Intermittent Starts?

SlyWit

2008 Wrangler JK RUBI 56Kmi. 2D...,
Every once and a while when I go to start my HEEP, I turn the key and "CLICK!"

Sometimes it might take one my try, and "BANG!" fires right up.
Other times, it might take 3, 4, 5, tries?

Any thoughts ? Thank you all for your KIND input!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
2008 Wrangler JK RUBI 56Kmi. 2D...,
Every once and a while when I go to start my HEEP, I turn the key and "CLICK!"

Sometimes it might take one my try, and "BANG!" fires right up.
Other times, it might take 3, 4, 5, tries?

Any thoughts ? Thank you all for your KIND input!

Starter solenoid could be in its way out. Would check simple things like battery ground first tho

SlyWit

Starter solenoid could be in its way out. Would check simple things like battery ground first tho
Cool I will start with the Ground first. I HATE ELECTRICAL ISSUES!!! I can do anything mechanical, but electrical, I start to worry...
Thanks,
~ D

SlyWit

Is the Starter solenoid on the starter, I know stupid question, but I ask the stupid ones then Im not being stupid under the jeep!
Thanks again COZ ~ D

Torrin

I believe the solenoid is mounted on the starter. It could also be a loose battery wire. Take them both off, clean them up and tighten them up. I had almost the same problem on my 2007 and it was slightly corroded slightly loose positive cable.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Is the Starter solenoid on the starter, I know stupid question, but I ask the stupid ones then Im not being stupid under the jeep!
Thanks again COZ ~ D

Yes it is mounted right on the starter. The small little cylinder. Will be easier and cheaper to replace the starter if that is the issue.

Since you said all it does is go “click” when you try and start (1- multiple times) makes me think it’s the starter.

BaddestCross

Yes it is mounted right on the starter. The small little cylinder. Will be easier and cheaper to replace the starter if that is the issue.

Since you said all it does is go “click” when you try and start (1- multiple times) makes me think it’s the starter.
I read it that he turned the key multiple times, but your advice makes sense if I misunderstood.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Ruvicon

My ‘08 JKUR does the same thing once in a while, but if I move the automatic transmission selector, it works. Mine probably is the neutral safety switch also.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jjlong

My 08 does the same thing, but only a couple times per month. I changed the starter but still does it. Takes about 3-4 try's before it'll start and then won't do it again for a few weeks. Weird!

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

SlyWit

My 08 does the same thing, but only a couple times per month. I changed the starter but still does it. Takes about 3-4 try's before it'll start and then won't do it again for a few weeks. Weird!

...and see that there is the problem. I will change it, and probably get the same results. And being OCD doesn't help in this matter one bit!

jjlong

...and see that there is the problem. I will change it, and probably get the same results. And being OCD doesn't help in this matter one bit!
This will put your OCD into overdrive! After changing the starter, I couldn't get it to turn over...it would just click, click, click! Tried it for 10 minutes and it never started. I put the old starter back in and it started right up and didn't give me any trouble for over a month. Now its back to every few weeks. Figure that one out???

Top Bottom