year version which should be orange. Confirmed this by pulling some out of my Jeep that is orange in every light setting, but I have the 4th owner of this jeep so who knows what it's been through.
Went to the dealer and the guy was trying to tell me there was green, orange and pink and that the pink was the 5 yr the orange was the 10 yr and the green obviously the 3. Knowing I have a 12 and using this forum I said just give me the 5yr assuming he was the idiot and left.
Come to find out I'm not so sure what to think now because the 5yr while orange also looks very pink making me paranoid. It is a concentrated bottle so maybe that's the difference but here are the pictures

Right bottle is out of my Jeep left bottle is the new concentrate.

So did something change with the 5yr that makes it pink? Do I have the wrong stuff in my jeep? The part number is correct for the 5yr bottle from the dealer. What am I missing here? View attachment 333626 View attachment 333627 View attachment 333628

This thread will help

ATTENTION: Know Your Jeep JK Wrangler Coolants and Save Your Engine!
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=13239

desertrunner

My coolant is very much orange and the dealer 5 year is orange with a pink tint shows no signs of purple so.... I am probably fine but the ramifications of being wrong is enough to make me want to do a full flush. The Jeep is 7 years old anyways it probably wouldnt hurt. Just stupid that this kind of confusion exists with some shitty results if you get it wrong

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
My coolant is very much orange and the dealer 5 year is orange with a pink tint shows no signs of purple so.... I am probably fine but the ramifications of being wrong is enough to make me want to do a full flush. The Jeep is 7 years old anyways it probably wouldnt hurt. Just stupid that this kind of confusion exists with some shitty results if you get it wrong

I think your overthinking it just a little bit. Your coolant is old and will appear dirtier then a fresh bottle obviously. I would use the bottle that you got but still just do a full flush and replace the tstat to be safe. Fresh flush will be good for it

nbunga

Caught the Bug
You can also just add water to get your reservoir topped off for this weekend. Then do a full flush.

FWIW, mine has been a sixteenth below the low line of the overfill reservoir at cold, and jumps up just a little over the low line while running and I’ve had no problems running it that way in the 15,000 miles that I’ve had it. Even loaded down climbing mountain passes on hot days

desertrunner

I think your overthinking it just a little bit. Your coolant is old and will appear dirtier then a fresh bottle obviously. I would use the bottle that you got but still just do a full flush and replace the tstat to be safe. Fresh flush will be good for it
I'm sure I'm overthinking it too and I'm sure what I bought is fine but as you pointed out a full flush wouldn't hurt. Haven't heard of replacing the tstat while doing it but I haven't looked into yet, guess I have some reading to do.
You can also just add water to get your reservoir topped off for this weekend. Then do a full flush.
Yeah that's the plan for the weekend. I'm not too concerned about it for this trip.
FWIW, mine has been a sixteenth below the low line of the overfill reservoir at cold, and jumps up just a little over the low line while running and I’ve had no problems running it that way in the 15,000 miles that I’ve had it. Even loaded down climbing mountain passes on hot days

Yeah mine is like 2 or 3 inches below the low line cold it definitely should be topped off, I just hadn't noticed it until I was pulling my headlights out a few days ago.

desertrunner

So I went and checked out my buddies 14 and after looking it's pretty apparent that I have the 5 year stuff. Yeah you can get the optical illusion with lights that makes his look orange red ish and purple but it's clearly different than mine. Being able to compare the two helped a lot and I am confident I have the correct 5yr stuff in my Jeep and what I bought is correct

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Fun stuff for sure. Looks like you have part #68048953AB which is HOAT (check the part # on the front of the bottle):

IMG_9502.jpg

This coolant has a pink hue. Factory fill HOAT is orange. Pretty sure you have the right stuff:

IMG_9501.jpg

If you’re still not sure, you can pickup some Zerex G05 which says HOAT on the back label:

IMG_9505.jpg

IMG_9504.jpg

desertrunner

Fun stuff for sure. Looks like you have part #68048953AB which is HOAT (check the part # on the front of the bottle):

View attachment 333662

This coolant has a pink hue. Factory fill HOAT is orange. Pretty sure you have the right stuff:

View attachment 333663

If you’re still not sure, you can pickup some Zerex G05 which says HOAT on the back label:

View attachment 333664

View attachment 333665
Yup as I look more and more I have the HOAT in my Jeep and what I bought is HOAT it all checks and I'm less concerned now. For some reason the pink threw me off a bit but it's the right stuff.

maskale

Its all jack up, check this out. The OAT from the factory came pink. The OAT from the dealer comes purple. Yes, WTF. MOPAR put out a notice about it. Even the HOAT has different shades of pinkish orange between the dealer and factory fill. So go based on your owners manual, not the color.

My 16 that I bought off the trailer and has never been serviced by anyone but me had pink, the stuff I put in from dealer was purple.

Top Bottom