Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Paint Protection

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    We purchased a pressure washer about 2 years ago. I bet we've used it 30 times or more. As much as we're out on the trails, it was worth it to us. As far as wax, I've done the WJ twice and never done the JK. This will be the first time if this stuff is really the same as hand wax. We're going to wash it and clay bar it first.
    Even with the power washer, it never gets fully clean. That is part of the reason I don't bother waxing, its frustrating to spend 30 minutes blasting it with water only to see more mud and shit. I gave up and just deal with a consistently dirty Jeep. Honestly, laziness is the main reason, but it is irritating. Still, I hope your results motivate me to get it together and properly clean mine.

It's supposed to be wash and rinse or wash and dry with NO buffing. We shall see.
    Interesting, hopefully it works well!

Quote Originally Posted by morricus View Post
    Even with the power washer, it never gets fully clean. That is part of the reason I don't bother waxing, its frustrating to spend 30 minutes blasting it with water only to see more mud and shit. I gave up and just deal with a consistently dirty Jeep. Honestly, laziness is the main reason, but it is irritating. Still, I hope your results motivate me to get it together and properly clean mine.
    I get it. As much as we use ours, the pressure washer just takes off the big stuff. We've waxed the WJ just because it's 20 years old and for paint protection. We took your approach with the JK because it's daily driven with mud/snow/etc and that's not going to change. It just stays semi-dirty; No need to wax it. But now that we're getting another Jeep and keeping the others, we're hoping for some low maintenance protection that really works without wasting a bunch of time on all 3. And as I said in the beginning, if ceramic coating really lasts for several years, I'll gladly spend the money. But this is a compromise that I hope is beneficial.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

So we're going to try out this shit tomorrow: McGuiar's Hybrid ceramic wax. Supposedly has ceramic molecules in it. It's gotten great reviews at a much cheaper price. I'll post a review tomorrow and follow up in a few months.

Attachment 334274
    Iíve used a bottle of this over the summer. Meh. First application make sure to rub it in and then rinse. And Your next couple washes youíll be able to spray and rinse. Iíll probably get it again to spray something on the under side of the tub where I canít reach.

I think a solid day of clay bar and a 1,2&3 step process for cleaning and waxing is still better.

So we're going to try out this shit tomorrow: McGuiar's Hybrid ceramic wax. Supposedly has ceramic molecules in it. It's gotten great reviews at a much cheaper price. I'll post a review tomorrow and follow up in a few months.

Attachment 334274
    Interested to see what you think of this product. My Jeep is admittedly a pavement princess and I keep it clean. I wax once a year with Turtle Wax Carnauba, wash only to rinse salt or occasional mud. Most of the time I use Rain-x Detailing Spray to deal with dust and rain spots. The rain-x seems to work well in prolonging the life of the wax, but it does require some hand buffing with my black paint.

We did a ceramic coat on the Bronco...no regrets. For my jeeps, I just power wash them and dry with microfiber towels...

Iíve had a professional ceramic coating applied to one of my cars. Pretty sure all they did was charge me a lot of money. I saw zero difference.

Now I do it myself. I donít play with ceramics though cause cancer scares me and most at home stuff is really really nasty shit you donít want to breath or touch.

Clay bar, paint correct if needed, sealant, wax. In that order. Usually takes an entire day.

I like chemical guys products and their ďjet sealĒ seems to last a long time.

If you only do one thing. Clay bar your vehicle. A lot of guys go straight to wax or sealants without truly getting their vehicle clean. Then are not happy with the results thinking they got ripped off with a cheap wax.
    en hopup veritas

I use a lot of chemical guys stuff. One thing I have learned is that proper prep of the paint allows the waxes and sealants to hold and last longer. I recently used a clay bar on my jeep before apply new wax and it pulled so much crap out of my paint that the wash prior to it didnít remove. Two months lasted and cleaning my jeep is still super easy cause of how protected the paint is.

Applying ceramic is very expensive because the stuff is expensive for one, and two cleaning and prepping everything before hand takes a while. Have debated doing ceramic on knuckles for a while now
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JK
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assis

jlwrangler.com

Nothing but a Thing boardsurfer's Avatar
    WJCO, I've used that stuff on my Jeeps for most of this year. It is super confusing at first to get it to apply properly without looking like ass. My Renegade, being new, looks really really good. My Jeep looks really good but because it's white, it doesnt show the gloss quite as well. The wife's red Jeep looks really good though.

Iím a fan of quick detailers and spray waxes... Itís fast & easy to do a few times a year.... and you can spray that shit on everything: hardtop, plastic, bumpers, sliders etc.... I usually clay bar the hood now & then because it takes the most abuse... and a high quality polish is good to spot remove any bad pinstripes. Usually I wash the Jeep real good one day... then follow up the next day (no lingering water) with a spray detailer... 30 min to an hour and Done.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast