Alternator locked up almost caught fire, replacement Qs

jorgelrod

Hooked
So was driving on 95 when the red battery sign lighted up, checked the Genesis monitor and saw the batteries draining fast. I looked for somewhere to stop and when I pulled the cover the alternator was smoking like about to catch on fire.(Trust me, Ill be buying a fire extinguisher tomorrow). Should I buy the alternator from autozone or the like or is this something I better buy an oem one?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Jkratt

I have two small ABC extinguishers one on each of the rear Rollbar pieces. When I go out I carry a larger third one. One of my fears is to watch my jeep burn to the ground. Insurance just won't cover a total loss.

Ddays

Hooked
I would have that checked by a garage before you just throw another alternator in. Did the Jeep totally die? My Durango with the same 3.6 setup toasted an alternator too but before I could get it pulled over and stopped, it fried the alternator, ECU and part of the wiring harness. The alternator was smoking and about 5 seconds from catching fire. I got it fixed on my own but FCA ended up issuing a recall later on and I got reimbursed. Sounds like it could be a similar scenario. Be a shame to burn up a brand new alternator for nothing.

jorgelrod

Hooked
I would have that checked by a garage before you just throw another alternator in. Did the Jeep totally die? My Durango with the same 3.6 setup toasted an alternator too but before I could get it pulled over and stopped, it fried the alternator, ECU and part of the wiring harness. The alternator was smoking and about 5 seconds from catching fire. I got it fixed on my own but FCA ended up issuing a recall later on and I got reimbursed. Sounds like it could be a similar scenario. Be a shame to burn up a brand new alternator for nothing.

No, the Jeep did not die, it was running fine except for the Alternator getting absurdly hot and not charging the batteries.

This is the original one and it has seen it's fair share of mud from when I lived in Puerto Rico and l lived the mudding lifestyle. No codes or errors on the Jeep

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
No, the Jeep did not die, it was running fine except for the Alternator getting absurdly hot and not charging the batteries.

This is the original one and it has seen it's fair share of mud from when I lived in Puerto Rico and l lived the mudding lifestyle. No codes or errors on the Jeep

Sounds good. Hope that's all it is

jorgelrod

Hooked
Sounds good. Hope that's all it is

I had the Tow truck bring it to the house so I'll change the alternator tomorrow and then take it to an electromechanic and have them verify. At this point the jeep is dead in the water so putting on the alternator is my only way to get it to move, the alternator has a lifetime warranty so I should be covered if I burn it from the parking to the shop.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Replaced it this morning, it was completely locked, it seems to be charging to specs, on my way to the electromechanic for the all clear.
Feeling quite proud of myself [emoji846]
D17360EE-9316-4125-923F-D38C34F43C8F.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom