Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paint Protection

Paint Protection

Any of you have personal experiences with high quality waxes that last a long time? Both of our Jeeps are getting older and obviously show wear and some paint fade here and there. I've always waxed vehicles but in my experience, it only lasts 6 months max. I've seen a lot of detailing videos on YouTube in regards to polishes, ceramics, and even paint protection film. Some of that shit is expensive. I don't mind paying the money if it actually works but I have zero experience in this area and don't want to buy any snake oil. I'm not too terribly interested in polishing because I don't have the equipment. I'm just looking for something that I can spend half a day applying and then not worry about it for a few years.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Iíll be following along too. I here ceramics are the way to go but I canít pull the trigger without actually seeing the process and results in person.

JKBrick just had his truck done with the ceramic coating. It isn't cheap but the truck looks gorgeous. I'm thinking of getting the JL done.

Quote Originally Posted by TOPLESS View Post
    Iíll be following along too. I here ceramics are the way to go but I canít pull the trigger without actually seeing the process and results in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    JKBrick just had his truck done with the ceramic coating. It isn't cheap but the truck looks gorgeous. I'm thinking of getting the JL done.
    That's just it. Every detailing channel I've watched recommends ceramic (which they sell of course). And there are many levels of ceramic also. Honestly, I can see it looks sexy (and I'm OK with that benefit), but I'm more interested if it actually lasts where I don't have to wax it every year. I'll do it myself and don't mind spending the money if it actually cuts down on my maintenance time for 2-3 years. We'll do both of our current Jeeps and definitely want to do the gladiator right away before shit gets all over it. But honestly if it doesn't last more than a year for that price, I'll just wash and wax as I've been doing already for a fraction of the cost.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    No first hand experience installing the stuff. But from my understanding itís a replacement for wax. It bonds permanently or mostly permanently with your clear coat and becomes a permanent hydrophobic layer. Wild claims that it will outlast the paint on the car all the way down to needs to be reapplied every year and everyone and their mother selling their own version make it kind of impossible to really guess how long it protects before needing attention or reapplication.

It will for sure make it look better with less effort than wax and outlast wax.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

So we're going to try out this shit tomorrow: McGuiar's Hybrid ceramic wax. Supposedly has ceramic molecules in it. It's gotten great reviews at a much cheaper price. I'll post a review tomorrow and follow up in a few months.

IMG_20190907_195340_797.jpg

I'm curious to see the results. I have never waxed my Jeep, only take it to $3 washes every once in a while and power wash it in my back yard after its covered in mud from a trail. I need to start doing this at least once a year I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    So we're going to try out this shit tomorrow: McGuiar's Hybrid ceramic wax. Supposedly has ceramic molecules in it. It's gotten great reviews at a much cheaper price. I'll post a review tomorrow and follow up in a few months.

IMG_20190907_195340_797.jpg
    Thanks for the reminder, itís been a while since Iíve waxed my Jeep. If that hybrid stuff works well I might have to pick some of that up.

Quote Originally Posted by morricus View Post
    I'm curious to see the results. I have never waxed my Jeep, only take it to $3 washes every once in a while and power wash it in my back yard after its covered in mud from a trail. I need to start doing this at least once a year I suppose.
    We purchased a pressure washer about 2 years ago. I bet we've used it 30 times or more. As much as we're out on the trails, it was worth it to us. As far as wax, I've done the WJ twice and never done the JK. This will be the first time if this stuff is really the same as hand wax. We're going to wash it and clay bar it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsouder53 View Post
    Thanks for the reminder, itís been a while since Iíve waxed my Jeep. If that hybrid stuff works well I might have to pick some of that up.
    It's supposed to be wash and rinse or wash and dry with NO buffing. We shall see.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast