Building Aurora - My 2017 JKU Winter Edition Build

Primo82

Caught the Bug
I bought my Jeep last fall - 2018. She was brand new, had 57 miles on her. I have 0 buyer’s remorse. She is a daily driver and I have every intention of running trails with her. I hit Redbird SRA the day after it opened this year and it was a blast! I've been trying to educate myself before making one of these posts. I feel a little less lost now.

Mods to date:
* Winch Plate
* Smittybilt X20 12k lb winch with synthetic rope (should have bought Warn but this will do for now)
* Recovery gear
* Seat covers, Door Entry Guards, cowl corner plates, rain cover for when top is off – Need to keep her looking pretty.

As far as the big Mods. It's taken me awhile but I’m learning and narrowing down what I want to do with her in the first 5 years. I don’t plan on making any major modifications until she is paid off and I’ve got some miles on her (need to make sure there aren't any warranty issues). I’m assuming these mods will void all the warranties… Not that I have confidence in Chrysler’s willingness to fulfill their warranties regardless… I’ll be saving/purchasing these items over the next couple years and install around her 5th bday. It'll suck looking at all these boxes in the corner but I think it's the smart move.

This is subject to change, and I’m open to other recommendations and all feedback! I’m happy to admit my ignorance with all of this, but I’m trying to learn.

* The Alpine head unit was removed from my build plan. I went with a Switchpro 9100 to control accessories. Based on feedback the Alpine system isn't as easy to configure or easy to use as a Switchpro or similar system.
Alpine X209-WRA-OR – I like my music, but this is a decision borne out of utility. Offers a nice HUD for offroading data. Also the ability to control up to 8 electronic devices through the head unit is nice. This will go in when I get it.
* PSC Big Bore XD upgrade
* Done! ARB air compressor. Not sure if I’ll do the high output or twin.
* Done! Just need to install. CB Radio and Antenna
* Evo Pro LCG CO lift kit
* D60 front and FF D60 rear axles (Right now I’m looking at Dynatrac and Fusion. Am open to any US manufacturer). Also considering getting salvage F250s and building my own, but I think I’d prefer to buy. 4.88 gears. What are the upgrades I need for a great axle? I think I remember seeing a post about pro-comp knuckles on the front axle maybe?
* E-lockers Front and Rear. I’m not dead set on these though, anyone have cons/pros for elockers vs air lockers?
* Beadlock rims and 37” tires (not sure, maybe BFG KM2s, Cooper SST Pros, Nitto Ridge or Trail Grapplers) – This is one area I haven’t done a lot of research. I like more rubber and less rim. Matte black finish.
* Body and under armor. I haven’t looked into this too much but I like Evo’s products.
* I think I’ll be needing new shafts for this build still an unknown.

Am I missing any major components to make this build work? Any quality of life or longevity upgrades I need to consider?

I think my 10 year plan will include long arms, 40” tires, and a maybe a V8. But I’ll be pretty damn happy with the above build when complete. We’ll see what the future holds from there. Here's a pic of Aurora from last fall soon after I bought her. The garage addition is my current project, should be done by Dec.

Attachments

• Aurora.jpg
    Aurora.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Recent purchases:

Uniden Pro520XL, cables, mount point, 3' and 5' firestick antennas (I realized the 5' probably won't clear my garage door)... Waiting for a nice rainy weekend to myself to install.

Zeibart Rust Protection w/ Undercoat. Got to keep that rust away. I wanted to use Line-x but they're over an hour and a half away...

Next up:

ARB Twin Onboard Air Compressor
Evo Protek Skid Plates. I'd like to do more and maybe more extreme trails, but I'll definitely be rubbing my belly. Need to protect her underbelly.

I've done a lot more reading since creating this dream build. Adjustments to my build plan:
Going with the ARB twin compressor instead of the high output one. And I'll get air lockers instead of e-lockers, the air lockers sound like they're more robust/less finicky.
Curie is off the list for axle builds. Spicer is in contention.

Edit: I went with the single high output arb compressor. Eddie seemed to be happy with his.

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
Arb lockers are the way to go! Nice upgrade list, get it all fine and head to Moab in August!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Why is Currie off the axle list? Also the knuckles you might have read about are either Reid Racing knuckles or Rancho high steer knuckles

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Sorry, been awhile since I've been on my build page. Just saw this. I marked Currie off after watching one of Eddie and Cindy's videos. Gentleman was rolling Currie D60s, I think he broke his rear passenger shaft if i remember correctly. Gentlemen made the comment "not the first time it's happened, not going to be the last." I'm not 100% sure on his setup, may be other reasons for his failures. But that was kind of a turn off.

