Gladiator CB mounting ideas

highoctane

Caught the Bug
My first mod will likely be a cb to be able to communicate on trail rides. I’ve read Eddie’s write-up on the cross bar mounted cb radio installation for the JL, but trying to figure out where to mount the antenna on a Gladiator though. Looking for ideas. I’ve thought about the back of the cab/forward end of the bed area, or even back on the top of the bumper. Has anyone seen any mounting options?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

akdan99

Pulled the trigger and traded my JL for a JT. I have an overhead cb rack and need some ideas on where to mount the antenna and best place to run the coax in. I’m not interested in the front fender mount.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

spazzyfry123

I mounted my antenna in the OEM FM antenna location. Picked up a Uniden CMX760 that I mounted behind the glovebox with the mic on the dash with cabling run through the console. Works pretty well with everything out of the way! Need to find a new mic clip that raises the mic up a little away from the tuning knob is all.
7A28999B-CAD4-419E-AF6B-8FF96A35AD07.jpg
16E0CBC7-4224-422E-8ADE-57C6891E2309.jpg
66A75B4B-7BEE-4A74-89C5-926437B73893.jpg
BDA8659A-6F2D-4C69-BE7F-5B407B7D5AB3.jpg

spazzyfry123

Nice, what antenna and mounting did you go with for fit? Think fm would be able to hang off same mount?

The 2’ FireStik is both my CB and my FM antenna. It routes to a multiplexor (or is it a demultiplexor...?) that splits out to the FM radio and CB. It actually works quite well with my SWR < 2.0 after some tuning and cleaning of grounds.

I had intended on making it myself, but couldn’t find a good mount by itself. Ended up finding a Rugged Ridge kit intended for a JK that really had everything I needed short of the CB and the antenna. It’s grossly overpriced for what you get, but I would have spent the same making some one-off mount.

Overall, pretty happy with how it came out with not all too much more work than a regular CB install. It all depends on how much you want to hide!

ROBnTANK

I mounted my antenna in the OEM FM antenna location. Picked up a Uniden CMX760 that I mounted behind the glovebox with the mic on the dash with cabling run through the console. Works pretty well with everything out of the way! Need to find a new mic clip that raises the mic up a little away from the tuning knob is all.
View attachment 342192
View attachment 342193
View attachment 342194
View attachment 342195

Look at JeepUniq mounts. They connect to the grab handle.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

spazzyfry123

Look at JeepUniq mounts. They connect to the grab handle.

I had considered those but ended up landing on CoolTech to get it a little closer to the driver. My problem is the metal clip that the mic sits in (this screws onto the CoolTech mount). The one that came with the radio is a crappy plastic and I evidently bought an even crappier metal one off Amazon that broke on the first use. Hoping Cobra works with Uniden!

ScrappyJT

The 2’ FireStik is both my CB and my FM antenna. It routes to a multiplexor (or is it a demultiplexor...?) that splits out to the FM radio and CB. It actually works quite well with my SWR < 2.0 after some tuning and cleaning of grounds.

I had intended on making it myself, but couldn’t find a good mount by itself. Ended up finding a Rugged Ridge kit intended for a JK that really had everything I needed short of the CB and the antenna. It’s grossly overpriced for what you get, but I would have spent the same making some one-off mount.

Overall, pretty happy with how it came out with not all too much more work than a regular CB install. It all depends on how much you want to hide!

Ty!

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Recently I’ve been trying to come up with a way to mount my cb antenna in the bed area. This is what I’ve come up with so far. It’s still a work in progress.

IMG_4356.jpg

IMG_4357.jpg

I have a Cobra 75 cb installed with the box behind the glove compartment and wired up to the constant contestant powered battery wire that is part of the aux switch wiring. Coax is routed alkng the right side of the floor, under the interior panels. It exits the cab through the floor in a pre-existing hole under the storage box, then under the cab, over the frame, and up between the cab and bed, under the tonneau cover, and along the top of the right hand trail rail. 18’ shielded Wilson coax worked just right.

Once I ground the antenna mount bracket directly to the bed I’ll install the antenna and test it with my swr meter.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Antenna installed. 1.2 - 1.4 on the swr. Seems to be working great. I’ve had this Radio Shack 102” steel whip antenna for almost 10 years and it works great. I’ve never had to trim it to tune it. Only downside to my setup is I’ll have to leave the tonneau cover flipped open to install the antenna, which doesn’t bother me.

IMG_4358.jpg

jwrangler15

Antenna installed. 1.2 - 1.4 on the swr. Seems to be working great. I’ve had this Radio Shack 102” steel whip antenna for almost 10 years and it works great. I’ve never had to trim it to tune it. Only downside to my setup is I’ll have to leave the tonneau cover flipped open to install the antenna, which doesn’t bother me.

View attachment 342522

Not to jack the thread but your truck looks great! What lift tire size and wheels are you running?

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Not to jack the thread but your truck looks great! What lift tire size and wheels are you running?

Thanks! It’s the Evo Manufacturing 2.5” Enforcer Stage 4 Plus suspension kit, KMC XD232 Robby Gordon 17 x 9 beadlock wheels, and 37/12.50/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers.

Top Bottom