Changing plugs/Wires on 2007 3.8l

El Burro

Was it worth the agony? Yes. Rig runs amazing now! Gaps were all off and set for a 3.6l previous. Did anyone on YouTube tell the audience that routing the plug wires on the 1,3,5 bank would actually bring you to tears as a grown man? No.

You can change the coil pack, 2,4,6 bank, re wire and have a wonderful Margarita or two in about 30 minutes, including salting in the rim.

The remaining 2 hours will be spent fishing 1,3,5 wires through the mass of CF’edness behind the motor to get back to the coil pack. Forget about getting #5 plug out.. took 5 minutes and everyone bitches about it. Swivel extension? Anyone? No one says a word about getting the wires back to the coil. That’s the TRUE FUN!

I know some of you know what I’m talking about... and no, I didn’t take pics or vid because ‘swear words’.

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
There is a write up on this in the forum. And yeah there's a string trick to fish the plug wires through the mess.

Overall when I changed mine it wasn't to much of a hassle either. I just replaced the plastic tray along with the plugs and wires.

jeeeep

Hooked
just got done doing this but this time I just pulled the old wires out and using a step ladder and getting a bird's eye view i was able to fish the new wires thru by hand no issues.

I have removable inner fenders that make swapping out plugs on the passenger side easy

blazer

Caught the Bug
The wires on the passenger side are a pain. I made it simple by running the 3 wires from the coil pack over the top of'
the engine and not going behind the block. Wrapped the wires in the hard plastic spring like insulator to prevent electric
arcing. Never a problem and its been 40k miles. Keep things simple.

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
go through the wheel well on the passenger side, so much easier reaching the back spark plug on passenger side, then tape the two ends of the spark plug wires together and pull through.

Top Bottom