2 Door JKR Recon VS. waiting for a JLR.

Zephyr206

Im looking into get a, new to me, 2 door Jeep after not owning a Wrangler for about 2 years. I had a 94 Sahara YJ, my first vehicle and my daily for alomst 11 years. Then a had a TJR for a little over a year. I miss the confidence of being able to go any where and in any weather condition a wrangler gave me.

Realistically, I drive a lot of highway. But I do want a damn good weekend warrior. With my experiences with the YJ and TJR, I figured a any JL or JK would be a dream compared l to what I have had before?

I found a good deal locally on a 18 JKR 2 door Recon with only 12K miles. It's in very good shape and within my current budget.

I have test driven a few of JLR's and really enjoy them, but, at them moment, its out of my budget... Although, if I could, I would get a JLR.

So I would like some honest opinions on getting a JKR Recon now vs. waiting some time (year +?) and getting a JLR? I have also toyed with the idea of getting a a JL Sport. Although, I personally think the sports are bit skimpy for the price....

P.S. Thanks for being for being such a great community! I have meet total strangers that have beome friends because of Jeeps. I can tell you from frist hand experience, most other car enthusiasts communities are not even close to Jeep people.

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
I understand if you don't want to say what the price of the Recon is but it's hard to give decent advice without knowing the real details. I own a 17 JKR Recon I bought new in November of 17. I absolutely love it. Most of the Recons I've seen are really well equipped. In the Chicago area a loaded JLR is in the low to mid 50's. A loaded JLUR is pushing 60. If the price is discounted that much I'd go Recon but if the price isn't that much cheaper than JLR for the win.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Napalm

I would wait on the JLR. Earlier this year I was in the same debate on whether to go with a JKUR or a JLUR. I decided to spend the extra money (which honestly wasn’t that much more) and went with the JLUR. The upgrades and creature comforts make it worth it just by themselves. I would highly recommend it!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Zephyr206

I understand if you don't want to say what the price of the Recon is but it's hard to give decent advice without knowing the real details. I own a 17 JKR Recon I bought new in November of 17. I absolutely love it. Most of the Recons I've seen are really well equipped. In the Chicago area a loaded JLR is in the low to mid 50's. A loaded JLUR is pushing 60. If the price is discounted that much I'd go Recon but if the price isn't that much cheaper than JLR for the win.

It's around $36k for the JK, the way I would build a JL would be around $49-$51K. As well, the JK has every option.

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
It's around $36k for the JK, the way I would build a JL would be around $49-$51K. As well, the JK has every option.
That's only about 6 thousand less than a JKR Recon sticker price in 17'. Based on the recon's original price its not a big enough discount to make it an easy decision.

Personally I'd do the Recon. If I hadn't gotten a Willys last year, I'd be all over a low mileage Recon this year.

Couldnt wait though. Lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Zephyr206

With the upgraded front axel the Recon comes with he probably wouldn't have to..

Probably so, makes the JK even a better bang for the buck to me. But I’d also get a manual, which would negate the benefit of the JL’s 8 speed transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Well, I as able to snag it for $34K. 12K miles, and everything is in great shape. I'm definitely in the honeymoon phase though, Haha! I never thought I would get a JK, but, I really do enjoy it. This is the first CJ/Wrangler that myself or my dad had that's an auto, and it almost like cheating, lol! I do think the 8 speed would be nice, but honestly 5 speed is nice as well. Compared to my 94 YJ Sahara I DD for 10 years, this thing is a Bentley.

P.S. Sorry about the crappy first pic.

Attachments

• 20191005_183424.jpg
    20191005_183424.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 75

MericaMade

Well, I as able to snag it for $34K. 12K miles, and everything is in great shape. I'm definitely in the honeymoon phase though, Haha! I never thought I would get a JK, but, I really do enjoy it. This is the first CJ/Wrangler that myself or my dad had that's an auto, and it almost like cheating, lol! I do think the 8 speed would be nice, but honestly 5 speed is nice as well. Compared to my 94 YJ Sahara I DD for 10 years, this thing is a Bentley.

P.S. Sorry about the crappy first pic.

Nice buy. JL's are now the middle child that get no attention since the JT came out.

Ddays

Hooked
Good buy!
Oddly enough, I find my JKU to have a better seating position and to be more comfortable driving longer distances than my JLU. The two seating positions/ergonomics are night and day. I can stretch my legs out a little better in my JKU.
The JLU feels a little smaller. It's not cramped at all, just more snug.

Top Bottom