Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gladiator Tow Thread

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    If you are only going to tow once or twice a year, the 23’ may fit the bill. If you are going to be a retired road warrior, either buy an RV and tow your JK, or buy a 2500 series pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

I feel like these Mfgs are trying to get tow values up on Trucks by making them lighter.... My 18 F150 with the 2.7 is rated for 8k... My 05 2500HD durmax was rated for 9k. I would never tow the same shit with this Ford I towed with the Dmax.... In my experience, Heavy trucks with power simply tow the best. They feel planted on the road with the weight behind it.... and have the Torque needed to Pull. When towing with the right truck for the job... you feel safe and the truck feels at home with the load.

Quote Originally Posted by notnalc68 View Post
    If you are going to be a retired road warrior, either buy an RV and tow your JK.
    That would make more sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailHunter View Post
    I feel like these Mfgs are trying to get tow values up on Trucks by making them lighter.... My 18 F150 with the 2.7 is rated for 8k... My 05 2500HD durmax was rated for 9k. I would never tow the same shit with this Ford I towed with the Dmax.... In my experience, Heavy trucks with power simply tow the best. They feel planted on the road with the weight behind it.... and have the Torque needed to Pull. When towing with the right truck for the job... you feel safe and the truck feels at home with the load.
    Yup, this ^^^^

Perhaps downsize the trailer to something like a teardrop?...I feel we may be going this route when I approach the 70 yo mark to simplify camp setup...if you’re truly committed to a more comfortable trailer like an Airstream, get a full size pickup...

The max tow rating is there because at that limit it gets unsafe. NEVER tow what the max rating is. I always say 1500-2k less than the max rating is about the most you should tow. That rating is there for your safety and others safety.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JK
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assis

jlwrangler.com

Towning capacity for anything has to do with so many factors, power, stopping, weight of vechicle, airflow, ect... Just look at the much more powerful 3.0 eco diesel jeep on the way, cant keep it cool enough at those higher towing weights so it drops the capacity; Things to keep in mind when pushing the limits, it's not just about can it pull it. Shoot I remember my dads old suped up 97 powerstroke pulling a fully loaded 18 wheeler for about a mile down the road to his shop, it pulled it but probably would have burned the thing up if he had to go much longer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

I love the idea of that setup! If towing power is an issue, get a basic sport and swap in a v8

Remember that you have to add the weight of the stuff you put in the camper along with the trl. And you also have to figure the weight of the water in the fresh water tank

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

I agree, it’s great in principal. If you’re towing flat thru the Midwest, I’d guess you will be fine as long as you keep your speeds down. If you are thinking of towing in the mountains and going east or west, you’ll need a 3/4 or 1 ton to tow with. Last thing you want to do is burn your Jeep up going up a long grade.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Quote Originally Posted by sipafz View Post
    Meaning that’s expensive? It has more options that I didn’t list.
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    Yes. Super expensive. Don’t they start at like $36? I would be buying a Rubicon for sure if I was spending that kind of money.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    I'd have to look at ours again but I think we were at 39,900 (3% under invoice) not including tax. Sport S with max tow, cold weather group, and aux switches. I don't think we added anything else.

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast