Jeep - It really is a way of life

highoctane

Caught the Bug
My first Jeep was my '96 ZJ 5.2L with the Up Country package, then a '98 5.9 with a 3" lift, then my '2004 TJ Rubicon with a 5.5" Rubicon Express longarm system. I'm also a bit of a muscle car fan, having owned a '95 SVT Cobra w/ a 347 stroker and a Vortech S-trim, a '91 GT Fox with a 408 Windsor stroker/T-trim, and my pride and joy 2004 SVT Cobra with a Kenne Bell 2.8H twin screw blower and 700 rwhp.

Little bit of back story. In case you didn't know, I'm over here in FOB Salerno, Afghanistan working as a private contractor helicopter A&P mechanic. Before I left to come over in mid december, I had to sell my '08 JK Rubi 4dr on 37s to get a family friendly '13 WK2 Grand Cherokee so that my wife could have something to drive our new 1 month old at the time daughter around in. My JK, on a 3" Teraflex LCG longarm system and 37" Kevlars was just too high for here 5'5" self to reach into the backseat to a baby seat. Since coming over here I have been back and forth over what new vehicle to buy myself. Another 2004 SVT Cobra, in Competition Orange, and do an HPP twin 61 turbo build on, a 2012 GT500 and a Kenne Bell 2.8H twin screw, or, a new 660hp 2013GT500 in Grabber Blue w/matte black stripes, or another 4dr JK built all out w/Dynatrac PR60 axles, 40" Mud Grapplers, Evo longarm, Evo DTD coilover suspension, many other Evo goodies, the works.

As gorgeous and fast, and FUN as those fast cars would be, I keep coming back to how much FUN I've had in my JK. How many awesome people I've met at trail runs/meet & greets in my JK. None of the previous vehicles I've owned have compared. None of the people I've come across at track events were as cool and willing to help when broken down. There's just something about that sunset in Moab, UT, gorgeous red rock views in Sedona, AZ, and terrifying rocks in Highway to Hell - Florence Junction, AZ, that make it so much more exciting. It really is a way of life in a Jeep, that nobody who's never owned one could understand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom