Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In general 37 inch tires 07 to 11 automatic 4 door

I installed 5:38's in my 3.8L about 2 years ago and have done some good trails (Rubicon, KOH Trails, ect.) Without any problems. 2600 RPM at 75 MPH. ORE suggested them when I asked for 5:13's

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Caught the Bug
    WOW off road evolution suggested them over 5.13. I got so confused sometimes on things like this. One person says yes others say no. With ore saying yes really makes me wounder. Then you did those trails with no problems. So is it just long term possible problems for 5.38 or just stress?

Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy127 View Post
    WOW off road evolution suggested them over 5.13. I got so confused sometimes on things like this. One person says yes others say no. With ore saying yes really makes me wounder. Then you did those trails with no problems. So is it just long term possible problems for 5.38 or just stress?
    I'm no expert, I walked in to ORE and because of everything I read I asked for 5:13's. They told me if I had the 3.6 then 5:13 is the way to go. But, with the 3.8, he'd recommend 5:38. They really didn't seemed to concerned about offroad durability. Maybe give them a call.

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fresh Catch
    I put 5.38's in my D60 front and D44 rear (using wheel adapters for now). I know I'm tempting fate a little with the rear right now, but I expect I'll replace it in a couple years. Hopefully it'll live that long if I go easy on it...

The 5.38's have been very nice for daily living near Denver. It's still a dog on mountain passes, so it's not like the 5.13-5.38 jump is a night and day difference. If you're concerned about the strength (which is a reasonable), then I'd stick with the 5.13's. I think you'd be fine in Chicago with 5.13's so long as you can deal with a relatively small difference on mountain passes a couple times per year.

BTW, I have an 09 with an auto.

EDIT: Both shops that I talked with in Denver strongly recommended the 5.38's in Denver with the 3.8l + auto. I also got advice when ordering through Fusion 4x4. The odds that the 5.38's will break are substantially higher than for the 5.13's. However, the odds are still *relatively* low. How hard will you wheel it? How bad would you feel if you're the guy that blows a set of gears on a trail and makes everyone wait/help? I plan on nursing the D44 along on less gnarly trails until I can replace it. I don't want to be that guy
    Last edited by FenderBender; 09-11-2019 at 04:24 PM.

Nothing but a Thing nmwranglerx's Avatar

In general 37 inch tires 07 to 11 automatic 4 door

I have an 07 auto and 37s. I went with 5.13 just for a little more peace of mind on the trails. Sure, it’s a dog on freeway mountain passes but I doubt 5.38 is going to make a huge difference. If you are after power, you need to look at V8 options.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    "all roads lead somewhere" -anonymous

Caught the Bug
    Well I was drinking a few beers and decided to call off road evolution and they do actually say to install 5.38 witch shocked me. I guess it's just a chance people take when they install 5.38 vs 5.13 cause I really would hate to have to limp the jeep home cause I broke a gear.

Well I was drinking a few beers and decided to call off road evolution .....
    This is the best way to make purchase decisions to build a Jeep. You can build some really cool shit doing it this way. #beenthere #BuildNowPayLater
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Caught the Bug
    You mean to tell me while you drunk you should not build the jeep? dam that's when i spend the most money.

You mean to tell me while you drunk you should not build the jeep? dam that's when i spend the most money.
    Same here, lol.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12