Loosing oil

Hello guys. I think i'm not going to like the answers most of u r going to gi e me but here goes. I have a 2014 JK Sport. I noticed my transmition was wet. Its the entire lenght of transition from front to beck. Checked fluid fine. Then I changed the oil theother day and only got back little under 5 qts. I lost a qt in little less than year. I took of the engine cover looked around the oil filter, no obvious leaks. Looked from underneath and my guess its coming from some where on top of engine near the back. Underside of engine has no obvious leaks. Anyone have this issue? Driving me crazy. Worse yet, its my daily driver. Thanks in advance for your help guys.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're seeing the oil along the transmission, I would guess you have a rear main seal leak.

dhughes16

I’m hoping he means through the last year he’s only lost a total of one quart after multiple changes? 🤷🏿*♀️

Anyway, could be your oil cooler as well. When I noticed oil on my bell housing that’s what it ended up being. There’s a good write up in here for it and the parts like ~$140 I think. But that’s only if you can confirm that’s what it is...

I’d recommend cleaning all the oils off of the tranny now and check it frequently to see where it’s coming from

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Burning oil is natural and only 1qt in that long of a time is normal. seepage is a normal thing as well. Unless it’s wet I wouldn’t worry about it. Also you will never get all the oil out of the motor and when go and change the fluid.

I change the oil every 5000 miles which time wise is more like 8 months. I have to look into cooler possiblity first since its easiest and cheapest posibility. Ill up date. Thank you for suggestions

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I change the oil every 5000 miles which time wise is more like 8 months. I have to look into cooler possiblity first since its easiest and cheapest posibility. Ill up date. Thank you for suggestions

1qt within 5000 miles is WAAAYYYY within spec. If it was a quart every thousand then that’s a problem

WJCO

Meme King
Pretty sure Chrysler says 1 quart within 1,000 miles is within spec even.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Seems like more manufacturers are going with this number.

So if you have a 5 quart system and the manufacturer recommends changing the oil every 5000 miles, then your oil pan should be completely empty when you change your oil and you are all good because you are "within specification."

AgBass01

Caught the Bug
If you are leaking oil and it's coming from bell housing area it's likely oul cooler.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom