Hotoil and no start need help

Evan_Ayton

I have been researching but still not finding alot of info. Parked my 2012 jku Sahara Saturday a week ago that Tuesday i put the key in and it instantly said hot oil, the red light above the temp gauge is solid as well and the remote wont work.

I tried jumping it, charging battery. Disconected battery from 1 hour to overnight no changed. Checked all fuses and swapped relays

Both my obd scanners wont connect, well 1 dis 1 time and i got u0141 & u0101

Thank yoy foor any help

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Primo82

Caught the Bug
I have been researching but still not finding alot of info. Parked my 2012 jku Sahara Saturday a week ago that Tuesday i put the key in and it instantly said hot oil, the red light above the temp gauge is solid as well and the remote wont work.

I tried jumping it, charging battery. Disconected battery from 1 hour to overnight no changed. Checked all fuses and swapped relays

Both my obd scanners wont connect, well 1 dis 1 time and i got u0141 & u0101

Thank yoy foor any help

Were you having any issues before this? Any overheating issues?

Any chance it got hit by lightning or a mouse has been chewing on wiring?

I'm not familiar with these codes, but doing a little internet sleuthing it looks like it could be due to wiring issues, computer issues, or the vehicle could have overheated.

Evan_Ayton

No no issues prior, never overheated motor or trans, i dont baleave we had any storms, a mouse is always possible i have been looking at wires but haven't seen amy sings yet

Primo82

Caught the Bug
I'd start with the battery. Disconnect it maybe, see if you can reset the computers. Maybe take your battery in to get tested.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
I did disconnect the battery once for 20 minuts, once for and hour and once overnight to be sure.

I have a buddy coming over tonight to help le look at it. If we dont find anything i found a company that diagnoses and repairs vehicle computers for $130 i will ship to them

http://siaelec.com/product/jeep-wrangler-ecm-ecu-repair-return/

Well, after re-reading your post I was wondering if the battery was failing. It could cause your computers to act up because they aren't getting enough voltage or current. You should be able to pull your battery and take it to a battery shop to test. If the battery went bad no amount of charging will help.

It sounds like everything stopped working after seeing the initial codes, is that a right assumption? If you turn your key to accessory do the lights and stuff turn on or is it dead dead? That's kinda why I'm thinking that direction. But it's really tough truly diagnosing an issue based off codes...

If you didn't have an electrical event I'm guessing your computers are fine. At that point I'd probably have it towed to a shop with a better reader. Good luck!

jesse3638

Hooked
Typically the HOTOIL indicator comes on when you've overheated your auto transmission. This can happen when pulling a lot of hills and it's shifting a lot especially if you have larger than stock tires and did not calibrate the computer or the larger size. This can also happen when trying to stay in too high of a gear and "lugging" it. Have any of these things happened recently? Also usually after it cools down it'll go off and restart just fine. Maybe check the trans temp sensor and see if its damaged or in need of replacing.

Last edited:

Evan_Ayton

Everything come on with the when the key turns windows and all work. I will have the battery tested as well

Unfortunately i only have 1 key was planning to get a second made soon

Evan_Ayton

After sending the computer to be tested and replacing the tiom i took it to the dealer. They had it a week and finally found 3 broken wires. 1 under tipm location 1 along the frame and 1 under the dash. Replaced wires and fired right up as nothing was wrong

JKbrick

After sending the computer to be tested and replacing the tiom i took it to the dealer. They had it a week and finally found 3 broken wires. 1 under tipm location 1 along the frame and 1 under the dash. Replaced wires and fired right up as nothing was wrong

Glad you got it fixed, going to schedule mine in soon, I’m giving up

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

What is yours doing?

Well, wipers stuck on 24/7, dash is dead, headlights on all the time, no dome light, no turn signals, tried the sway bar today didn’t work, I’ve had the tipm repaired and that did nothing, the windows may not work either I don’t remember

Last edited:

Evan_Ayton

Well, wipers stuck on 24/7, dash is dead, headlights on all the time, no dome light, no turn signals, tried the sway bar today didn’t work, I’ve had the tipm repaired and that did nothing, the windows may not work either I don’t remember

Where did you have it teapired? I got a reman one from maks tipms. They have a 30 return policy so you can swap one it if doesnt change send it back minus the restocking fee. Thats what i did. They also have great tech support to help you trouble shoot your issues

JKbrick

Where did you have it teapired? I got a reman one from maks tipms. They have a 30 return policy so you can swap one it if doesnt change send it back minus the restocking fee. Thats what i did. They also have great tech support to help you trouble shoot your issues

I used MAK’s too, actually sent mine in for repair since it’s not my daily. They said they found some things and repaired it. I called to ask about it, not bitch, and all he said was I can send it back to them it has a 1 year warranty. They are nice but I’m sure it’s hard to diagnose anything over the phone

Top Bottom