Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ROOF TOP TENT : What Should We Get?

Quote Originally Posted by Brute View Post
    Tupui has a small clamshell I am looking at for Brute for that very same reason...it only opens from one side like a laptop...
    Cool - got a model number or name for it?

Quote Originally Posted by jjlong View Post
    I'm no expert, but I have a Freespirit Recreation RTT and love it! It's a few years old now and has held up great. I use the Annex downstairs for the dogs. Mine has aluminum diamond plate floors instead of a plastic composite that some RTT's come with. I've seen things puncture through composite. Also, the type of ladder you have is important. There's two types that I'm aware of, telescoping and sliding. Telescoping let's you fine tune the level and keeps even spacing between the rungs.
    That looks cool but probably a bit more than what I'm needing. Thanks for posting up though.

Nothing but a Thing Mountainjk10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Okay boys and girls, I'm gonna be honest and say that when it comes to roof top tents, I don't have a clue as to who makes what or why I should by this over that. If any of you have any experience with one, I'd be grateful if you could help school me on what I should be looking for and why. Cost is a factor and so please take that into consideration. Also, whatever we get, it needs to be no longer than the bed of our Gladiator.

Thanks for your help
    Have you looked at Roam Adventure Co. ? The Rambler is a hard shell tent thatís nice.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mountainjk10 View Post
    Have you looked at Roam Adventure Co. ? The Rambler is a hard shell tent thatís nice.
    Yeah, that's nice but again, it's too long. I will be mounting whatever I get on the bed rack of my Gladiator and it sits lower than the cab.

Knows a Thing or Two trailraider's Avatar
    As much as I try to stay away from Smitybilt products, they have a RTT that the 2nd version seems to actually be decent. but of course time will tell. but the price point is reasonable.

i don't run one or plan to but i have seen it on vehicles and it is a far cry better then the 1st version they came out with. i think 2nd version is pt# 2783
    Jeep- Adult version of lego

Been Around the Block Braxtonsag's Avatar

ROOF TOP TENT : What Should We Get?

We had a tepui kukenam Sky 3 person tent for a while and did a month long cross country roadtrip with our kids(0 and 3 at the time). We hit up Route 66 beginning to end, Grand Canyon, moab, San Juanís in Colorado, LA to pismo beach, and a ton of national parks in between. For 2 adults it was PERFECT. I highly recommend it for a soft shell style tent and if you go with it go ahead and get the premium mattress. That thing provided me some of the best camping moments of my life. Iíll update this post with pics from that trip. Excuse me being a subaru owner at that point in life.

Itís kind of important to note that almost all soft shell tents are made in the same factory like campers and just use different colors, branding, and materials. Iím not 100% positive but I believe tepui, fsr, and cvt are all essentially the same.

https://tepui.com/products/explorer-series-kukenam-3

IMG_7898.jpg
    IMG_8257.jpg
    IMG_7967.jpg
    IMG_8190.jpg
    IMG_8012.jpg

I donít have many pics of it set up, we usually explored until night time and didnít stick around long in the mornings so we could cover more ground. But it was a great time even with the kids being so young
    Last edited by Braxtonsag; 08-28-2019 at 11:15 PM.

Been Around the Block Braxtonsag's Avatar

ROOF TOP TENT : What Should We Get?

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    How long would you say it takes to set one of these up or fold it back up?
    I just updated my previous post, but youíll start out around 10-15 mins for setup and take down. Youíll get better rapidly. By the end of that trip I could set that tent up in pitch black wilderness with a phone light by myself in under 5 minutes. Itís so easy once you get the choreography figured out.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

A few years ago I was dead set on a RTT and Tepui was my choice. My main reason for them over others is that they are local to me in Santa Cruz. If I were to have any problems I could just drive over and have them take a look.

During a demonstration they had it folded up ready to roll in minutes. Obviously that would take me 10x longer till I got the hang of things. But it looked simple enough. They had me and my wife set one up and break it down also part of the demo. Super simple.
    en hopup veritas

Roam Adventure Vagabond is on my radar. Gets solid reviews and doesnít break the bank. You could get one and let me know if it sucks or not. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37Ē Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5Ē Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80