What were the best years for LJ models?

VerdiJeepLife

Any LJ Fans out there? What were the best years for the LJ? I'm thinking about starting a vintage project and I'm just starting the research. I value this groups opinions more than that of the Interwebs.

It's 1 Owner, 2006 NOT Rubicon, Hard Top, Auto, 140k on odometer, only ever been a daily driver, never off-road. They want 8K.

I was thinking about stretching a JK, but seems like a lot of cost in doing so when I could start with an LJ.

Isn't an LJ the same as the JK but longer wheel-base? I could be wrong ….

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
2006. It was the last year in production and you could get it as a Rubicon.

That being said, I would never pay what most people want for one. Sure, they look cool but a bone stock JK or JL Rubicon will out wheel decently built up LJ any day of the week.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

That being said, I would never pay what most people want for one. Sure, they look cool but a bone stock JK or JL Rubicon will out wheel decently built up LJ any day of the week.

For the same price or cheaper.

And is an LJ really vintage?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Zstairlessone

Exactly, I love the look, but would only pay low dollar for one as a never top never doors any weather Jeep

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

VerdiJeepLife

I would stretch a 2 door JK before paying the crazy money that people are asking for the LJs.

It's 1 Owner, 2006 NOT Rubicon, Hard Top, Auto, 140k on odometer, only ever been a daily driver, never off-road. They want 8K.

I was thinking about stretching a JK, but seems like a lot of cost in doing so when I could start with an LJ.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

8K is a good price for a non-rubicon. I you were to get it, I wouldn't be hacking it up though. It'll be worth a lot more as factory as possible.

As far as wheeling goes, the JK frame is a MUCH better platform to work with. The LJ is still just a long TJ frame and it's nothing to write home about. Also, while the 4.0L is a nice old motor, it's OLD and far from being a 3.6L in terms of power. Having wheeled with built up LJ's running long arms and 37's, all I can say is that the could never hold a candle to a 2-door JK running short arms and 35's. Cool Jeep for sure and if you just want it because of what it is, it's a good by at 8k. But, if you want something you can really wheel, I would still start with a JK. But then, that's just me.

I saw a clapped out rusted 200k one asking 11,000. Yeahhh no. I don’t like the looks honestly they’re not proportional. I don’t understand why people are so enamored by them.

Jaybird 11

Caught the Bug
Would you go with a stick or auto?
8K is a good price for a non-rubicon. I you were to get it, I wouldn't be hacking it up though. It'll be worth a lot more as factory as possible.

As far as wheeling goes, the JK frame is a MUCH better platform to work with. The LJ is still just a long TJ frame and it's nothing to write home about. Also, while the 4.0L is a nice old motor, it's OLD and far from being a 3.6L in terms of power. Having wheeled with built up LJ's running long arms and 37's, all I can say is that the could never hold a candle to a 2-door JK running short arms and 35's. Cool Jeep for sure and if you just want it because of what it is, it's a good by at 8k. But, if you want something you can really wheel, I would still start with a JK. But then, that's just me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Would you go with a stick or auto?

On a JK or LJ?

On a JK, I would go auto as I would want to really wheel it especially if it were a stretched 2-door.

On an LJ, I would get it with a manual as the old NV3550 was a solid transmission, easy to maintain and fun to drive.

Jaybird 11

Caught the Bug
On a JK or LJ?

On a JK, I would go auto as I would want to really wheel it especially if it were a stretched 2-door.

On an LJ, I would get it with a manual as the old NV3550 was a solid transmission, easy to maintain and fun to drive.
I was thinking about a LJ. After reading this i will prob wait a while and find a JK rubicon.

JKbrick

Depending on your budget i would take a TJ/LJ 4.0 over any 3.8. Just one guys opinion.

Not sure about this, I’ve never seen a 4.0 that didn’t leak oil like it had Ebola, my 3.8 may be slow but it’s been dependable and you can gear it to compensate. But like you said this is just my opinion too

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jaybird 11

Caught the Bug
The 258/4.2 in my cj is a pain to keep leak free. It has a cast aluminum valve cover and i still have to put a gasket on it every couple of years. Doesnt seem to matter if i get the 80$ gasket or the 20$ one.

Heholua

This ^^^^^^.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom