Axle Swap on EVO DTD JKU

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
Well...after upgrading to the AMAZING EVO Double Throw Down system I've managed to break my Jeep on the last couple hard core trails we've run. Hard core meaning I was driving like a bat out of hell over rock and broke stuff. The crazy part is I didn't even feel any of it!! The Triple Bypass Kings do an amazing job of soaking up all the hits.

All that being said I have two choices, slow down or get Dana60s. Those of you who've wheeled with me know there's really only one option.

I'm looking at getting the Dynatrac ProRockXD60 front and rear. Being that I have the EVO DTD its looks like its not a standard axle build. Given that up to this point I've done all the work myself, I'd like to get back to it. I'm a bit nervous about welding but I've got a buddy that can help. My goal is to order the axle and get the brackets welded on then install it myself.

Couple questions. How hard/involved is the wled job on this? I'm going with the 72.5" Wide Track Width with 4.75" Backspaced wheels - will those wheels work? Assuming brackets are welded, how long of a job is this?

Exodus 4x4

Honestly on a DTD and ordering axles, I would NOT go with the hardcore axles. The front axle is a pain in the ass compared to other axles. Call Fusion or someone else that WON’T charge you extra for leaving the brackets off.

As far as welding the brackets on, it’s not bad and you’re more than welcome to call us when you’re ready and I can help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly on a DTD and ordering axles, I would NOT go with the hardcore axles. The front axle is a pain in the ass compared to other axles. Call Fusion or someone else that WON’T charge you extra for leaving the brackets off.

As far as welding the brackets on, it’s not bad and you’re more than welcome to call us when you’re ready and I can help you out.

I'd have to agree with Bubba ^^^^^

Being that you have a DTD, you'd be better off getting a PR60 and NOT an XD60. When we had it done, Dynatrac had to make custom brackets AND have new bypass shocks made to make it work.

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug

Is there anything specific that makes it a pain? Can't I get the width custom made to resolve rubbing on the Shocks? Or is it the knuckles that causes an issue?

Exodus 4x4

Is there anything specific that makes it a pain? Can't I get the width custom made to resolve rubbing on the Shocks? Or is it the knuckles that causes an issue?

Eddie will know more about than I will. I just never understood why a company would charge more to do less, like leave brackets off. Maybe they don’t anymore but they used to it at least that’s what my previous rep told me. Judging by the phone call I had with them earlier today, it doesn’t sound like he was really helping me out as much as I thought.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

First off, you can't just get a standard DTD bracket from EVO and weld it on. Dynatrac had to make a special one to make it work. Again, the triple bypass shock we had wouldn't work either and a new custom one had to be made by King to make it work. The other thing I was never really thrilled about is the inability to install a ram assist the way you can with Pro 60 knuckles. Dynatrac was able to make it work but only by having the ram push on the tie-rod. While it does work, it isn't ideal and there is no skid available for it. I was able to get ORE to fab one up and weld it on but that wouldn't be something that just anyone could buy and have shipped to them.

Exodus 4x4

First off, you can't just get a standard DTD bracket from EVO and weld it on. Dynatrac had to make a special one to make it work. Again, the triple bypass shock we had wouldn't work either and a new custom one had to be made by King to make it work. The other thing I was never really thrilled about is the inability to install a ram assist the way you can with Pro 60 knuckles. Dynatrac was able to make it work but only by having the ram push on the tie-rod. While it does work, it isn't ideal and there is no skid available for it. I was able to get ORE to fab one up and weld it on but that wouldn't be something that just anyone could buy and have shipped to them.

When I spoke to them earlier today they made it sound like the skid comes with it now.

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
This is super helpful. Thank you both so much. I’m in info gathering mode at the moment and looking at all my options. The skid plate is included I The last quote I got and EVO makes an axle swap bracket kit that you can buy to weld on. I’ve already purchased that kit mainly so I can get an idea for the level of effort required. Once I physically see something I can usually figure out how it goes together. If nothing else it’s money invested in education so not a waste. I’m going to the dynatrac BBQ the day before Jeep Bash so I’ll be asking a ton of questions. I’m sure I’ll have more after that weekend.

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
Quick update on this thread. I installed the Dynatrac XD60s. Gotta say I’m pretty happy with how they turned out. They fit like a glove. Amazing on the road and off. The axle width gave me enough room to upgrade to 40s without losing any up travel or having to add any additional bump. Amazing.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Quick update on this thread. I installed the Dynatrac XD60s. Gotta say I’m pretty happy with how they turned out. They fit like a glove. Amazing on the road and off. The axle width gave me enough room to upgrade to 40s without losing any up travel or having to add any additional bump. Amazing.

That’s awesome! Glad it came together easily

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Ddays

Hooked

Pics of what you had to do in order to get the XD60's installed would be cool to see.

Top Bottom