I'm vacillating between 72" dynatrac d60s or just getting the UD60s those seem to hold up well. Just deciding if the price is worth the better backspacing. And still stuffinf money in an envelope to buy one!

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Arb lockers are the way to go! Nice upgrade list, get it all fine and head to Moab in August!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I'll be out there in a coiple years for sure! Build will take awhile to save for. Working on the ancillary stuff to make sure i have a good foundation first. Little over 1/10th of the way to one tons! I'm hemorrhaging money into a garage build right now, hoping to be done soon. And the savings will build a lot faster.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Rainy, balmy 50 degree day in Indiana. Wish we were getting snow! Really wanted to install all bits and piece's I've bought for the Jeep over the past few months. Unfortunately going to be stuffing insulation in the garage attic. Can't wait till this project is done... 20200118_113622.jpg 20200118_113650.jpg 20200118_113702.jpg 20200118_113713.jpg

JKbrick

Rainy, balmy 50 degree day in Indiana. Wish we were getting snow! Really wanted to install all bits and piece's I've bought for the Jeep over the past few months. Unfortunately going to be stuffing insulation in the garage attic. Can't wait till this project is done... View attachment 340212 View attachment 340213 View attachment 340214 View attachment 340215

We were supposed to be in the 40s but didn’t make it. We had snow last night and rain this morning so I shoveled 2” of slush off the drive this morning. High tomorrow is 18 and didn’t want 2” of ice on the drive

Primo82

Caught the Bug
We were supposed to be in the 40s but didn’t make it. We had snow last night and rain this morning so I shoveled 2” of slush off the drive this morning. High tomorrow is 18 and didn’t want 2” of ice on the drive

Leo up near south bend? Lived in Pierceton for a year and a half. From Muncie area.

I'm near Spencer Indiana. It was in the 30s yesterday. Prob hit 50 this afternoon. I have been sweating stuffing insulation. High of 22 tomorrow. Ice just sucks, but loved the one good weekend snow we had last year. Wife, kids and i just cruised country roads looking for people to winch out!

JKbrick

Leo up near south bend? Lived in Pierceton for a year and a half. From Muncie area.

I'm near Spencer Indiana. It was in the 30s yesterday. Prob hit 50 this afternoon. I have been sweating stuffing insulation. High of 22 tomorrow. Ice just sucks, but loved the one good weekend snow we had last year. Wife, kids and i just cruised country roads looking for people to winch out!

It’s a dinky little one stoplight town just north of Ft Wayne. Pierceton is close, like an hour West

Primo82

Caught the Bug
That insulation will make a world of difference. It's a major game changer.

That insulation has been sitting in the corner since the spring. Had a slow brick layer so couldn't finish exterior electrical till fall. Had most of the interior electrical done and did wall insulation in late spring. But put ceiling off to finish a few circuits. Finished wiring the last one this weekend.

This has been a long project. I enjoy this sort of work. But this is a big project and my lofe is a little too hectic to knock it out. Still, it'll get done. Hopefully have drywall up this spring.

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
That’s a really nice winter edition. I really like that color. Looks like a very solid build you have planned. Sadly, you can eliminate 1 item off your potential list - KM2 can’t be had any longer.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
That’s a really nice winter edition. I really like that color. Looks like a very solid build you have planned. Sadly, you can eliminate 1 item off your potential list - KM2 can’t be had any longer.

Thank you! The chief blue was a little TOO blue at first. I preferred the standard dark blue, but got a screaming deal on this one. The color has grown on me though. When the tops off she looks fantastic. At some point I'll add a black soft top which should help too. Cheers.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Yesterday was a beautiful Sunday here in Indiana. I wanted to install my toys in the Jeep. But I really need to get this garage ready for drywall.

Initially I mounted an electric winch to the wall, and used an eye-bolt and pulley to lift my hardtop off. I realized if I put the eye bolt low enough to clear the drywall when I install drywall I won't be able to get the top high enough to get out from underneath. My garage is a little shorter than I'd like due to some other constraints.

Anyways, I re-installed the winch in the rafters. Moved the electrical box to plug it in in the attic. I rewired the winch controller box to an electric box so it hangs from the ceiling. I'll probably make a pass through out of PVC pipe and I'm going to try to find a silicone gasket to go over the opening. Need to build an access panel under it as well.

Sorry for the shitty pics, hopefully you can see what's going on here. 20200202_172529.jpg 20200202_172521.jpg 20200202_172557.jpg

Top Bottom