Wheeling Dana 30 with 35s

cangro408

John fro NJ here,

I got a question for all my axle/ off road techs.
My co worker and I were planning a wheeling trip to Rausch Creek in late October. My friend and I both have similar set ups both dana 30 front both on 35s. He began to tell me before he wants to go wheeling he wants to truss and gusset his dana 30 being it’s too dangerous and risky to wheel with that set up.

Can anyone clear up this or have the truth to how dangerous it actually is. I’ve been to Rausch Creek before and I’ve wheeled blue trials at AOAA. I never had problems in the past but I am curious is it obsolutely necessary to get trusses or c gussets or both, to wheel dana 30 w/ 35s.

lmk in the thread and just in case you need to know i’m running a front stock dana 30 on method wheels w/ -12 offset 4.5” backspacing on 35” nitto trail grappler. I also have just a tad bit of extra weight from front poison spyder bumper and warn winch.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Skylar the jku

It all depends on how you drive. You just have be aware that you have a Dana 30, therefore being lighter on the skinny pedal. When I had 35”s on my Dana 30 I did some pretty hard trails over here in Southern California without any issues, with the only upgrade to it being a TeraFlex diff cover. In my opinion, I don’t think it’s worth putting money into a Dana 30 unless you can do the work yourself because paying for labor to weld a truss and gussets on will be pretty expensive. I’d use that money to save for a Dana 44. But hey, do what you want

longarmwj

Don’t even bother with a truss. Just do c gussets. I’ve been wheeling my 30 on 37s for a couple of years and have had zero issues. Although I don’t advise it entirely.

Coop

Caught the Bug
Don’t even bother with a truss. Just do c gussets. I’ve been wheeling my 30 on 37s for a couple of years and have had zero issues. Although I don’t advise it entirely.

I agree. The C gussets are what you need to stay with a D30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

six years of off roading here in SoCal with dana 30 and running 35s, no truss, no gussets. Just rolling along like old folks dancing..... no jinx!

fiend

Caught the Bug
The OPs question is whether it’s dangerous and risky. The answer is no. Unless you do something dumb like jump your Jeep, probably the worst that will happen is you bend one or both Cs or an axle tube. You can still drive it home, where you’ll probably then leak gear oil on your driveway while you get online and shop for a new front axle.

Last edited:

Jsouder53

Hooked
Been wheeling 35s on my 30 for a couple years. Never had an issue. I haven’t gusseted it yet but I do plan on it.

jorgelrod

Hooked
As most have said, going to Rausch Creek and wheeling your jeep should be fine unless you try to be Bubba at the Pismo Dunes. Still I would do C-Gussets to reinforce the CA until you jump to a better axle if you do later on...

Top Bottom